Don McLean serves up American Pie 40th Anniversary UK Tour for 2012- tickets: Saturday 26th November
It is now four decades since Don McLean first recorded his album 'American Pie'. Back in early 1971, McLean was an American folk rock singer-songwriter putting together his second album and hoping to build on the muted commercial reception for his debut record a year earlier, 'Tapestry'.
Twelve months on, and McLean was a global megastar having produced, seemingly out of nowhere, his great work -the album's title track, eight-and-a-half minutes of American Pie. The song, of course, famously muses on the deaths, in a 1959 plane crash, of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper and coined the term 'the day the music died'. After the boundless optimism of the sixties in the US, the explosion of the hippy dream (at Woodstock) and its sudden demise (at Altamont), American music needed a line in the sand and Mclean's Magnum Opus was just that.
Its narrative cathartically guiding American popular music through its recent highs and lows, 'American Pie' emerges into a new decade with warmth and optimism. Audiences love that kind of thing and the song topped the US charts for a month, also reaching No 1 around the world (except in the UK where it was held off the top spot by Nilsson's 'Without You' - what a week).
The follow-up single was, if anything, even better. 'Vincent' oddly only made No 12 in the US but topped our chart and, with 'American Pie', etched a couple of untouchable American folk classics into music history, along with the name of the man who wrote them. There's even a plaque over the table at the New York bar where Mclean supposedly sat writing 'American Pie'.
The album of the same name also became a milestone and to celebrate its release 40 years ago, McLean is touring the record and his remaining back catalogue, including songs like 'Castles in the Air' and famous covers of Roy Orbison's 'Crying' and his hero Buddy Holly's 'Everyday'.
The American Pie 40th Anniversary tour kicks off on 19th October 2012 at Colston Hall in Bristol, before dates in Manchester, Gateshead, London (Royal Albert Hall), Birmingham and Liverpool, before the final gig at the Anvil in Basingstoke on 31st October 2012.
We will have tickets available when they go on sale at 9AM on Saturday 26th November, priced £37.50 for London, £35 for Basingstoke and £33.50 for all other dates.
You may be interested in
- Thu 26th Jul 2018 to Fri 3rd May 2019 Leo Sayer: Just a Boy at 70Buy Tickets
- Tue 7th Aug 2018 and Thu 9th Aug 2018 Al StewartBuy Tickets
- Thu 9th Aug 2018 Summer Nights at the Bandstand, Van MorrisonKelvingrove Park (Glasgow)More Info..
- Fri 10th Aug 2018 to Sun 30th Dec 2018 Nathan CarterBuy Tickets
- Sun 12th Aug 2018 Bastille, Justice, The Kooks, Kodaline, Sofi Tukker, Cigaret...Domeniul Stirbey - Buftea (Romania)Buy Tickets
- Fri 17th Aug 2018 to Fri 23rd Nov 2018 Christy MooreBuy Tickets
- Sat 18th Aug 2018 to Fri 22nd Nov 2019 Dr Hook: 50th AnniversaryBuy Tickets
- Thu 23rd Aug 2018 Kodaline, Lewis CapaldiCustom House Square (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th Aug 2018 The CoronasKing John's Castle (Limerick)Buy Tickets
- Thu 30th Aug 2018 to Mon 22nd Oct 2018 Van MorrisonBuy Tickets
- Fri 31st Aug 2018 Heritage Live Summer Concerts, Van Morrison, The Waterboys, ...Wrest Park - Silsoe (Bedfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 to Sat 8th Sep 2018 Barry ManilowBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Sep 2018 to Sat 8th Dec 2018 Dara O'BriainBuy Tickets
- Fri 14th Sep 2018 Nathan Carter, Houghton WeaversThe Guild Hall & Charter Theatre (Preston)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Sep 2018 James BluntBath Racecourse (Bath)Buy Tickets
- Thu 20th Sep 2018 to Tue 2nd Oct 2018 Albert HammondBuy Tickets
- Mon 8th Oct 2018 Donavon FrankenreiterDingwalls - Lock 17 (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 to Mon 19th Nov 2018 Michael BoltonBuy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 Climax Blues BandThe Raven Hotel (Corby)Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Oct 2018 to Sat 17th Nov 2018 10ccBuy Tickets
- Fri 19th Oct 2018 AmericaLondon Palladium (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Oct 2018 BluesFest, Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters, ...The O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th Oct 2018 and Sun 28th Oct 2018 Stepback - the 80s Concert, Tony Hadley, ABC, Bonnie Tyler, ...Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Oct 2018 BluesFest: Robert Plant, Van Morrison3arena (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Oct 2018 and Mon 5th Nov 2018 Curtis StigersBuy Tickets
- Sat 10th Nov 2018 Sad CaféThe Cinnamon Club (Altrincham)Buy Tickets
- Wed 5th Dec 2018 Air SupplyVicar Street (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Wed 12th Dec 2018 to Sun 16th Dec 2018 Paul McCartney: Freshen UpBuy Tickets
- Thu 13th Dec 2018 The Pretty Things, David Gilmour, Van Morrison: Final BowIndigo at the O2 (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Dec 2018 '80s Christmas Concert: Stepback - the 80s Concert, Tony Hadley, Bonnie Tyler, ABC, ...Ricoh Arena / Ericsson Arena (Coventry)Buy Tickets
- Mon 31st Dec 2018 Nathan Carter, Sharon ShannonINEC - Gleneagle Hotel Killarney (Kerry)Buy Tickets
- Thu 14th Feb 2019 and Sat 2nd Mar 2019 SmokieBuy Tickets
- Wed 12th Jun 2019 and Thu 13th Jun 2019 Elton John: Farewell TourBuy Tickets