Don McLean serves up American Pie 40th Anniversary UK Tour for 2012- tickets: Saturday 26th November
It is now four decades since Don McLean first recorded his album 'American Pie'. Back in early 1971, McLean was an American folk rock singer-songwriter putting together his second album and hoping to build on the muted commercial reception for his debut record a year earlier, 'Tapestry'.
Twelve months on, and McLean was a global megastar having produced, seemingly out of nowhere, his great work -the album's title track, eight-and-a-half minutes of American Pie. The song, of course, famously muses on the deaths, in a 1959 plane crash, of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper and coined the term 'the day the music died'. After the boundless optimism of the sixties in the US, the explosion of the hippy dream (at Woodstock) and its sudden demise (at Altamont), American music needed a line in the sand and Mclean's Magnum Opus was just that.
Its narrative cathartically guiding American popular music through its recent highs and lows, 'American Pie' emerges into a new decade with warmth and optimism. Audiences love that kind of thing and the song topped the US charts for a month, also reaching No 1 around the world (except in the UK where it was held off the top spot by Nilsson's 'Without You' - what a week).
The follow-up single was, if anything, even better. 'Vincent' oddly only made No 12 in the US but topped our chart and, with 'American Pie', etched a couple of untouchable American folk classics into music history, along with the name of the man who wrote them. There's even a plaque over the table at the New York bar where Mclean supposedly sat writing 'American Pie'.
The album of the same name also became a milestone and to celebrate its release 40 years ago, McLean is touring the record and his remaining back catalogue, including songs like 'Castles in the Air' and famous covers of Roy Orbison's 'Crying' and his hero Buddy Holly's 'Everyday'.
The American Pie 40th Anniversary tour kicks off on 19th October 2012 at Colston Hall in Bristol, before dates in Manchester, Gateshead, London (Royal Albert Hall), Birmingham and Liverpool, before the final gig at the Anvil in Basingstoke on 31st October 2012.
We will have tickets available when they go on sale at 9AM on Saturday 26th November, priced £37.50 for London, £35 for Basingstoke and £33.50 for all other dates.
You may also be interested in
- Tue 5th Feb 2019 and Thu 7th Feb 2019 Steve ForbertBuy Tickets
- Thu 14th Feb 2019 to Sat 2nd Mar 2019 SmokieBuy Tickets
- Wed 20th Feb 2019 to Thu 28th Feb 2019 Steely Dan, Steve WinwoodBuy Tickets
- Wed 20th Feb 2019 to Fri 12th Apr 2019 Climax Blues BandBuy Tickets
- Mon 25th Feb 2019 to Wed 6th Mar 2019 Bryan Adams: Shine a LightBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st Mar 2019 to Thu 2nd May 2019 10ccBuy Tickets
- Tue 12th Mar 2019 and Wed 13th Mar 2019 An Evening with: Dave Matthews BandBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Mar 2019 and Sat 23rd Mar 2019 Sad CaféBuy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Mar 2019 to Thu 28th Mar 2019 The ScriptBuy Tickets
- Sun 24th Mar 2019 Nearly Dan, Steely DanJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 30th Mar 2019 Teenage Cancer Trust, The ScriptRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Thu 4th Apr 2019 to Sun 14th Apr 2019 Legends Live, Suzi Quatro, David Essex, Les McKeown's Bay Ci...Buy Tickets
- Thu 4th Apr 2019 to Fri 26th Apr 2019 Colin BlunstoneBuy Tickets
- Fri 5th Apr 2019 Eros RamazzottiEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Apr 2019 Legends Live, Suzi Quatro, David Essex, Les McKeown's Bay Ci...First Direct Arena (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Apr 2019 Todd Rundgren: The IndividualistEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 to Wed 1st May 2019 Hall & OatesBuy Tickets
- Thu 2nd May 2019 to Sun 16th Jun 2019 Leo SayerBuy Tickets
- Mon 13th May 2019 to Thu 16th May 2019 Eric ClaptonBuy Tickets
- Wed 22nd May 2019 to Thu 19th Dec 2019 Rod StewartBuy Tickets
- Tue 4th Jun 2019 StyxLondon Palladium (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sun 9th Jun 2019 to Wed 16th Dec 2020 Elton John: Farewell Yellow Brick RoadBuy Tickets
- Thu 13th Jun 2019 to Tue 18th Jun 2019 Fleetwood MacBuy Tickets
- Thu 13th Jun 2019 Live at Chelsea, TotoThe Royal Hospital (Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Jun 2019 Live at the Marquee, TotoMarquee (Cork)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Jun 2019 Billy JoelWembley Stadium (Wembley)Buy Tickets
- Fri 12th Jul 2019 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Bob Dylan, Nei...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Jul 2019 Feels like Summer: Bananarama, Bonnie TylerSophia Gardens (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Aug 2019 to Sun 1st Sep 2019 Moseley Folk FestivalBuy Tickets
- Thu 3rd Oct 2019 to Sun 20th Oct 2019 Al StewartBuy Tickets
- Mon 7th Oct 2019 to Mon 21st Oct 2019 Chris de BurghBuy Tickets
- Fri 13th Dec 2019 Dr Feelgood, Climax Blues BandThe Cambridge Junction (Cambridge)Buy Tickets