Don McLean serves up American Pie 40th Anniversary UK Tour for 2012- tickets: Saturday 26th November
It is now four decades since Don McLean first recorded his album 'American Pie'. Back in early 1971, McLean was an American folk rock singer-songwriter putting together his second album and hoping to build on the muted commercial reception for his debut record a year earlier, 'Tapestry'.
Twelve months on, and McLean was a global megastar having produced, seemingly out of nowhere, his great work -the album's title track, eight-and-a-half minutes of American Pie. The song, of course, famously muses on the deaths, in a 1959 plane crash, of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper and coined the term 'the day the music died'. After the boundless optimism of the sixties in the US, the explosion of the hippy dream (at Woodstock) and its sudden demise (at Altamont), American music needed a line in the sand and Mclean's Magnum Opus was just that.
Its narrative cathartically guiding American popular music through its recent highs and lows, 'American Pie' emerges into a new decade with warmth and optimism. Audiences love that kind of thing and the song topped the US charts for a month, also reaching No 1 around the world (except in the UK where it was held off the top spot by Nilsson's 'Without You' - what a week).
The follow-up single was, if anything, even better. 'Vincent' oddly only made No 12 in the US but topped our chart and, with 'American Pie', etched a couple of untouchable American folk classics into music history, along with the name of the man who wrote them. There's even a plaque over the table at the New York bar where Mclean supposedly sat writing 'American Pie'.
The album of the same name also became a milestone and to celebrate its release 40 years ago, McLean is touring the record and his remaining back catalogue, including songs like 'Castles in the Air' and famous covers of Roy Orbison's 'Crying' and his hero Buddy Holly's 'Everyday'.
The American Pie 40th Anniversary tour kicks off on 19th October 2012 at Colston Hall in Bristol, before dates in Manchester, Gateshead, London (Royal Albert Hall), Birmingham and Liverpool, before the final gig at the Anvil in Basingstoke on 31st October 2012.
We will have tickets available when they go on sale at 9AM on Saturday 26th November, priced £37.50 for London, £35 for Basingstoke and £33.50 for all other dates.
- Sun 29th Apr 2018 Don McLeanCliffs Pavilion (Southend)Buy Tickets
- Mon 30th Apr 2018 Don McLeanBarbican Centre (York)Buy Tickets
- Tue 1st May 2018 Don McLeanVictoria Theatre (Halifax)Buy Tickets
- Wed 2nd May 2018 Don McLeanThe Sage (Gateshead)Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th May 2018 Don McLeanDe La Warr Pavilion (Sussex)Buy Tickets
- Sun 6th May 2018 Don McLeanWales Millennium Centre (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Mon 7th May 2018 Don McLeanThe Bridgewater Hall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Wed 9th May 2018 Don McLeanLondon Palladium (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Thu 10th May 2018 Don McLeanSymphony Hall (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Sun 13th May 2018 Don McLeanThe Philharmonic Hall (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Tue 15th May 2018 Don McLeanRoyal Concert Hall/ Strathclyde Suite (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Wed 16th May 2018 Don McLeanUsher Hall (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Sun 20th May 2018 Don McLeanVicar Street (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 Don McLeanVicar Street (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Tue 22nd May 2018 Don McLeanVicar Street (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Wed 23rd May 2018 Don McLeanVicar Street (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 Don McLeanThe Royal Theatre (Castlebar)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 Don McLeanAura Arena (Letterkenny)Buy Tickets
- Tue 29th May 2018 Don McLeanWexford Opera House (Wexford)Buy Tickets
- Wed 30th May 2018 Don McLeanLyrath Hotel (Kilkenny)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Jun 2018 Don McLeanUniversity Concert Hall (Limerick)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Jun 2018 Don McLeanUniversity Concert Hall (Limerick)Buy Tickets
- Sun 3rd Jun 2018 Don McLeanKnocknarea Arena (Sligo)Buy Tickets
- Tue 5th Jun 2018 Don McLeanMullingar Park Hotel (Westmeath)Buy Tickets
- Thu 7th Jun 2018 Don McLeanWaterfront Hall (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Fri 8th Jun 2018 Don McLeanLeisureland (Galway)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Jun 2018 Don McLeanLeisureland (Galway)Buy Tickets
- Mon 11th Jun 2018 Don McLeanVicar Street (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Tue 12th Jun 2018 Don McLeanVicar Street (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Thu 14th Jun 2018 Don McLean, Live at the MarqueeMarquee (Cork)Buy Tickets