Azealia Banks, Dry the River, Skrillex and more nominated for BBC Sound of 2012 - check our guide to nominees' upcoming gigs
Posted: 5th December 2011
Last year, a singer called Jessie J walked off with the BBC Sound of 2011 award, one of many cluttering up her shelves at home. This is one she can't win again because a) that wouldn't be fair and b) she hasn't been nominated. So there.
This year, the artists earmarked for a little more attention and a whole lotta love, is as diverse as it's ever been, making the BBC look all cutting-edge and down-with-the-kids. The 15 nominations have either already established themselves to a cultish degree (hello Skrillex), caused a stir with recent TV action (howdy Michael Kiwanuka) or been waiting in the wings for their moment (most of the rest). So having read the line-up, when can we see them live? It just so happens we've thought of that bit already:
Skrillex Probably the most familiar name in the draw is drillstep/ dubstep/ rockstep missionary, Skrillex. He announced his big beefy UK tour earlier this year, having extended the Mothership jaunt into 2012. He's sold out all shows except Glasgow, Manchester and the second Brixton date on the 18th. £!6-£18.50.
Dry the River are in a few 'top tips' lists - they're performing at the Q Now: The Sessions 2012 show at XOYO on 23rd January (£10), as well as appearing at Manchester's Ritz on 8th February as part of HMV's Next Big Thing 2012. They're also back in London in May for a show at the Electric Ballroom - tickets are on sale Wednesday at 9am, priced at £10 also.
Azealia Banks New York rapper Azealia Banks is also part of another 'hotly-tipped' gig-series, this time on the NME Awards Tour 2012 with Two Door Cinema Club and Metronomy during February. All shows are still available for £19.10, except Manchester (11th), Norwich (17th), Bristol (20th) and Bournemouth (22nd) which are sold out (resales may be available). In addition, Banks plays a headline show at London's Heaven on 27th Feb - £10.50.
Michael Kiwanuka Another banker for an award next year is Michael Kiwanuka. Blessed with velvety tonsils, the singer is on a headline tour in February, from Ireland to England then Scotland - tickets are still up for around £10. His Q Now: The Sessions 2012 show with Emeli Sande on 24th January has now sold out, as his earlier Barfly show next Monday.
Ren Harvieu As for the remaining nominations, dubstep producer Flux Pavilion, gravel-voiced roots singer Jamie N Commons, soulful chanteuse Lianne La Havas, Dalston darlings Spector and my tip, Ren Harvieu, all have a varying number of gigs coming up - just scroll down for the listings. The rest of the BBC Sound of 2012 nominees had better hurry up and get their gigs on - you can read about them as soon as we get them, so bookmark this page!
And the winner is...
On 6th January it was announced that Michael Kiwanuka is the winner of BBC Sound of 2012. With a much-anticipated debut-album due out in the spring, an appearance on Later with Jools Holland and a string of live shows between now and the album, the buzz around this young man has been enormous. Tickets to his upcoming shows are still available priced from £7.50 to £10, except for London (XOYO and Islington), Leeds and Manchester which have sold out. In the capital, you can catch him as part of Gilles Peterson's Worldwide Awards at KOKO in Camden on 21st January - tickets are £25.
- Mon 31st Aug 2020 Michael Kiwanuka Barrowland Ballroom (Glasgow) Buy Tickets
- Tue 1st Sep 2020 Michael Kiwanuka O2 Academy Newcastle (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) Buy Tickets
- Thu 3rd Sep 2020 Michael Kiwanuka, Tawiah O2 Apollo (Manchester) Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th Sep 2020 Michael Kiwanuka, Tawiah The Corn Exchange (Cambridge) Buy Tickets
- Sat 5th Sep 2020 Michael Kiwanuka, Tawiah O2 Academy Brixton (Brixton) Buy Tickets
- Sun 6th Sep 2020 Sundown Festival, Sean Paul, Fredo, Wilkinson, Raye, Jay1, The Manor, Solardo, Shy FX, My Nu Leng, Flux Pavilion Norfolk Showground (Norwich) Buy Tickets
- Mon 7th Sep 2020 Michael Kiwanuka, Tawiah De Montfort Hall and Gardens (Leicester) Buy Tickets
- Tue 8th Sep 2020 Michael Kiwanuka O2 Academy Leeds (Leeds) Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Oct 2020 Fickle Friends, Spector, The Covasettes : Underpass Sheffield University Students Union/ Octagon/ Foundry (Sheffield) Buy Tickets
- Fri 13th Nov 2020 Michael Kiwanuka Brighton Centre (Brighton) Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Nov 2020 Michael Kiwanuka Empress Ballroom (Blackpool) Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Nov 2020 Michael Kiwanuka Plymouth Pavilions (Plymouth) Buy Tickets
- Sun 22nd Nov 2020 Michael Kiwanuka Bonus Arena (Hull) Buy Tickets
- Mon 23rd Nov 2020 Ren Harvieu Picture House Social (Sheffield) Buy Tickets
- Tue 24th Nov 2020 Ren Harvieu Clwb Ifor Bach (Cardiff) Buy Tickets
- Wed 25th Nov 2020 Ren Harvieu The Hare and Hounds Birmingham (Kings Heath) Buy Tickets
- Thu 26th Nov 2020 Ren Harvieu The Portland Arms (Cambridge) Buy Tickets
- Fri 27th Nov 2020 Michael Kiwanuka Alexandra Palace (London) Buy Tickets
- Sat 28th Nov 2020 Ren Harvieu The Cookie (Leicester) Buy Tickets
- Mon 30th Nov 2020 Ren Harvieu The Crescent Community Centre (York) Buy Tickets
- Tue 1st Dec 2020 Ren Harvieu Gorilla (Manchester) Buy Tickets
- Wed 2nd Dec 2020 Ren Harvieu The Voodoo Rooms (Edinburgh) Buy Tickets
- Thu 3rd Dec 2020 Ren Harvieu Cluny (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) Buy Tickets
- Tue 8th Dec 2020 Ren Harvieu Moth Club (Hackney) Buy Tickets
- Mon 28th Jun 2021 Michael Kiwanuka Samuel Beckett Theatre - Trinity College (Dublin) Buy Tickets
- Mon 9th Aug 2021 Michael Kiwanuka Princes Street Gardens (Edinburgh) Buy Tickets