The John Wilson Orchestra announces autumn 2012 tour
The popular ensemble, led by John Wilson, will be taking their engaging retelling of the classics of stage and screen on the road in October, tickets now/Friday 30th March
Like a lot of people, John Wilson grew up enchanted by the sights and sounds of the great Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer musicals which would air cheaply every weekend afternoon on the BBC. Casually played out on BBC2 while everyone else watched Grandstand, these grainy classics with overbearing, often tawdry opening credit sequences masked some genuine Hollywood magic.
For in the Hollywood hills there was gold and it manifested itself in beautifully-produced and soundtracked musicals such as An American in Paris and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. Happy days, and, for John Wilson, enormously formative and influential times that would eventually shape his entire professional career.
Formed in 1994, the John Wilson Orchestra has found fame for delivering performances 'in Technicolor', as Wilson has led his expanded big band through the affectionate retelling of many of Hollywood's finest scores, often lovingly arranged exactly as first performed. The evocative scores of some of cinema's most memorable moments married with a selection of Rodgers and Hammerstein classics has proved a winning combination and tickets to see the John Wilson Orchestra are highly sought after. Just as well, then, that he has announced a new tour for 2012.
The John Wilson Orchestra begins its autumn tour at Birmingham's Symphony Hall on Saturday 20th October, followed by dates in Leeds, Liverpool, Glasgow, Gateshead, Brighton and London's Royal Festival Hall (two nights), before the final show of the run at Manchester's Bridgewater Hall on Monday 5th November 2012.
We have tickets available now for the two London dates (29th and 30th October), priced from £32.50 to £45. We will have tickets for the remaining dates when they go on sale at 9am on Friday 30th March, priced from around £36.
- Sun 2nd Dec 2018 John Wilson OrchestraThe Bridgewater Hall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Mon 3rd Dec 2018 John Wilson OrchestraThe Sage (Gateshead)Buy Tickets
- Tue 4th Dec 2018 John Wilson OrchestraSt David's Hall (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Thu 6th Dec 2018 John Wilson OrchestraThe Lighthouse (Poole)Buy Tickets
- Fri 7th Dec 2018 John Wilson OrchestraBrighton Dome/ Concert Hall (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Sun 9th Dec 2018 John Wilson OrchestraLeeds Town Hall (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Mon 10th Dec 2018 John Wilson OrchestraSymphony Hall (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Tue 11th Dec 2018 John Wilson OrchestraThe Philharmonic Hall (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Wed 12th Dec 2018 John Wilson OrchestraRoyal Concert Hall/ Strathclyde Suite (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Thu 13th Dec 2018 John Wilson OrchestraTheatre Royal Concert Hall (Nottingham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 John Wilson OrchestraRoyal Festival Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Sat 18th Aug 2018 Live in the Square, The Matthew Herbert Big Band: Matthew Herbert's Big Brexit BandGrosvenor Square (Mayfair)Buy Tickets
- Sat 18th Aug 2018 Trio ManoucheGreen Note (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Mon 20th Aug 2018 to Mon 10th Sep 2018 Swing Out! A Night Of Live Swing Music And DancingBuy Tickets
- Wed 22nd Aug 2018 to Wed 17th Oct 2018 The Fulham Big Band, Fundraising EventMore Info..
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 to Sat 15th Dec 2018 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues OrchestraBuy Tickets
- Wed 29th Aug 2018 to Wed 24th Oct 2018 The Fulham Big BandMore Info..
- Thu 6th Sep 2018 to Fri 5th Oct 2018 Big Boy BloaterBuy Tickets
- Wed 19th Sep 2018 to Sun 23rd Sep 2018 Bill Ryder-JonesBuy Tickets
- Sat 6th Oct 2018 to Fri 19th Oct 2018 The Invisible OrchestraBuy Tickets
- Sun 14th Oct 2018 Gwyneth Herbert: Letters I Haven't WrittenThe Albany (Deptford)Buy Tickets
- Tue 16th Oct 2018 to Sun 21st Oct 2018 John Carpenter: Anthology TourBuy Tickets
- Fri 26th Oct 2018 to Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Marc Almond...Buy Tickets
- Sun 4th Nov 2018 The Swing CommandersLittle Theatre (Chorley)Buy Tickets
- Sun 11th Nov 2018 Lance EllingtonLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)On SaleSun 26th Aprat 11:59pm
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Marc AlmondThe Hexagon (Reading)Buy Tickets
- Mon 26th Nov 2018 Ennio Morricone: 60 Years of MusicThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Mon 26th Nov 2018 to Sun 2nd Dec 2018 Federico AlbaneseBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 King Pleasure and The Biscuit BoysThe Greystones (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Thu 27th Dec 2018 to Thu 14th Feb 2019 The Glenn Miller Orchestra [UK]Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Feb 2019 and Thu 14th Feb 2019 Anton & Erin, London Concert Orchestra, Lance Ellington: Those Magical MusicalsBuy Tickets
- Sat 30th Mar 2019 BBC Big Band, Claire MartinThe Queen's Hall (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets