The gloves are on - Jason Byrne becomes the People's Puppeteer for his 2012 UK tour
Judging by the list of acknowledgements on his website, Jason Byrne's last UK tour was played out to an, er, eclectic audience. He name-checks the whole of Britain, pausing to single out Orla in Dunfermline, Bury where he was called 'Jedward's dad', philandering Bristolian submarine engineers and dangerous chippies and dogs in Dudley. Add in the requisite cock-eyed members of the paying hoards in Norwich, Middlesbrough and beyond and you can see just how far Jason Byrne has come since discussing his visually-challenged myopic disparity on TV just a couple of years back. He's clearly had an effect on a variety of punters - and they've no doubt affected him in some way. It's all in a comedian's work.
As well as charming all and sundry with sharp and energetic stand-up routines, Byrne has been dabbling with the odd bit of acting, where variety has been the proverbial star-anise of life. He's played a football hooligan, a referee, a gardener and most recently a hotelier in the 2011 final Pete Postlethwaite movie, "Killing Bono". All of which has probably contributed to his various stand-up shows - which leads me on very nicely to the next plan Byrne.
Anyone else with an impending 40th birthday looming on the horizon like a darkening cloud, would already be planning which retirement home they ought to start saving up for - not Jason Byrne. Instead, he's heading out on tour, billed as "The People's Puppeteer". Is this a show which turns the tables and allows the audience to control what Byrne does and says? You'll have to go and find out. It's brand new and it's bound to be funny, job done.
First stop in the autumn, after the Edinburgh Festival Fringe of course (1st to 12th Aug at the EICC), is Aberdeen on 6th Sep, followed by Dunfermline, Glasgow, Leicester and many many more until closing out the jaunt in Hammersmith on 23rd November.
We have tickets available now, priced at £17.50 or £18.50 for most, and just £10 for the first two Edinburgh dates, then £17.50 - £19.50 for the remaining Fringe dates.
- Wed 24th Jul 2019 Jason ByrneThe Abbey Tavern Howth (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Wed 18th Sep 2019 Jason ByrneArc (Stockton-on-Tees)Buy Tickets
- Thu 19th Sep 2019 Jason ByrneGala Theatre (Durham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 20th Sep 2019 Jason ByrneQueens Hall Arts Centre (Hexham)Buy Tickets
- Thu 26th Sep 2019 Jason ByrneThe Lawrence Batley Theatre (Huddersfield)Buy Tickets
- Fri 27th Sep 2019 Jason ByrneTramway (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 28th Sep 2019 Jason ByrneAlhambra Theatre (Dunfermline)Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th Oct 2019 Jason ByrneBeck Theatre (Hayes)Buy Tickets
- Sat 5th Oct 2019 Jason ByrneThe Southport Theatre and Convention Centre (Southport)Buy Tickets
- Thu 10th Oct 2019 Jason ByrneLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 11th Oct 2019 Jason ByrneLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 12th Oct 2019 Jason ByrneLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Thu 17th Oct 2019 Jason ByrnePavilion Theatre (Exmouth)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Oct 2019 Jason ByrneTropicana (Weston-super-Mare)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th Oct 2019 Jason ByrneThe Cambridge Junction (Cambridge)Buy Tickets
- Wed 23rd Oct 2019 Jason ByrneNorthern Stage (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Thu 24th Oct 2019 Jason ByrneBrewery Arts Centre (Kendal)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th Oct 2019 Jason ByrneWilliam Aston Hall - Glyndwr University [NEWI] (Wrexham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th Oct 2019 Jason ByrneThe Lowry (Salford)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Nov 2019 Jason ByrneThe Core Theatre at the Corby Cube (Corby)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Nov 2019 Jason ByrneUlster Hall (Belfast)More Info..
- Thu 7th Nov 2019 Jason ByrneEpstein Theatre (formerly Neptune) (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Fri 8th Nov 2019 Jason ByrneDrill Hall (Lincoln)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Nov 2019 Jason ByrneBirmingham Town Hall (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Thu 14th Nov 2019 Jason ByrneThe Old Market (Hove)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Nov 2019 Jason ByrneColchester Arts Centre (Colchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Nov 2019 Jason ByrneHazlitt Theatre (Maidstone)Buy Tickets
- Thu 21st Nov 2019 Jason ByrneThe Stables - Wavendon (Milton Keynes)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Wed 5th Jun 2019 Edinburgh Festival FringeThe Finsbury (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Aug 2019 to Tue 6th Aug 2019 In Conversation: Akala, Edinburgh Festival Fringe - Natives: Race and Class in the Ruins of EmpireGilded Balloon (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Tue 6th Aug 2019 to Sat 10th Aug 2019 An Evening with: David Rudolf, Edinburgh Festival Fringe - The StaircaseNew Town Theatre (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Sat 10th Aug 2019 to Sun 25th Aug 2019 Baby Loves Disco, Edinburgh Festival FringeThe Jam House (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Sun 11th Aug 2019 to Thu 15th Aug 2019 Making a Murderer Part 2, Edinburgh Festival FringeNew Town Theatre (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Thu 15th Aug 2019 and Fri 16th Aug 2019 Steve Lamacq, Edinburgh Festival FringeGilded Balloon (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets