Paul Brady expands spring 2012 UK tour with more shows
Irish songwriter to promote new career-spanning CD anthology, tickets on sale now
With over 40 years in the music business so far, it's hard to believe that Paul Brady's name isn't more commonly mentioned as it is. His first band, a vocal harmony group called The Johnstons, had a limited run of success in the States including a hit cover version of Joni Mitchell's 'Both Sides Now', before dissolving in the early '70s. His next band Planxty proved to be a springboard to recognition, not only for Brady but just about every key player in the folk genre - Christy Moore, Andy Irvine and Donal Lunny to name but three.
But solo life beckoned when Planxty took a hiatus in 1978, prompting the Strabane singer to piece together his award-winning debut album, 'Welcome Here Kind Stranger'. Yet despite the traditionalism of the album, Brady nudged folk aside to make way for more straightforward, but ultimately more impressive and less generic, light-rock and pop.
Other songwriters have frequently queued up to cover Brady's work, including Santana, Tina Turner, Cher, Trisha Yearwood and Bonnie Raitt. His solo work, such as 'Primitive Dance', 'Trick or Treat' (his only Top 75 album in the UK) and 'Spirits Colliding', have stood the test of time as robust grown-up examples of Irish pop. Perhaps his most successful song of recent years has been 'The Long Goodbye', co-written with Ronan Keating. An unlikely combination perhaps, but Keating has himself proven to be a fairly lucrative writer for a while now.
After all these plaudits, it's probably time for another compilation of his best work. 'Dancer in the Fire' is a soul-searching and intimate selection, chosen by the man himself, not so much for their success, but more for their personal meaning and satisfaction. It's out at the end of April, at around the same time as Paul Brady embarks on a lengthy jaunt round the UK.
It stop is Leeds on 28th April, followed by Manchester, Leamington Spa, Gateshead and many more, including new dates in Cambridge, Bristol and others, until Salisbury on 12th May. Tickets are on sale now at various prices, averaging between £19.50 and £25.
- Thu 11th Oct 2018 Andy Irvine, Paul BradyBord Gáis Energy Theatre (formerly Grand Canal Theatre) (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Fri 12th Oct 2018 Andy Irvine, Paul BradyCork Opera House (Cork)Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th Oct 2018 Paul BradyThe Royal Theatre (Castlebar)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Wed 15th Aug 2018 to Sat 3rd Nov 2018 Richard ThompsonBuy Tickets
- Thu 16th Aug 2018 to Sun 19th Aug 2018 Beautiful DaysBuy Tickets
- Fri 17th Aug 2018 to Fri 23rd Nov 2018 Christy MooreBuy Tickets
- Sun 19th Aug 2018 to Fri 19th Oct 2018 Sam CarterBuy Tickets
- Tue 21st Aug 2018 to Thu 27th Dec 2018 Brendan ShineBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 to Fri 31st May 2019 Mary BlackBuy Tickets
- Fri 31st Aug 2018 Heritage Live Summer Concerts, Van Morrison, The Waterboys, ...Wrest Park - Silsoe (Bedfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Sep 2018 Sean KeaneINEC - Gleneagle Hotel Killarney (Kerry)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Sep 2018 Sharon Shannon, Frances Black, Mary CoughlanGlenRoyal Hotel (Kildare)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Sep 2018 Looe Music Festival, The WaterboysLooe Beach (Cornwall)Buy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Sep 2018 to Thu 25th Oct 2018 LankumBuy Tickets
- Wed 26th Sep 2018 Dervish [folk]The Platform (Morecambe)Buy Tickets
- Wed 17th Oct 2018 to Fri 10th May 2019 Fairport ConventionBuy Tickets
- Thu 18th Oct 2018 AltanKings Place (Kings Cross)Buy Tickets
- Fri 19th Oct 2018 KilaThe Arts Club (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Sun 21st Oct 2018 to Fri 2nd Nov 2018 David Byrne, Benjamin Clementine: American UtopiaBuy Tickets
- Fri 26th Oct 2018 Sharron KrausCafe Oto (Dalston)Buy Tickets
- Thu 1st Nov 2018 to Fri 15th Feb 2019 Jamie Smith's MabonBuy Tickets
- Sun 4th Nov 2018 to Wed 28th Nov 2018 Sarah McQuaidBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Nov 2018 Niamh ParsonsThe Guildford Institute (Guildford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 10th Nov 2018 Derek WarfieldThe Empire (Coventry)Buy Tickets
- Sun 11th Nov 2018 Christine CollisterWater Yeat Village Hall (Ulverston)Buy Tickets
- Tue 13th Nov 2018 to Tue 18th Jun 2019 Tir na NogBuy Tickets
- Thu 15th Nov 2018 Finbar FureyUnion Chapel (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 to Fri 7th Dec 2018 The Human League, Midge Ure: RedBuy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 Clive GregsonUkrainian Centre (Doncaster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 21st Dec 2018 The Albion BandKings Place (Kings Cross)Buy Tickets
- Tue 2nd Apr 2019 Moya BrennanHarpenden Public Halls (Hertfordshire)Buy Tickets