Plainsong celebrate 40th anniversary of Amelia Earhart with farewell 2012 UK Shows - tickets on sale now
The name Plainsong may not be familiar with many fans of nu-folk acts around at the moment, but drop the name Fairport Convention in certain circles and the penny drops. Formed in the early '70s by Fairports' and Matthews Southern Comfort frontman Ian (later to be Iain) Matthews and multi-skilled Andy Roberts, Plainsong were unofficially touted as a serious contender for being the British Flying Burrito Brothers or Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young (i.e. a roots-music supergroup).
Being British, the collective forged ahead with folk in their veins, rather than out-and-out country (although there were elements of both styles throughout), releasing the iconic debut album 'In Search of Amelia Earhart' in 1972. Critically acclaimed at the time and viewed as Matthews' finest work during the '70s, 'Amelia....' had, like all credible prog, folk or rock albums in those days, a story behind it. For his source of inspiration, Ian Matthews cited a book about the American aviator of the same name, written by Fred Goerner and although the album isn't a biographical account of Ms Earhart's all-too-short life, her mysterious disappearance prior to World War 2 was enough to inspire the folk musician.
With the onset of getting older and the impossible logistics of gathering the band members together, Plainsong have announced a farewell tour of the UK and projected a few festival appearances as perfect excuses to wheel out the album one more time. They'll also be releasing a final live album entitled 'Fat Lady Singing', as well as visiting other parts of Europe during late summer. The UK dates include a slot at this year's Shrewsbury Folk Festival (24th to 27th Aug), plus three headlining shows in September, starting with Birmingham, then Gateshead and finally London. Tickets for all three shows are available for £18.50 and £19.50.
In addition to Plainsong activity, other artists associated with Fairport Convention and Matthews himself are also busy with upcoming shows, including Clive Gregson (in Leicester on 25th May) and Fairport Convention themselves (touring throughout the year, plus appearing at Fifestock 2012 and, no doubt, Cropredy).
You may be interested in
- Sun 12th Aug 2018 Matthews' Southern ComfortThe Brunswick (Hove)Buy Tickets
- Wed 17th Oct 2018 Fairport ConventionNells Jazz and Blues (Kensington and Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Oct 2018 Matthews' Southern ComfortKirton in Lindsey - Town Hall (Lincolnshire)Buy Tickets
- Tue 30th Oct 2018 Matthews' Southern ComfortRobin (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 Clive GregsonUkrainian Centre (Doncaster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Feb 2019 Fairport ConventionBath Forum (Bath)Buy Tickets
- Sun 24th Feb 2019 Fairport ConventionTrade and Labour Club (Banbury)Buy Tickets
- Fri 10th May 2019 Fairport ConventionLowdham Village Hall (Lowdham)Buy Tickets