Alanis Morissette returns to the UK with June 2012 dates - tickets on sale Fri 10th Feb
Posted: 7th February 2012
The mid-nineties weren't only about Britpop and football. After two earlier outings as something of a pop singer, in 1995 Alanis Morissette's album of grungy, angsty rock swept all before it.
The year's musical legacy may lay in 'The Bends', 'The Great Escape' or 'Different Class' but in the US, and around the world, Alanis's defiant girl power message was helping to sell 33 million copies of 'Jagged Little Pill'. The record and the singles it spawned, including 'You Oughta Know', 'Ironic' and 'Hand In My Pocket', helped the Canadian to five Grammy awards in the nineties. In 1996, Jagged Little Pill picked up the Grammy for Best Album of the Year. Aged just 21, Morissette was, at that time, the youngest ever recipient.
The offices of MCA Records, with whom Morissette had split three years earlier, heaved a collective 'bloody hell' as Jagged Little Pill became the biggest selling album by a female artist ever, outstripping Celine Dion and eventually only bettered by Shania Twain's 'Come On Over' (all Canadian women, it's worth noting).
Alanis Morissette has released four records since 'JLP' although, unsurprisingly, none have reached its heights - not that she has anything to prove after such an incredibly successful album. Her most recent record, 2008's 'Flavors of Entanglement' may have sold a fraction of the 60 million in global sales she has amassed, but it still made the US Top Ten and showed that Alanis Morissette still has an audience.
Her UK fans will get the chance to catch up with Alanis Morissette when she plays three June dates, beginning in Birmingham on 25th, then Manchester and finally, on 27th June, the Brixton Academy.
We'll have tickets available for all dates when they go on sale at 9am on Friday 10th February, priced from £29.50 (£37.50 for London).
Tickets WILL sell out, and quickly. Imagine waiting all this time to see her and then missing the on-sale time and not getting a ticket? Now that really would be ironic.
- Mon 28th Sep 2020 Alanis Morissette : 25 years of Jagged Little Pill The O2 Arena (Greenwich) Buy Tickets
- Sun 4th Oct 2020 Alanis Morissette : 25 years of Jagged Little Pill Manchester Arena (Manchester) Buy Tickets
- Mon 18th Oct 2021 Alanis Morissette : 25 years of Jagged Little Pill Utilita Arena Birmingham (Birmingham) Buy Tickets
- Wed 20th Oct 2021 Alanis Morissette The O2 Arena (Greenwich) Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Oct 2021 Alanis Morissette Manchester Arena (Manchester) Buy Tickets
- Mon 25th Oct 2021 Alanis Morissette, Liz Phair : 25 years of Jagged Little Pill 3arena (Dublin) Buy Tickets