Don McLean serves up American Pie 40th Anniversary UK Tour for 2012- tickets: Saturday 26th November
It is now four decades since Don McLean first recorded his album 'American Pie'. Back in early 1971, McLean was an American folk rock singer-songwriter putting together his second album and hoping to build on the muted commercial reception for his debut record a year earlier, 'Tapestry'.
Twelve months on, and McLean was a global megastar having produced, seemingly out of nowhere, his great work -the album's title track, eight-and-a-half minutes of American Pie. The song, of course, famously muses on the deaths, in a 1959 plane crash, of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper and coined the term 'the day the music died'. After the boundless optimism of the sixties in the US, the explosion of the hippy dream (at Woodstock) and its sudden demise (at Altamont), American music needed a line in the sand and Mclean's Magnum Opus was just that.
Its narrative cathartically guiding American popular music through its recent highs and lows, 'American Pie' emerges into a new decade with warmth and optimism. Audiences love that kind of thing and the song topped the US charts for a month, also reaching No 1 around the world (except in the UK where it was held off the top spot by Nilsson's 'Without You' - what a week).
The follow-up single was, if anything, even better. 'Vincent' oddly only made No 12 in the US but topped our chart and, with 'American Pie', etched a couple of untouchable American folk classics into music history, along with the name of the man who wrote them. There's even a plaque over the table at the New York bar where Mclean supposedly sat writing 'American Pie'.
The album of the same name also became a milestone and to celebrate its release 40 years ago, McLean is touring the record and his remaining back catalogue, including songs like 'Castles in the Air' and famous covers of Roy Orbison's 'Crying' and his hero Buddy Holly's 'Everyday'.
The American Pie 40th Anniversary tour kicks off on 19th October 2012 at Colston Hall in Bristol, before dates in Manchester, Gateshead, London (Royal Albert Hall), Birmingham and Liverpool, before the final gig at the Anvil in Basingstoke on 31st October 2012.
We will have tickets available when they go on sale at 9AM on Saturday 26th November, priced £37.50 for London, £35 for Basingstoke and £33.50 for all other dates.
- Thu 29th Aug 2019 Don McLeanMiddlesbrough Town Hall/ The Crypt (Middlesbrough)Buy Tickets
- Sat 31st Aug 2019 Don McLeanThe Southport Theatre and Convention Centre (Southport)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Tue 16th Jul 2019 to Thu 19th Dec 2019 Rod StewartBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Jul 2019 Feels like Summer: Bananarama, Bonnie TylerSophia Gardens (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Jul 2019 Rewind Scotland, Foreigner, Lulu, Paul Young, Eddi Reader, J...Scone Palace (Perth and Kinross)Buy Tickets
- Sun 21st Jul 2019 Ramblin' Man Fair, Foreigner, Airbourne, Beth Hart, Inglorio...Mote Park (Maidstone)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Aug 2019 Rewind South, Michael Bolton, Belinda Carlisle, Paul Young, ...Henley (Henley-on-Thames)Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Aug 2019 to Sun 1st Sep 2019 Moseley Folk FestivalBuy Tickets
- Sat 31st Aug 2019 to Fri 1st Nov 2019 Gilbert O'SullivanBuy Tickets
- Sat 14th Sep 2019 BBC Proms in the Park, Barry Manilow, Chrissie Hynde, Jack S...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Wed 18th Sep 2019 Bonnie TylerLondon Palladium (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Wed 2nd Oct 2019 and Wed 9th Oct 2019 Iain MatthewsBuy Tickets
- Thu 3rd Oct 2019 to Tue 29th Oct 2019 Al StewartBuy Tickets
- Mon 7th Oct 2019 to Mon 21st Oct 2019 Chris de BurghBuy Tickets
- Sun 13th Oct 2019 to Fri 18th Oct 2019 John MayerBuy Tickets
- Sun 20th Oct 2019 to Mon 28th Oct 2019 Albert HammondBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st Oct 2019 to Thu 2nd Jan 2020 Van MorrisonBuy Tickets
- Tue 22nd Oct 2019 to Fri 8th Nov 2019 Christopher Cross: Take Me as I AmBuy Tickets
- Sun 17th Nov 2019 Nearly Dan, Steely DanJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 30th Nov 2019 Climax Blues BandThe Voodoo Rooms (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Fri 13th Dec 2019 Dr Feelgood, Climax Blues BandThe Cambridge Junction (Cambridge)Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Mar 2020 Leo SayerBord Gáis Energy Theatre (formerly Grand Canal Theatre) (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Thu 2nd Apr 2020 and Fri 3rd Apr 2020 Richard MarxBuy Tickets
- Sat 25th Apr 2020 The HolliesSpa Theatre and Ocean Room (Scarborough)Buy Tickets
- Wed 4th Nov 2020 to Wed 16th Dec 2020 Elton John: Farewell Yellow Brick RoadBuy Tickets