Suzanne Vega announces 2012 UK summer dates - tickets available now
It's been more than 25 years since Suzanne Vega briefly monopolised cool with the folky, savvy pop of Marlene on the Wall, Left of Center and Luka.
Each was a vignette, chronicling some observed drama or minutiae, all delivered with Vega's distinctively intimate vocal and with a New Yorker's savoir faire. Her songs, and the albums that spawned them, were particularly successful in the UK with eight of her first nine singles charting here. Meanwhile, just two of the releases from her first two albums made the US countdown, although that did include a No 3 for Luka.
Written about a small boy she'd observed in her apartment block and extrapolated into a tale of child abuse, Luka was typical of Vega's at times challenging take on songwriting. Her biggest hit in the UK was to be a remix of the 1987 single Tom's Diner, taking from the singer's third record Solitude Standing. Originally an 'a cappella' track that helped earn Vega a sobriquet as the 'Queen of the MP3' after it was used in early experiments in compressing audio data, DNA added some beats and Tom's Diner made No 2 in 1990.
In 2010, Suzanne Vega began releasing the Close-Up trilogy of albums, featuring re-workings of much of her back catalogue under the three headings Love Songs, People & Places and States of Being, the latter released last summer. Always re-inventing, innovating and re-thinking, Suzanne Vega remains one of pop's finest songwriters and performers and she's taking to the road in late May.
The dates begin with two shows at the Minack Theatre in Penzance on 25th and 26th May, followed by gigs in London (at Islington's Union Chapel), Brighton, Gateshead and York, before the final date announced so far in Basingstoke on Thursday 26th June 2012.
We have tickets for all these dates available now, priced from £20 for Penzance (second night only, first sold out), rising to £29.50 for the Union Chapel gig.
You may be interested in
- Sat 21st Oct 2017 to Thu 26th Oct 2017 Starsailor: All This LifeBuy Tickets
- Sun 22nd Oct 2017 Nell BrydenBush Hall (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Fri 27th Oct 2017 and Sat 28th Oct 2017 Turin BrakesBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th Oct 2017 Tom McRaeJohn Peel Centre for Creative Arts (Suffolk)Buy Tickets
- Wed 1st Nov 2017 and Mon 6th Nov 2017 Rory McLeodBuy Tickets
- Mon 6th Nov 2017 and Thu 9th Nov 2017 Mark EitzelBuy Tickets
- Tue 7th Nov 2017 to Sun 26th Nov 2017 OysterbandBuy Tickets
- Tue 7th Nov 2017 and Wed 8th Nov 2017 Mark Eitzel, Mull Historical SocietyBuy Tickets
- Thu 9th Nov 2017 to Sat 2nd Dec 2017 The UndertonesBuy Tickets
- Sat 11th Nov 2017 to Sun 4th Feb 2018 The Wedding Present: Tommy 30thBuy Tickets
- Sat 11th Nov 2017 and Sun 12th Nov 2017 Pop Will Eat ItselfBuy Tickets
- Sat 11th Nov 2017 Mark Eitzel, Bernard Butler, London Folk and Roots FestivalSt Pancras Parish Church (Kings Cross)Buy Tickets
- Mon 13th Nov 2017 to Wed 15th Nov 2017 Nerina PallotBuy Tickets
- Fri 17th Nov 2017 to Mon 20th Nov 2017 Chuck ProphetBuy Tickets
- Mon 20th Nov 2017 to Wed 22nd Nov 2017 Nina NesbittBuy Tickets
- Tue 21st Nov 2017 to Wed 13th Dec 2017 The VirginmarysBuy Tickets
- Wed 29th Nov 2017 to Mon 11th Dec 2017 The CharlatansBuy Tickets
- Sun 10th Dec 2017 Keith James, The Songs of Nick DrakeStrings Bar and Venue (Newport [Isle of Wight])Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Dec 2017 The OrbSoup Kitchen (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Jan 2018 Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly.Village Underground (Shoreditch)Buy Tickets
- Mon 12th Feb 2018 Vonda ShepardOran Mor (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Mon 16th Apr 2018 to Tue 5th Jun 2018 Gary Barlow, KT TunstallBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th Apr 2018 BuzzcocksTramshed (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Sat 28th Apr 2018 Scotland Calling, Buzzcocks, Cockney Rejects, Angelic Upstar...O2 ABC (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Keith JamesThe Manor House (Stockton-on-Tees)Buy Tickets