Chris de Burgh announces 2013 tour dates - tickets on sale now
If you're in your late twenties to early forties and, today, you go to your mum's house and rifle through her wardrobe, you will find, somewhere at the back, a slightly slutty red dress that she has never worn. Your dad bought it for her in 1986 and it is Chris de Burgh's fault.
'The Lady in Red' was Chris de Burgh's biggest hit, topping the UK charts and reaching No 3 in the US. It is, of course, a love song and de Burgh was inspired to write it by the memory of how his wife looked, and what she was wearing, when they first met. With its husband-and-wife theme, it closed a thousand 30th birthday parties in 1986, even more wedding discos, and many more since.
For de Burgh it was image-changing. It forever cast him as a balladeer when most of his earlier work had been considerably more expansive and eclectic, experimental even. His 1975 album, 'Spanish Train and Other Stories' was a case in point. Title track 'Spanish Train' was deemed blasphemous in some countries due to its themes of religion and the occult, while 'A Spaceman Came Travelling' was a festive fairy tale of sorts that has been a Christmas playlist regular ever since. Elsewhere, the cheeky 'Patricia the Stripper' was the funny tale of 'the best stripper in town'.
'Spanish Train and Other Stories' remains a fans favourite, alongside 1986's 'Into the Light' (helped by 'The Lady in Red') and four subsequent Top Five records out of a back catalogue of nearly 20 albums. His most recent, 'Footsteps 2', was released in October and is a 'sequel' to 2008's 'Footsteps', which reached No 4 in the UK.
Chris de Burgh is, of course, still married to the lady in red, Diane, and will no doubt be airing 'her' song on his 2013 tour, alongside Patricia, Spaceman and all the rest. Get your lighters ready.
After shows across Europe, Chris de Burgh's UK dates kick off at the Royal Albert Hall on 24th April 2013, followed by gigs at the NIA in Birmingham on 26th April and finally at Glasgow's Royal Concert Hall on Sunday 28th April 2013.
We have tickets for all three dates available now, priced from £35 to £60 for the best seats at each venue.
You may be interested in
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 to Thu 21st Jun 2018 The ScriptBuy Tickets
- Sun 25th Feb 2018 to Fri 2nd Mar 2018 Rickie Lee JonesBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Mar 2018 to Wed 14th Mar 2018 Randy Newman: Dark MatterBuy Tickets
- Sun 11th Mar 2018 Nearly Dan, Steely DanJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sun 11th Mar 2018 to Thu 15th Mar 2018 Michael McDonaldBuy Tickets
- Fri 16th Mar 2018 to Sun 20th May 2018 SmokieBuy Tickets
- Sat 17th Mar 2018 to Fri 27th Apr 2018 The HolliesBuy Tickets
- Sat 31st Mar 2018 Dr Feelgood, Climax Blues Band: 50th Anniversary TourNantwich Civic Hall (Cheshire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 1st Apr 2018 to Sun 8th Apr 2018 TotoBuy Tickets
- Fri 20th Apr 2018 to Wed 25th Apr 2018 Colin BlunstoneBuy Tickets
- Sun 22nd Apr 2018 to Sat 26th May 2018 Gilbert O'SullivanBuy Tickets
- Sun 29th Apr 2018 to Tue 12th Jun 2018 Don McLeanBuy Tickets
- Sat 12th May 2018 to Wed 16th May 2018 ForeignerBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Thu 31st May 2018 Bryan Adams: The Ultimate TourBuy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Jun 2018 The Groundhogs, King King, Stacie Collins, Climax Blues BandThe Neon (Newport)Buy Tickets
- Thu 7th Jun 2018 and Thu 14th Jun 2018 Forest Live, The ScriptBuy Tickets
- Thu 14th Jun 2018 Don McLean, Live at the MarqueeMarquee (Cork)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Jun 2018 and Sat 23rd Jun 2018 Billy JoelBuy Tickets
- Sat 16th Jun 2018 Live at Chelsea, James BluntThe Royal Hospital (Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Climax Blues BandMoon on the Water (Cleethorpes)Buy Tickets
- Sun 24th Jun 2018 The Script, BelsonicOrmeau Park (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Mon 25th Jun 2018 and Tue 26th Jun 2018 The Script, Live at the MarqueeBuy Tickets
- Fri 29th Jun 2018 TRNSMT, Stereophonics, The Script, James Bay, Kodaline, Jess...Glasgow Green (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 29th Jun 2018 Newmarket Nights, James BluntNewmarket Racecourse (Newmarket)Buy Tickets
- Sun 8th Jul 2018 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Eric Clapton, ...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Mon 9th Jul 2018 to Thu 12th Jul 2018 James Taylor, Bonnie RaittBuy Tickets
- Tue 10th Jul 2018 to Fri 13th Jul 2018 Paul SimonBuy Tickets
- Sat 14th Jul 2018 to Sun 26th Aug 2018 Leo SayerBuy Tickets
- Sun 15th Jul 2018 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Paul Simon, Ja...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Thu 19th Jul 2018 and Fri 20th Jul 2018 Marc CohnBuy Tickets
- Thu 9th Aug 2018 Summer Nights at the Bandstand, Van MorrisonKelvingrove Park (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 18th Aug 2018 Dr HookChepstow Castle (Monmouthshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 31st Aug 2018 Heritage Live Summer Concerts, Van Morrison, The Waterboys, ...Wrest Park - Silsoe (Bedfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Thu 6th Sep 2018 to Sat 8th Sep 2018 Barry ManilowBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Sep 2018 James BluntBath Racecourse (Bath)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Sep 2018 Albert HammondThe Royal Theatre (Castlebar)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 to Sun 4th Nov 2018 Michael BoltonBuy Tickets
- Wed 12th Jun 2019 and Thu 13th Jun 2019 Elton John: Farewell TourBuy Tickets