The Awkward Squad, a new comedy from BAFTA winner Karin Young, debuts with 2012 UK tour - tickets now
The lot of the modern woman is, we are told, as challenging as ever. While it is true that opportunities have never been more equal (with some way still to go), the corollary is increased expectations, with the need to be an all-singing, all-dancing, multi-tasking 21st century female becoming something of a tyranny. Although, not being female, I've probably got this all wrong.
In any case, someone who knows plenty about being successful is the BAFTA-winning writer Karin Young. Picking up her gong for some of Emmerdale's more electrifying storylines, Young has now turned her pen to the plight of the modern woman and whether her protagonist, Lorna, should go with the flow or become one of The Awkward Squad.
Lorna's plate is full, having spent three decades working to support others and their causes, and finding herself something of a local hero in the process, but now, more than anything, she wants to do some things for herself. Her granddaughter, however, has other ideas.
The Awkward Squad stars Barbara Marten as Lorna, familiar to television audiences from roles in Casualty, Coronation Street and the recent BBC drama Public Enemies. Marten is joined by Charlie Hardwick (winner of the 1998 Best Actress award at the Monte Carlo International Television Festival), Libby Davison (The Bill, Hollyoaks) and Lisa McGrillis, who has theatre credits including Much Ado About Nothing and The Globe Mysteries at Shakespeare's Globe.
The Awkward Squad premieres at The Customs House in South Shields from 18th February to 3rd March before the London run kicks off at the Arts Theatre on 6th March. The West End production runs until 7th April, with a press night on 8th March. After London, the tour continues at the Theatre Royal in York from 10th to 13th April.
We have tickets available now for the West End run, priced from £15 for Circle Slips (benches), rising to £29.50 for the best stalls seats.
You may be interested in
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Sat 3rd Mar 2018 Again [play]Buy Tickets
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Fri 27th Apr 2018 The Book of MormonBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 to Fri 25th May 2018 The Comedy About a Bank RobberyBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 to Sat 24th Feb 2018 Booby's BayBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 to Sat 21st Jul 2018 The Play That Goes WrongBuy Tickets
- Tue 6th Mar 2018 Up 'n UnderThe Lowry (Salford)Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Mar 2018 Steptoe and SonDarwen Library Theatre (Blackburn)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Mar 2018 and Sat 23rd Jun 2018 Mortified LiveBuy Tickets
- Mon 26th Mar 2018 to Sat 14th Apr 2018 Quartet [play]Buy Tickets
- Sat 31st Mar 2018 to Fri 15th Jun 2018 QuizBuy Tickets
- Mon 16th Apr 2018 to Thu 21st Jun 2018 My Dad Wrote a Porno - LiveBuy Tickets
- Fri 20th Apr 2018 to Fri 13th Jul 2018 An Ideal HusbandBuy Tickets
- Sun 6th May 2018 to Sun 20th May 2018 One Woman Sex and The CityBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Sat 21st Jul 2018 TartuffeBuy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged)Whitley Bay Playhouse (Whitley Bay)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Jun 2018 to Sat 23rd Jun 2018 Lord Arthur Savile's CrimeBuy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Jun 2018 to Sat 21st Jul 2018 The Lieutenant of Inishmore, Michael Grandage CompanyBuy Tickets