Reverend and the Makers follow spring shows with October 2012 tour - tickets on sale now
When Jon McClure ('The Reverend') and his band of Makers emerged into a post-Arctic Monkeys Sheffield, blinking at the spotlights now blazing down on the city, it seemed as if their brand of electro-fuelled indie pointed the way forward.
Certainly Reverend and the Makers' debut album, 2007's 'The State of Things', was a good start and it got all the usual indie flag-wavers very hot under the grandad shirt. The stand-out single, and still the band's biggest hit, was the epic 'Heavyweight Champion of the World'. After hearing Heavyweight, with its energy and a compelling narrative delivered by McClure, XFM daren't stand up for a month.
The single topped the indie charts, as did follow-ups 'He Said He Loved Me', 'Open Your Window' and 'Silence is Talking', and McClure found more fame as a leading blade of the Sheffield music scene, forming 'supergroup' Mongrel and guesting on XFM. With the second record, 2009's 'A French Kiss in the Chaos', McClure led his flock into more politicised territory. He urged Steel City counterparts Arctic Monkeys to stop writing about 'girls at bus-stops' and focus on the bigger issues facing society today.
Jon McClure also found notoriety with some choice soundbites on, among other things, the sad demise of reality TV patsy Jade Goody (mostly taken out of context, it should be pointed out).
Into 2012, and Reverend and the Makers report that a third album is in the process of being completed and, with UK dates already scheduled for May, an October headline tour has also been announced.
The May dates begin in Glasgow on 4th May, then Leeds (Live at Leeds 2012), Manchester and London (Scala) followed by a hometown gig at the Leadmill in Sheffield on 11th May 2012 (tickets now, priced £10, £20 for the Leeds gig).
The autumn tour begins in Newcastle on 11th October, taking in Liverpool, Edinburgh, Birmingham and many more, before the final show at the Shepherds Bush Empire on Friday 26th October 2012.
We have tickets for the autumn gigs available now, priced £15 for London and £12.50 for all other dates.
- Thu 22nd Mar 2018 Reverend and the MakersBush Hall (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Mar 2018 Reverend and the MakersUpper Chapel (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Thu 24th May 2018 Bearded Theory Festival, Reverend and the Makers, The Whip, ...Catton Hall Park (Derbyshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Neighbourhood Festival, The Courteeners, Jake Bugg, Kodaline...Victoria Park (Warrington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 29th Jun 2018 Sounds of the City, Shed Seven, Reverend and the Makers, The...Castlefield Bowl (Castlefield)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Sat 5th May 2018 Live at Leeds, Circa Waves, Peace, British Sea Power, The Ho...Various Leeds Venues (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sun 1st Jul 2018 TRNSMT, Arctic Monkeys, Interpol, Blossoms, Nothing But Thie...Glasgow Green (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Thu 12th Jul 2018 NOS Alive, Arctic Monkeys, Nine Inch NailsPasseio Marítimo de Algés (Lisbon)Buy Tickets