Doug Stanhope and the Case of the Ever-Growing Tour - more 2012 UK dates announced
Posted: 20th January 2012
Doug Stanhope's website talks about the American stand-up's struggle to fill a large auditorium for a (rare) benefit gig he was putting on for the Humane Society. It paints the picture of a comic whose material divides audiences with its dark, cynical themes and Stanhope's cutting, acerbic wit.
Any concerns he may have for filling large venues in Arizona seem irrelevant this side of the Atlantic. His 2012 UK tour just keeps growing and growing. And selling out, and then growing some more. It's pointless trying to list all of the venues as more will have been added before reaching the end of the paragraph.
A seemingly fearless libertarian with a foul mouth, Stanhope's edgy routines perhaps connect more readily with the European scene than anywhere else. Not that he always gets away with it. At the Kilkenny comedy festival in 2006, all of Stanhope's appearances were cancelled after just 10 minutes of his first routine when he asserted that Irish men have sex with children because 'the women are so ugly'. At the Leeds Festival in 2009, he was booed and bombarded with bottles after making comments about the English and the Royal family. He kept going, baiting the audience further.
At home, he's waged high profile campaigns in support of abortion - specifically for Bristol Palin, the then-pregnant daughter of Presidential candidate Sarah Palin who reportedly forbade her daughter from having a termination. He's also successfully baited potential sex offenders online, posing as a child before exposing the individual. He's spiky. He's funny. He's Doug Stanhope, and they don't make them like him anymore.
The UK tour begins in London on 1st March with five nights at the Leicester Square Theatre, before shows in Bolton, Newcastle, York, Bradford, Glasgow, Liverpool and loads more, with the final gig announced so far at the Hammersmith Apollo on 21st April. Recent additions include dates in Tunbridge Wells, Torquay, Portsmouth and Cambridge.
We have tickets available now, priced around £20.
- Fri 16th Oct 2020 Doug Stanhope Eventim Apollo (Hammersmith) Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Apr 2021 Doug Stanhope Olympia Theatre (Dublin) Buy Tickets
- Sun 25th Apr 2021 Doug Stanhope O2 Forum (Kentish Town) Buy Tickets
- Mon 26th Apr 2021 Doug Stanhope O2 Guildhall (Southampton) Buy Tickets
- Wed 28th Apr 2021 Doug Stanhope O2 Academy Glasgow (Glasgow) Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Apr 2021 Doug Stanhope O2 Academy Birmingham (Birmingham) Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st May 2021 Doug Stanhope O2 Academy Sheffield (Sheffield) Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd May 2021 Doug Stanhope O2 City Hall (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) Buy Tickets
- Tue 4th May 2021 Doug Stanhope St David's Hall (Cardiff) Buy Tickets
- Fri 7th May 2021 Doug Stanhope O2 Apollo (Manchester) Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th May 2021 Doug Stanhope O2 Academy Leeds (Leeds) Buy Tickets