Clannad, Joan Armatrading, June Tabor head up magical Cambridge Folk Festival 2012 - tickets now on sale
One of the longest-running music festivals in Europe continues to attract a large but, on the whole, respectful crowd some 40-plus years after its inception. The world-renowned Cambridge Folk Festival first opened its doors in 1964, to just over 1000 spectators (some of whom may have caught a very early performance from a chap called Paul Simon).
Nowadays, the numbers add up in many respects with ten times that amount attending daily, eager to see folk and roots legends from around the world. The festival's prospects for this year look decidedly fortuitous thanks to the stunning early line-up announcements - input 26th to 29th July into your in-phone calendar right now!
Billy Bragg will perform a homage to Woody Guthrie on Thursday, as part of the US folk raconteur's 100th birthday celebrations, Friday sees award-sweepers June Tabor & The Oyster Band follow-up their BBC Radio 2 Folk Award triumphs, while Saturday arguably demonstrates Cambridge's clout with the return of Irish dream-folksters Clannad and Scottish knees-up twin-set, The Proclaimers. Sunday's concluding role-call includes the legendary songwriter Joan Armatrading plus Loreena McKennitt and Nic Jones.
More names will be confirmed in due course - meanwhile savour the thought of hearing Clannad's wistful Celtic melodrama drift through the summery haze or The Proclaimers bursting into song with resolute Caledonian candour and surely, '(I'm Gonna Be) 500 Miles'. More names are to be announced soon, with plenty of scope for younger upcoming newbies to join the bill.
We have tickets on sale now for Cambridge Folk Festival 2012, with weekend admission for 3.5 days worth of entertainment set at £120 and day tickets priced at £19 for Thursday, £41 for Friday and £52 for each of Saturday and Sunday.
- Thu 1st Aug 2019 Cambridge Folk FestivalCherry Hinton Hall (Cambridge)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Aug 2019 Cambridge Folk FestivalCherry Hinton Hall (Cambridge)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Aug 2019 Cambridge Folk FestivalCherry Hinton Hall (Cambridge)Buy Tickets
- Sun 4th Aug 2019 Cambridge Folk FestivalCherry Hinton Hall (Cambridge)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Sat 9th Mar 2019 Loreena McKennittUsher Hall (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Sun 10th Mar 2019 Loreena McKennittBirmingham Town Hall (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Mon 11th Mar 2019 Loreena McKennittThe Bridgewater Hall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Wed 13th Mar 2019 Loreena McKennittRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Jul 2019 to Sun 7th Jul 2019 Billy Bragg: One Step Forward, Two Steps BackWedgewood Rooms/ Edge of the Wedge (Southsea)Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Jul 2019 The ProclaimersBught Park (Inverness)Buy Tickets
- Sun 14th Jul 2019 Mouth of the Tyne Festival, The ProclaimersTynemouth Priory and Castle (Tyne and Wear)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Jul 2019 and Sun 21st Jul 2019 The ProclaimersEdinburgh Castle (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Mon 29th Jul 2019 to Wed 31st Jul 2019 Billy Bragg: One Step Forward, Two Steps BackWhelan's (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Sep 2019 The ProclaimersSSE Hydro (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Wed 6th Nov 2019 to Fri 8th Nov 2019 Billy Bragg: One Step Forward, Two Steps BackSaint Luke's Glasgow (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Mon 11th Nov 2019 to Wed 13th Nov 2019 Billy BraggManchester Academy (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Nov 2019 to Mon 18th Nov 2019 Billy Bragg: One Step Forward, Two Steps BackLeadmill (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Thu 21st Nov 2019 to Sat 23rd Nov 2019 Billy Bragg: One Step Forward, Two Steps BackIslington Assembly Hall [Town Hall] (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Tue 26th Nov 2019 to Thu 28th Nov 2019 Billy Bragg: One Step Forward, Two Steps BackThe Cambridge Junction (Cambridge)Buy Tickets
- Sun 1st Dec 2019 to Tue 3rd Dec 2019 Billy Bragg: One Step Forward, Two Steps BackO2 Institute (Birmingham)Buy Tickets