Public Image Limited set to Rise again with summer 2012 UK dates
The post-punk pioneers will follow their first studio album in two decades with a handful of summer dates, tickets on sale now/Friday 23rd March
After the show-stopping firework that was the Sex Pistols fizzed its last and blinked out, punk rock, in its earliest incarnation at least, was also on its way out. 'The establishment' against which punk 'rebelled' was no doubt pleased that the monarch-bothering upstarts had been cast far and wide and the nay-sayers quickly set about preparing anecdotes, to tell their grandchildren, of Their Part in the Rise and Fall of Punk.
A bit like Thatcherism, the noisy painful birth of British punk was an event at which even those far too young to remember now pretend to recall with sudden clarity. Just ask the tens of thousands who attended the Pistols' gig at Manchester's tiny Lesser Free Trade Hall or the millions (and millions) who didn't vote for Maggie time and again, landslide after landslide.
No, punk is everyone's favourite false memory fuelled, in part, by the episodic revisiting of clips of spotty, sneering 'musicians' hacking helplessly at long-suffering guitars while railing against James Callaghan's latest policy. It was, one suspects, bloody brilliant. Johnny Rotten swearing (swearing!!) on the telly, the DJ patriarchy at Radio One having kittens and no one knowing what this meant for Demis Roussos.
We digress. As its poster boy, this 'movement' (you have to call it that) enjoyed the blotchy sneers of John Lydon. And, after the Sex Pistols grunted their last, he quickly formed Public Image Limited with Jah Wobble and, in true punk style, became 'the first post-punk band'.
Three decades later and, after a considerable hiatus that sadly bypassed Britpop's attempt at attitude (i.e. little Liam Gallagher), PiL came back with the distinctive feel of a national treasure. The last album was in 1992 but, without so much as a 'f*** off', fresh material is expected this summer with the release of a new album, 'This is PiL'.
The summer dates kick off in Bournemouth on 31st July, followed by gigs in Reading, Wolverhampton, Hatfield and more, before the final two shows in Brighton on 15th and 16th August.
We've Standard tickets available now for Wolverhampton and Blackpool (part of Rebellion Festival 2012), priced from £25. The Brighton dates are already nearly sold out - we have some Premium tickets available for both nights.
We will have tickets for the remaining gigs when they go on sale at 9am on Friday 23rd March, priced £25.
Ahead of the busy summer, PiL are playing two shows at London's Heaven on 1st and 2nd April. We have Premium tickets for the first gig and Standards available for the second, priced from £20.
- Wed 30th May 2018 PiL: The Public Image is RottenO2 Academy Bristol (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Jun 2018 PiL: The Public Image is RottenO2 Academy Bournemouth (Bournemouth)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Jun 2018 Camden Rocks, Maximo Park, PiL, Twin Atlantic, Mallory Knox,...Various Camden Venues (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Mon 4th Jun 2018 PiL: The Public Image Is RottenThe Copper Rooms - Warwick Student's Union (Coventry)Buy Tickets
- Wed 6th Jun 2018 PiL: The Public Image Is RottenUniversity of East Anglia [UEA]/ LCR (Norwich)Buy Tickets
- Tue 12th Jun 2018 PiL: The Public Image is RottenO2 Academy Newcastle (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Wed 13th Jun 2018 PiL: The Public Image is RottenO2 ABC (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Jun 2018 PiL: The Public Image is RottenO2 Academy Sheffield (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Jun 2018 PiL: The Public Image is RottenO2 Ritz (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Mon 18th Jun 2018 PiL: The Public Image Is RottenHull University Students Union/ Middleton Hall/ Asylum (Hull)Buy Tickets
- Thu 21st Jun 2018 PiL: The Public Image Is RottenTramshed (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Jun 2018 PiL: The Public Image Is RottenLemon Grove (Exeter University) (Exeter)Buy Tickets
- Sun 24th Jun 2018 PiL: The Public Image Is RottenWilliam Aston Hall - Glyndwr University [NEWI] (Wrexham)Buy Tickets
- Tue 26th Jun 2018 PiL: The Public Image Is RottenSub89 (Reading)Buy Tickets
- Wed 27th Jun 2018 PiL: The Public Image Is RottenThe Cheese and Grain (Frome)Buy Tickets
- Fri 29th Jun 2018 PiL: The Public Image Is RottenRock City (Nottingham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 30th Jun 2018 PiL: The Public Image Is RottenEngine Rooms (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th Aug 2018 PiLVicar Street (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Tue 28th Aug 2018 PiL: The Public Image is RottenThe Ironworks (Inverness)Buy Tickets
- Wed 29th Aug 2018 PiL: The Public Image is RottenThe Assembly (Aberdeen)Buy Tickets
- Fri 31st Aug 2018 PiL: The Public Image Is RottenChurch Dundee (Dundee)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 Jah WobbleFibbers (York)Buy Tickets