Suzanne Vega announces 2012 UK summer dates - tickets available now
It's been more than 25 years since Suzanne Vega briefly monopolised cool with the folky, savvy pop of Marlene on the Wall, Left of Center and Luka.
Each was a vignette, chronicling some observed drama or minutiae, all delivered with Vega's distinctively intimate vocal and with a New Yorker's savoir faire. Her songs, and the albums that spawned them, were particularly successful in the UK with eight of her first nine singles charting here. Meanwhile, just two of the releases from her first two albums made the US countdown, although that did include a No 3 for Luka.
Written about a small boy she'd observed in her apartment block and extrapolated into a tale of child abuse, Luka was typical of Vega's at times challenging take on songwriting. Her biggest hit in the UK was to be a remix of the 1987 single Tom's Diner, taking from the singer's third record Solitude Standing. Originally an 'a cappella' track that helped earn Vega a sobriquet as the 'Queen of the MP3' after it was used in early experiments in compressing audio data, DNA added some beats and Tom's Diner made No 2 in 1990.
In 2010, Suzanne Vega began releasing the Close-Up trilogy of albums, featuring re-workings of much of her back catalogue under the three headings Love Songs, People & Places and States of Being, the latter released last summer. Always re-inventing, innovating and re-thinking, Suzanne Vega remains one of pop's finest songwriters and performers and she's taking to the road in late May.
The dates begin with two shows at the Minack Theatre in Penzance on 25th and 26th May, followed by gigs in London (at Islington's Union Chapel), Brighton, Gateshead and York, before the final date announced so far in Basingstoke on Thursday 26th June 2012.
We have tickets for all these dates available now, priced from £20 for Penzance (second night only, first sold out), rising to £29.50 for the Union Chapel gig.
You may be interested in
- Fri 27th Jan 2017 Dropkick MurphysO2 Academy (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 27th Jan 2017 The OrbThe Limelight 1/2 (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Sun 12th Feb 2017 and Wed 22nd Mar 2017 Keith JamesBuy Tickets
- Sun 12th Feb 2017 to Sun 12th Mar 2017 Mark EitzelBuy Tickets
- Tue 14th Feb 2017 to Tue 21st Feb 2017 Chuck ProphetBuy Tickets
- Wed 22nd Feb 2017 to Sat 17th Jun 2017 The Wedding PresentBuy Tickets
- Fri 10th Mar 2017 Leonard Cohen Night, Keith JamesThe Big Comfy Bookshop Coventry (Coventry)Buy Tickets
- Sat 18th Mar 2017 to Mon 20th Mar 2017 Elvis CostelloBuy Tickets
- Wed 29th Mar 2017 to Fri 31st Mar 2017 Martin Harley, Sam LewisBuy Tickets
- Fri 7th Apr 2017 to Sat 15th Apr 2017 Sam LewisBuy Tickets
- Wed 3rd May 2017 to Thu 11th May 2017 Bob DylanBuy Tickets
- Thu 18th May 2017 to Sun 28th May 2017 KT TunstallBuy Tickets
- Thu 25th May 2017 and Fri 26th May 2017 Pop Will Eat ItselfBuy Tickets
- Sat 27th May 2017 EMF, Jim Bob, Mark Morriss, Pop Will Eat Itself, The Primiti...Academy [1, 2, 3 and Club Academy] (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th May 2017 The Courteeners, The Charlatans, Blossoms, CabbageEmirates Old Trafford (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th May 2017 Jim Bob, The Wedding PresentWaterfront (Norwich)Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Jun 2017 The CharlatansOpen Air Theatre (Scarborough)Buy Tickets
- Tue 20th Jun 2017 to Wed 5th Jul 2017 RadioheadBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Jul 2017 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Kings Of Leon,...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Jul 2017 to Sat 19th Aug 2017 Star Shaped Festival: Star Shaped, The Bluetones, Space, Dodgy, My Life StoryBuy Tickets
- Thu 3rd Aug 2017 to Sat 5th Aug 2017 Belladrum FestivalBuy Tickets
- Fri 11th Aug 2017 to Fri 24th Nov 2017 The UndertonesBuy Tickets