Chris de Burgh announces 2013 tour dates - tickets on sale now
If you're in your late twenties to early forties and, today, you go to your mum's house and rifle through her wardrobe, you will find, somewhere at the back, a slightly slutty red dress that she has never worn. Your dad bought it for her in 1986 and it is Chris de Burgh's fault.
'The Lady in Red' was Chris de Burgh's biggest hit, topping the UK charts and reaching No 3 in the US. It is, of course, a love song and de Burgh was inspired to write it by the memory of how his wife looked, and what she was wearing, when they first met. With its husband-and-wife theme, it closed a thousand 30th birthday parties in 1986, even more wedding discos, and many more since.
For de Burgh it was image-changing. It forever cast him as a balladeer when most of his earlier work had been considerably more expansive and eclectic, experimental even. His 1975 album, 'Spanish Train and Other Stories' was a case in point. Title track 'Spanish Train' was deemed blasphemous in some countries due to its themes of religion and the occult, while 'A Spaceman Came Travelling' was a festive fairy tale of sorts that has been a Christmas playlist regular ever since. Elsewhere, the cheeky 'Patricia the Stripper' was the funny tale of 'the best stripper in town'.
'Spanish Train and Other Stories' remains a fans favourite, alongside 1986's 'Into the Light' (helped by 'The Lady in Red') and four subsequent Top Five records out of a back catalogue of nearly 20 albums. His most recent, 'Footsteps 2', was released in October and is a 'sequel' to 2008's 'Footsteps', which reached No 4 in the UK.
Chris de Burgh is, of course, still married to the lady in red, Diane, and will no doubt be airing 'her' song on his 2013 tour, alongside Patricia, Spaceman and all the rest. Get your lighters ready.
After shows across Europe, Chris de Burgh's UK dates kick off at the Royal Albert Hall on 24th April 2013, followed by gigs at the NIA in Birmingham on 26th April and finally at Glasgow's Royal Concert Hall on Sunday 28th April 2013.
We have tickets for all three dates available now, priced from £35 to £60 for the best seats at each venue.
You may be interested in
- Sat 18th Aug 2018 to Fri 22nd Nov 2019 Dr Hook: 50th AnniversaryBuy Tickets
- Sun 26th Aug 2018 to Fri 3rd May 2019 Leo Sayer: Just a Boy at 70Buy Tickets
- Tue 28th Aug 2018 Gilbert O'SullivanLittle Civic/ Slade Rooms (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 30th Aug 2018 to Mon 22nd Oct 2018 Van MorrisonBuy Tickets
- Fri 31st Aug 2018 Heritage Live Summer Concerts, Van Morrison, The Waterboys, ...Wrest Park - Silsoe (Bedfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 to Sat 8th Sep 2018 Barry ManilowBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Sep 2018 James BluntBath Racecourse (Bath)Buy Tickets
- Thu 20th Sep 2018 to Tue 2nd Oct 2018 Albert HammondBuy Tickets
- Wed 26th Sep 2018 Nordoff Robbins Get Loud, Gilbert O'SullivanCottier's (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Mon 8th Oct 2018 Donavon FrankenreiterDingwalls - Lock 17 (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 to Mon 19th Nov 2018 Michael BoltonBuy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 Climax Blues BandThe Raven Hotel (Corby)Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Oct 2018 to Sat 17th Nov 2018 10ccBuy Tickets
- Fri 19th Oct 2018 AmericaLondon Palladium (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sun 21st Oct 2018 and Tue 23rd Oct 2018 Steve ForbertBuy Tickets
- Fri 26th Oct 2018 BluesFest, Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters, ...The O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th Oct 2018 and Sun 28th Oct 2018 Stepback - the 80s Concert, Tony Hadley, ABC, Bonnie Tyler, ...Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Oct 2018 BluesFest: Robert Plant, Van Morrison3arena (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Oct 2018 and Mon 5th Nov 2018 Curtis StigersBuy Tickets
- Sat 10th Nov 2018 Sad CaféThe Cinnamon Club (Altrincham)Buy Tickets
- Wed 5th Dec 2018 Air SupplyVicar Street (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Wed 12th Dec 2018 to Sun 16th Dec 2018 Paul McCartney: Freshen UpBuy Tickets
- Thu 13th Dec 2018 The Pretty Things, David Gilmour, Van Morrison: Final BowIndigo at the O2 (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Dec 2018 '80s Christmas Concert: Stepback - the 80s Concert, Tony Hadley, Bonnie Tyler, ABC, ...Ricoh Arena / Ericsson Arena (Coventry)Buy Tickets
- Thu 14th Feb 2019 to Sat 2nd Mar 2019 SmokieBuy Tickets
- Wed 12th Jun 2019 and Thu 13th Jun 2019 Elton John: Farewell TourBuy Tickets