Casiokids announce 2012 album and UK tour - tickets on sale now
There was a time, really not all that long ago, when an interest in Norwegian synth pop might be cited as a cultural cosh with which to abuse geeks, musos and the pasty-faced.
At some hitherto unforeseen point, as with geekiness and pallor, Scandinavian electronica became cool. Just in time for Casiokids, who release their new album, 'Aabenbaringen Over Aaskammen' on 16th January 2012.
Formed in Bergen and Stavanger (which is twinned with Harlow in Essex, if you're taking notes) in 2005, the four-piece put out an EP in 2007, before releasing their debut full-length record, 'Topp Stemning På Lokal Bar', in 2008. 'Topp Stemning På Lokal Bar' is unconvincingly but enthusiastically translated by the internet into 'Top Mood at Local Bar'. Almost certainly wrong, the translation nonetheless sums up Casiokids well, with their rich, electronic soundscapes immediate scene-setters for any venue.
Casiokids received a welcome, and no doubt earned, shot in the arm in the summer of 2010 when they were one of four recipients of one million kroner (more than £100,000) each for Norwegian artists who pop legends A-ha felt had the most export potential at that time. Casiokids also got to support Morten, Mags and Pål on A-ha's final, farewell tour.
No longer short of studio time, 'Aabenbaringen Over Aaskammen' represents a step up for Casiokids. The new record is their first release recorded fully in a 'proper' studio and at the band's own pace. It promises much. Check out album track 'London Zoo' recorded at a live session in Paris recently, in the video, above.
The headline tour kicks off three days after the record is released, on 19th January in Birmingham, followed by gigs in Manchester (Deaf Institute), Glasgow, Newcastle, London (Cargo), Cambridge, bath and Tunbridge Wells, before the final date in Canterbury on 28th January. That's nine gigs in 10 days, with a lie down on the 23rd.
Tickets are on sale now, costing £7 for all dates except London, which costs £8.
Norwegians, synth pop, Casio, less than a tenner. What's not to like?
You may be interested in
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 to Sat 8th Dec 2018 The Human League: RedBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 to Sat 24th Nov 2018 HONNEBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 to Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Marc Almond...Buy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 to Sat 11th May 2019 BlancmangeBuy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 to Fri 7th Dec 2018 The Human League, Midge Ure: RedBuy Tickets
- Tue 4th Dec 2018 to Sat 16th Feb 2019 BabeheavenBuy Tickets
- Sat 8th Dec 2018 Capital FM Jingle Bell Ball, Ellie Goulding, Halsey, Rita Or...The O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Thu 20th Dec 2018 Streets of London, Ellie Goulding, Dua Lipa, Bastille, Mabel...Wembley SSE Arena (Wembley)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Dec 2018 '80s Christmas Concert: Stepback - the 80s Concert, Tony Hadley, Bonnie Tyler, ABC, ...Ricoh Arena / Ericsson Arena (Coventry)Buy Tickets
- Wed 23rd Jan 2019 Chloe HowlMoth Club (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Thu 24th Jan 2019 ODESZAO2 Academy Brixton (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Mon 28th Jan 2019 to Tue 5th Feb 2019 VNV NationBuy Tickets
- Thu 7th Feb 2019 to Fri 22nd Feb 2019 CHVRCHESBuy Tickets
- Thu 7th Feb 2019 to Thu 23rd May 2019 Kero Kero BonitoBuy Tickets
- Wed 27th Feb 2019 to Sat 9th Mar 2019 Twenty One Pilots: BanditoBuy Tickets
- Thu 28th Feb 2019 to Sat 2nd Mar 2019 HighasaKiteBuy Tickets
- Wed 20th Mar 2019 to Sat 23rd Mar 2019 George Ezra, SigridBuy Tickets
- Mon 1st Apr 2019 to Mon 8th Apr 2019 Giorgio Moroder: Celebration of the 80sBuy Tickets
- Sun 7th Apr 2019 to Tue 16th Apr 2019 ABCBuy Tickets
- Sat 13th Apr 2019 All TvvinsNational Stadium (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Tue 14th May 2019 to Fri 31st May 2019 Manic Street Preachers, Gwenno: This is My Truth Tell Me YoursBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th May 2019 All Points East, Chemical Brothers, Hot Chip, Primal Scream,...Victoria Park (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Fri 12th Jul 2019 Heritage Live Summer Concerts, The Human League, ABC, Belind...Audley End (Saffron Walden)Buy Tickets
- Tue 29th Oct 2019 to Wed 6th Nov 2019 a-ha: Hunting High and LowBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Nov 2019 Sigrid3arena (Dublin)Buy Tickets