Clannad, Joan Armatrading, June Tabor head up magical Cambridge Folk Festival 2012 - tickets now on sale
One of the longest-running music festivals in Europe continues to attract a large but, on the whole, respectful crowd some 40-plus years after its inception. The world-renowned Cambridge Folk Festival first opened its doors in 1964, to just over 1000 spectators (some of whom may have caught a very early performance from a chap called Paul Simon).
Nowadays, the numbers add up in many respects with ten times that amount attending daily, eager to see folk and roots legends from around the world. The festival's prospects for this year look decidedly fortuitous thanks to the stunning early line-up announcements - input 26th to 29th July into your in-phone calendar right now!
Billy Bragg will perform a homage to Woody Guthrie on Thursday, as part of the US folk raconteur's 100th birthday celebrations, Friday sees award-sweepers June Tabor & The Oyster Band follow-up their BBC Radio 2 Folk Award triumphs, while Saturday arguably demonstrates Cambridge's clout with the return of Irish dream-folksters Clannad and Scottish knees-up twin-set, The Proclaimers. Sunday's concluding role-call includes the legendary songwriter Joan Armatrading plus Loreena McKennitt and Nic Jones.
More names will be confirmed in due course - meanwhile savour the thought of hearing Clannad's wistful Celtic melodrama drift through the summery haze or The Proclaimers bursting into song with resolute Caledonian candour and surely, '(I'm Gonna Be) 500 Miles'. More names are to be announced soon, with plenty of scope for younger upcoming newbies to join the bill.
We have tickets on sale now for Cambridge Folk Festival 2012, with weekend admission for 3.5 days worth of entertainment set at £120 and day tickets priced at £19 for Thursday, £41 for Friday and £52 for each of Saturday and Sunday.
You may be interested in
- Thu 15th Nov 2018 The ProclaimersAlhambra Theatre (Dunfermline)Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 and Sat 17th Nov 2018 The ProclaimersO2 Academy Glasgow (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 The ProclaimersPerth Concert Hall (Perth)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 The ProclaimersInverness Leisure - Inverness Aquadome (Inverness)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 The ProclaimersAECC BHGE Arena (Aberdeen)Buy Tickets
- Thu 29th Nov 2018 The ProclaimersRegent Theatre (Ipswich)Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 The ProclaimersThe Anvil/ The Forge (Basingstoke)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 The ProclaimersThe White Rock Theatre/ Sussex Hall (Hastings)Buy Tickets
- Fri 7th Dec 2018 The ProclaimersUlster Hall (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Dec 2018 The ProclaimersVicar Street (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Thu 13th Dec 2018 The ProclaimersMotherwell Concert Hall (Motherwell)Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Dec 2018 The ProclaimersAlbert Halls (Stirling)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 The ProclaimersCaird Hall/ Marryat Hall (Dundee)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Mar 2019 Loreena McKennittUsher Hall (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Sun 10th Mar 2019 Loreena McKennittBirmingham Town Hall (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Mon 11th Mar 2019 Loreena McKennittThe Bridgewater Hall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Wed 13th Mar 2019 Loreena McKennittRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets