Suzanne Vega announces 2012 UK summer dates - tickets available now
It's been more than 25 years since Suzanne Vega briefly monopolised cool with the folky, savvy pop of Marlene on the Wall, Left of Center and Luka.
Each was a vignette, chronicling some observed drama or minutiae, all delivered with Vega's distinctively intimate vocal and with a New Yorker's savoir faire. Her songs, and the albums that spawned them, were particularly successful in the UK with eight of her first nine singles charting here. Meanwhile, just two of the releases from her first two albums made the US countdown, although that did include a No 3 for Luka.
Written about a small boy she'd observed in her apartment block and extrapolated into a tale of child abuse, Luka was typical of Vega's at times challenging take on songwriting. Her biggest hit in the UK was to be a remix of the 1987 single Tom's Diner, taking from the singer's third record Solitude Standing. Originally an 'a cappella' track that helped earn Vega a sobriquet as the 'Queen of the MP3' after it was used in early experiments in compressing audio data, DNA added some beats and Tom's Diner made No 2 in 1990.
In 2010, Suzanne Vega began releasing the Close-Up trilogy of albums, featuring re-workings of much of her back catalogue under the three headings Love Songs, People & Places and States of Being, the latter released last summer. Always re-inventing, innovating and re-thinking, Suzanne Vega remains one of pop's finest songwriters and performers and she's taking to the road in late May.
The dates begin with two shows at the Minack Theatre in Penzance on 25th and 26th May, followed by gigs in London (at Islington's Union Chapel), Brighton, Gateshead and York, before the final date announced so far in Basingstoke on Thursday 26th June 2012.
We have tickets for all these dates available now, priced from £20 for Penzance (second night only, first sold out), rising to £29.50 for the Union Chapel gig.
You may be interested in
- Wed 20th Dec 2017 StarsailorLiVe (Preston)More Info..
- Sat 23rd Dec 2017 and Fri 2nd Feb 2018 James WalshBuy Tickets
- Thu 18th Jan 2018 Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly.Village Underground (Shoreditch)Buy Tickets
- Thu 1st Feb 2018 to Sun 4th Feb 2018 The Wedding Present: Tommy 30thBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Feb 2018 and Sat 17th Feb 2018 Nitin SawhneyBuy Tickets
- Mon 12th Feb 2018 and Sun 18th Feb 2018 Vonda ShepardBuy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Mar 2018 Turbonegro: Rocknroll MachineKOKO (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Mar 2018 Tom McRaeHoly Trinity Church (Guildford)Buy Tickets
- Thu 8th Mar 2018 to Sat 31st Mar 2018 Turin Brakes: Invisible StormBuy Tickets
- Tue 10th Apr 2018 to Mon 23rd Apr 2018 Nerina PallotBuy Tickets
- Wed 11th Apr 2018 to Fri 13th Apr 2018 The MekonsBuy Tickets
- Mon 16th Apr 2018 to Tue 5th Jun 2018 Gary Barlow, KT TunstallBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th Apr 2018 to Sun 6th May 2018 BuzzcocksBuy Tickets
- Sat 28th Apr 2018 Scotland Calling, Buzzcocks, Cockney Rejects, Angelic Upstar...O2 ABC (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Wed 2nd May 2018 to Sun 20th May 2018 The BluetonesBuy Tickets
- Thu 3rd May 2018 and Fri 1st Jun 2018 Rory McLeodBuy Tickets
- Wed 23rd May 2018 to Fri 1st Jun 2018 Echo and the Bunnymen: The Stars, The Ocean and The MoonBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Sun 27th May 2018 The Beat, Buzzcocks, The Selecter, Stiff Little FingersBuy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Keith JamesThe Manor House (Stockton-on-Tees)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Neighbourhood Festival, The Courteeners, Jake Bugg, Kodaline...Victoria Park (Warrington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Jul 2018 Sounds of the City, Paul Heaton, Jacqui Abbott, Elvis Costel...Castlefield Bowl (Castlefield)Buy Tickets
- Sat 4th Aug 2018 to Sun 9th Sep 2018 Simple Minds, The Pretenders, KT Tunstall: Grandslam TourBuy Tickets
- Sat 11th Aug 2018 Simple Minds, KT Tunstall: Grandslam TourMillennium Square (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Thu 20th Sep 2018 to Sat 6th Oct 2018 They Might Be GiantsBuy Tickets