The John Wilson Orchestra announces autumn 2012 tour
The popular ensemble, led by John Wilson, will be taking their engaging retelling of the classics of stage and screen on the road in October, tickets now/Friday 30th March
Like a lot of people, John Wilson grew up enchanted by the sights and sounds of the great Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer musicals which would air cheaply every weekend afternoon on the BBC. Casually played out on BBC2 while everyone else watched Grandstand, these grainy classics with overbearing, often tawdry opening credit sequences masked some genuine Hollywood magic.
For in the Hollywood hills there was gold and it manifested itself in beautifully-produced and soundtracked musicals such as An American in Paris and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. Happy days, and, for John Wilson, enormously formative and influential times that would eventually shape his entire professional career.
Formed in 1994, the John Wilson Orchestra has found fame for delivering performances 'in Technicolor', as Wilson has led his expanded big band through the affectionate retelling of many of Hollywood's finest scores, often lovingly arranged exactly as first performed. The evocative scores of some of cinema's most memorable moments married with a selection of Rodgers and Hammerstein classics has proved a winning combination and tickets to see the John Wilson Orchestra are highly sought after. Just as well, then, that he has announced a new tour for 2012.
The John Wilson Orchestra begins its autumn tour at Birmingham's Symphony Hall on Saturday 20th October, followed by dates in Leeds, Liverpool, Glasgow, Gateshead, Brighton and London's Royal Festival Hall (two nights), before the final show of the run at Manchester's Bridgewater Hall on Monday 5th November 2012.
We have tickets available now for the two London dates (29th and 30th October), priced from £32.50 to £45. We will have tickets for the remaining dates when they go on sale at 9am on Friday 30th March, priced from around £36.
You may be interested in
- Mon 28th Jan 2019 Celtic Connections, The Hot SardinesThe King's Theatre (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Wed 6th Feb 2019 and Wed 13th Feb 2019 The Fulham Big BandMore Info..
- Sat 9th Feb 2019 and Thu 14th Feb 2019 Anton & Erin, London Concert Orchestra, Lance Ellington: Those Magical MusicalsBuy Tickets
- Sun 10th Feb 2019 and Fri 15th Mar 2019 The Big Chris Barber BandBuy Tickets
- Mon 11th Feb 2019 to Wed 20th Feb 2019 Hot 8 Brass BandBuy Tickets
- Wed 13th Feb 2019 to Fri 22nd Feb 2019 Bill Ryder-JonesBuy Tickets
- Thu 14th Feb 2019 to Sun 8th Sep 2019 The Glenn Miller Orchestra [UK]Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Feb 2019 to Sun 10th Mar 2019 Big Boy BloaterBuy Tickets
- Fri 15th Feb 2019 Ennio Morricone3arena (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Tue 19th Feb 2019 and Wed 20th Feb 2019 Yann TiersenBuy Tickets
- Sun 24th Feb 2019 BBC Big BandGuildhall (Portsmouth)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Mar 2019 and Sun 3rd Nov 2019 The Swing CommandersBuy Tickets
- Sat 30th Mar 2019 BBC Big Band, Claire MartinThe Queen's Hall (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Fri 3rd May 2019 Scottish National Jazz OrchestraPerth Concert Hall (Perth)Buy Tickets
- Thu 16th May 2019 and Sun 19th May 2019 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues OrchestraBuy Tickets
- Mon 20th May 2019 Ara MalikianRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Jun 2019 Camden Rocks, Ash, Rat Boy, Carl Barât, Raging Speedho...Various Camden Venues (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Jun 2019 Live at Down Hall, Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orc...Down Hall Estate (Essex)Buy Tickets
- Thu 11th Jul 2019 Kew the Music, Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchest...Kew Gardens (Richmond upon Thames)Buy Tickets