Peter Hook and the Light shine brightly with more Joy Division shows for 2012
Posted: 14th December 2011
With the recent reformation of former band-mates New Order and the continued activity of ex-bassist Peter Hook's current project The Light and their revisit of all things Joy Division, it's been quite a year for fans of the two iconic bands. Even if the two parties are more likely to make a range of curtains than make peace, it's the music that counts and judging by the reactions to New Order's recent London show and Hooky's respectful homage to old mucker, Ian Curtis, both might actually be better apart, for now at least.
While Bernard Sumner's charges contemplate their next move, Hook has announced his intentions to squeeze at least one more full tour into his schedule next year. In the past 18 months or so, he and The Light have been unleashing complete recitals of Joy Division's only two studio albums, "Unknown Pleasures" and "Closer". Hook's remit is simple - he wants to share the great music he and his mates made some 30 years ago.
Cited as key influences by a whole chain of bands and musicians in the last three decades, the Martin Hannett-produced collections are by turns haunting, austere and dark, yet eerily beautiful at the same time. Hook has lifted the gloom slightly by installing powerful soul-singer Rowetta as primary vocalist, as heard on the recently re-released (on CD) "1102/2011" EP. It's still unmistakable Joy Division, but with a tad more 'joy'.
2012 will see the band bring these one of the two albums to various cities during late spring, starting with a string of Unknown Pleasures shows in Liverpool, Glasgow, Nottingham, Sheffield, Birmingham and Oxford and a Closer show at the Islington Academy. Tickets for these shows go on sale this Friday - (9am for Nottingham and Sheffield, midday for the others), priced at £20 upwards.
You can also catch Peter Hook and the Light in Buxton on 25th February - this show will feature both albums and costs £18.
- Mon 25th Jan 2021 Peter Hook and the Light : Joy Division: A Celebration O2 Academy Brixton (Brixton) Buy Tickets
- Tue 26th Jan 2021 Peter Hook and the Light : Joy Division: A Celebration Sheffield University Students Union/ Octagon/ Foundry (Sheffield) Buy Tickets
- Thu 28th Jan 2021 Peter Hook and the Light : Joy Division: A Celebration Barrowland Ballroom (Glasgow) Buy Tickets
- Sat 30th Jan 2021 Peter Hook and the Light : Joy Division: A Celebration O2 Apollo (Manchester) Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Jul 2021 PennFest, The Dualers, Sigma, Razorlight, Rag N Bone Man, Peter Hook and the Light, Johnny Marr, Ella Eyre, Dub Pistols, The Brand New Heavies The Big Park [Penn House] (Buckinghamshire) Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Aug 2021 Bingley Weekender, Primal Scream, Embrace, Peter Hook and the Light Bradford & Bingley RFC/ Bradford and Bingley Sports Club (Bradford) Buy Tickets