Andrew W.K. preparing to Get Wet with 2012 UK dates - tickets Friday 20th Jan
It has been around a decade since 'I Get Wet', the debut studio release from Andrew Wilkes Krier, aka Andrew W.K., caused a stir with its memorable and thought-provoking cover art.
The 2001 12-track release may have topped the US Billboard Heatseekers Chart (for new/emerging artists) and spawned a number of memorable hit singles, but it is for the close-up cover image of Andrew W.K. with a bloodied nose, the red stuff streaming down his face and neck after a blow to the face, that the record is most widely known.
Rock being rock, it was quickly pointed out that the singer had self-inflicted this injury in the studio, with a brick no less. W.K. later revised the tale to confirm that the brick blow had not produced enough claret, so he'd supplemented the flow with animal blood from a nearby butchers. Strangely, a bit more rock'n'roll than the original ole brick-smash story. In any case, the result was very effective (as you can see).
Andrew W.K. is marking the 10th anniversary of the album's release with a tour during which the musician and his band will perform 'I Get Wet' in its entirety, which will include the hit singles 'Party Hard' and 'She Is Beautiful'.
The short UK tour kicks off at London's Electric Ballroom on 12th April, followed by Manchester's Club Academy the next night and finally the Glasgow Garage on 14th April. [note: both the London and Manchester dates have now been upgraded due to demand. The London gig is now at the HMV Forum, with Manchester's taking place in the same building but at the Academy, rather than Club Academy - Ed]
We'll have tickets for the UK shows when they go on sale at 9am on Friday 20th January, priced £17.50 for London and £15 for Manchester and Glasgow.
The Scottish gig is the last night of the 'I Get Wet' anniversary tour so, if he hasn't already done so (every night), you can expect W.K. to end the tour with a self-administered Glasgow Kiss to recreate the cover. The least you can do is go to the gig gored up.
You may be interested in
- Fri 17th Aug 2018 and Sat 18th Aug 2018 Amanda PalmerBuy Tickets
- Sat 18th Aug 2018 GlassjawO2 Academy Brixton (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 and Wed 31st Oct 2018 SkindredBuy Tickets
- Sat 25th Aug 2018 Reading Festival, Kendrick Lamar, Panic! At The Disco, Dua L...Little John's Farm (Reading)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th Aug 2018 Leeds Festival, Kendrick Lamar, Panic! At The Disco, Dua Lip...Bramham Park (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Tue 4th Sep 2018 to Tue 11th Sep 2018 IncubusBuy Tickets
- Fri 7th Sep 2018 to Sun 9th Sep 2018 Pub in the Park, Tom Odell, Sophie Ellis-Bextor, Nick CorbinBuy Tickets
- Sat 6th Oct 2018 Raging SpeedhornElectric Ballroom (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 12th Oct 2018 to Fri 26th Oct 2018 Tom OdellBuy Tickets
- Tue 16th Oct 2018 Dir En Grey: Wearing Human SkinElectric Ballroom (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sun 4th Nov 2018 to Wed 7th Nov 2018 GodsmackBuy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 Holding AbsenceJac's (Glamorgan)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 Winter Rocks: Skindred, Stone Broken, Wayward SonsThe Corporation (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Dec 2018 to Wed 5th Dec 2018 A Perfect CircleBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Dec 2018 ClawfingerO2 Academy Islington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Wed 12th Jun 2019 and Thu 13th Jun 2019 Elton John: Farewell TourBuy Tickets