Don McLean serves up American Pie 40th Anniversary UK Tour for 2012- tickets: Saturday 26th November
It is now four decades since Don McLean first recorded his album 'American Pie'. Back in early 1971, McLean was an American folk rock singer-songwriter putting together his second album and hoping to build on the muted commercial reception for his debut record a year earlier, 'Tapestry'.
Twelve months on, and McLean was a global megastar having produced, seemingly out of nowhere, his great work -the album's title track, eight-and-a-half minutes of American Pie. The song, of course, famously muses on the deaths, in a 1959 plane crash, of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper and coined the term 'the day the music died'. After the boundless optimism of the sixties in the US, the explosion of the hippy dream (at Woodstock) and its sudden demise (at Altamont), American music needed a line in the sand and Mclean's Magnum Opus was just that.
Its narrative cathartically guiding American popular music through its recent highs and lows, 'American Pie' emerges into a new decade with warmth and optimism. Audiences love that kind of thing and the song topped the US charts for a month, also reaching No 1 around the world (except in the UK where it was held off the top spot by Nilsson's 'Without You' - what a week).
The follow-up single was, if anything, even better. 'Vincent' oddly only made No 12 in the US but topped our chart and, with 'American Pie', etched a couple of untouchable American folk classics into music history, along with the name of the man who wrote them. There's even a plaque over the table at the New York bar where Mclean supposedly sat writing 'American Pie'.
The album of the same name also became a milestone and to celebrate its release 40 years ago, McLean is touring the record and his remaining back catalogue, including songs like 'Castles in the Air' and famous covers of Roy Orbison's 'Crying' and his hero Buddy Holly's 'Everyday'.
The American Pie 40th Anniversary tour kicks off on 19th October 2012 at Colston Hall in Bristol, before dates in Manchester, Gateshead, London (Royal Albert Hall), Birmingham and Liverpool, before the final gig at the Anvil in Basingstoke on 31st October 2012.
We will have tickets available when they go on sale at 9AM on Saturday 26th November, priced £37.50 for London, £35 for Basingstoke and £33.50 for all other dates.
You may be interested in
- Mon 22nd Oct 2018 to Thu 2nd May 2019 10ccBuy Tickets
- Mon 22nd Oct 2018 Van MorrisonHippodrome (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Tue 23rd Oct 2018 to Mon 19th Nov 2018 Michael BoltonBuy Tickets
- Tue 23rd Oct 2018 Steve ForbertJericho Tavern (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Thu 25th Oct 2018 to Fri 26th Apr 2019 Dara O'BriainBuy Tickets
- Fri 26th Oct 2018 to Sat 14th Sep 2019 Nathan CarterBuy Tickets
- Fri 26th Oct 2018 BluesFest, Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters, ...The O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th Oct 2018 and Sun 28th Oct 2018 Stepback - the 80s Concert, Tony Hadley, ABC, Bonnie Tyler, ...Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Oct 2018 BluesFest: Robert Plant, Van Morrison3arena (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Oct 2018 and Mon 5th Nov 2018 Curtis StigersBuy Tickets
- Wed 31st Oct 2018 to Fri 16th Aug 2019 Christy MooreBuy Tickets
- Wed 7th Nov 2018 BBC Children In Need Rocks, George Ezra, Jess Glynne, Nile R...Wembley SSE Arena (Wembley)Buy Tickets
- Sat 10th Nov 2018 Sad CaféThe Cinnamon Club (Altrincham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 Fleetwood MacMonroes Live (Galway)Buy Tickets
- Mon 3rd Dec 2018 to Sat 29th Dec 2018 The CoronasBuy Tickets
- Wed 5th Dec 2018 Air SupplyVicar Street (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Wed 12th Dec 2018 to Sun 16th Dec 2018 Paul McCartney: Freshen UpBuy Tickets
- Thu 13th Dec 2018 The Pretty Things, David Gilmour, Van Morrison: Final BowIndigo at the O2 (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Dec 2018 '80s Christmas Concert: Stepback - the 80s Concert, Tony Hadley, Bonnie Tyler, ABC, ...Ricoh Arena / Ericsson Arena (Coventry)Buy Tickets
- Mon 31st Dec 2018 Nathan Carter, Sharon ShannonINEC - Gleneagle Hotel Killarney (Kerry)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Jan 2019 to Fri 1st Feb 2019 Bell X1Buy Tickets
- Thu 14th Feb 2019 to Sat 2nd Mar 2019 SmokieBuy Tickets
- Wed 20th Feb 2019 to Thu 28th Feb 2019 Steely Dan, Steve WinwoodBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st Mar 2019 and Wed 6th Mar 2019 Climax Blues BandBuy Tickets
- Tue 12th Mar 2019 and Wed 13th Mar 2019 An Evening with: Dave Matthews BandOn SaleFri 26th Octat 9am
- Tue 19th Mar 2019 to Sun 31st Mar 2019 Picture ThisOn SaleThu 25th Octat 8am
- Thu 4th Apr 2019 to Sun 14th Apr 2019 Legends Live, Suzi Quatro, David Essex, Les McKeown's Bay Ci...Buy Tickets
- Thu 4th Apr 2019 to Fri 26th Apr 2019 Colin BlunstoneBuy Tickets
- Fri 5th Apr 2019 Eros RamazzottiEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Thu 2nd May 2019 to Sun 16th Jun 2019 Leo SayerBuy Tickets
- Wed 22nd May 2019 to Fri 14th Jun 2019 Rod StewartBuy Tickets
- Sun 9th Jun 2019 to Sat 15th Jun 2019 Elton John: Farewell Yellow Brick RoadBuy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Jun 2019 Billy JoelWembley Stadium (Wembley)Buy Tickets
- Mon 7th Oct 2019 to Mon 21st Oct 2019 Chris de BurghBuy Tickets