Al Murray adds Scottish dates to his The Only Way is Epic 2012 tour
The pub landlord has announced eight dates north of the border for July and August, tickets on sale Friday 4th May
Alastair James Hay 'Al' Murray has come a long way since picking up the prestigious Perrier Award at the Edinburgh Fringe in 1999 - his alter-ego The Pub Landlord, all boorish, bear-like and 'beery', has become a comedy institution or, as he may exclaim with pint firmly clasped in outsized pudgy mitt, "a beautiful British national treasure, laydeez an' gennelmen".
Pitched somewhere between a stereotypical bulldog-breed of iffy patriotism (he doesn't like the French - "not enough rules" - or the Germans - "too many rules"), Murray's sozzled vernacular borders on so-called non-PC bigotry, yet always remains jovial, bittersweet and, above all, very funny. Some comedians rely on audience-participation, filling their act with sharp-tongued barbs and cruel asides, yet Murray's genial host, deliberately side-steps confrontation with cheeky references and gentle ribbing. You can't help but like him. Outside of his Pub Landlord persona, Murray has flirted with Gordon Ramsey on Hell's Kitchen, Comic Relief turns and a documentary called 'German Adventure', in which the irony of Al's visit to a country his alter-ego allegedly despises, made for compelling viewing, if only for the scenery and the presenter's thoughtful and wide-eyed narration.
2012 will see Murray reconvene with a brand new show and tour. With a title cheekily adapted from a well-known TV 'docuality' show, The Only Way is Epic promises to be as big as the banner suggests. The tour now starts in Tobermory on 31st July 2012, followed by additional dates in Skye, Ullapool, Stornoway, Barra, Inverness, Dunkeld and then Dunoon, on 8th August. We will have tickets available for the new dates from 9am on Friday 4th May, priced from around £25.
The original schedule resumes in Hereford on 8th September - tickets available now, also priced from about £25.
You may be interested in
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Mon 19th Nov 2018 Richard HerringBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 to Thu 26th Jul 2018 Tom AllenBuy Tickets
- Thu 8th Mar 2018 Ivan Brackenbury, Tom Binns, Ian D MontfortLeadmill (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Mon 12th Mar 2018 Keith Carter (Nige), Andy FuryHole in the Wall (Darlington)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Mar 2018 Stewart Lee: Content ProviderPerth Concert Hall (Perth)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Mar 2018 to Sat 10th Nov 2018 Bridget ChristieBuy Tickets
- Thu 15th Mar 2018 Mike MilliganThe Pot House (Hartlepool)Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Mar 2018 and Sat 17th Mar 2018 Bridget Christie, Glasgow International Comedy FestivalBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Mar 2018 Alexei Sayle, Glasgow International Comedy FestivalCitizens Theatre (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Tue 20th Mar 2018 Teenage Cancer Trust, Russell HowardRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Mar 2018 Tom Allen, Glasgow International Comedy FestivalCitizens Theatre (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Mar 2018 to Fri 23rd Mar 2018 Maria Bamford, Felicity WardBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Mar 2018 Richard Herring, Glasgow International Comedy Festival: Oh Frig, I'm 50!Citizens Theatre (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sun 25th Mar 2018 Blackpool Rocks with Laughter: Duncan NorvelleViva Blackpool (Blackpool)Buy Tickets
- Sun 25th Mar 2018 to Sun 10th Jun 2018 Brian ConleyBuy Tickets
- Wed 28th Mar 2018 to Fri 13th Apr 2018 Simon MunneryBuy Tickets
- Wed 2nd May 2018 to Sat 28th Jul 2018 Lee Nelson: Tour Extended to Cover Legal Fees for Theresa May StuntBuy Tickets
- Sat 19th May 2018 and Sun 20th May 2018 Jeff Dunham: Passively AggressiveBuy Tickets
- Wed 11th Jul 2018 to Sun 29th Jul 2018 Barry HumphriesBuy Tickets
- Wed 10th Oct 2018 to Fri 19th Oct 2018 Pam AnnBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 Jasper Carrott, Alistair McGowanBarbican Centre (York)Buy Tickets
- Thu 20th Dec 2018 Mrs Barbara NiceLeadmill (Sheffield)Buy Tickets