R.I.P. legendary and under-rated singer Jackie Leven succumbs to cancer, aged just 61
It seems as though Death has been rather busy this year - now the cruel hand of fate has just brushed the shoulders of another talented and largely-ignored musician in the shape of Jackie Leven. He passed away on Monday night after a long struggle with cancer - he was 61.
Leven was born in Kirkcaldy in Scotland in 1950 and started out as John St Field, before forming atmospheric folk-rock outfit Doll By Doll in the late '70s. With one foot in traditional Scottish rock and another in the new-wave movement of the time, they once shared tour-dates with Ultravox (the Foxx-era) before disbanding in 1982 after a string of highly-regarded albums, including their self-titled third album in 1980.
After the demise of the group, Jackie went solo and built himself a considerable legacy under the guidance of renowned indie-label, Cooking Vinyl. His first commercially-available album, "Songs from the Argyll Cycle, Vol 1", appeared in 1994. It was to be the first of a prolific release schedule that occasionally resulted in more than one album a year - "The Haunted Year", a homage to the four seasons, being a fine example. Other albums include "The Mystery of Love is Greater Than the Mystery of Death", "Night Lillies" and "Jackie Leven Said", with novelist Ian Rankin.
Cited as an influence by many younger musicians and older fans alike, Jackie Leven's obscurity wasn't helped by his drug addiction (he finally kicked it in later years), but his emotive and moving music lives on. Check out the almost poppy "Snow in Central Park" in the video above.
Gigging until the end, Jackie was to be playing in his native Scotland this week as well as further dates running into 2012.
You may be interested in
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 to Sat 17th Nov 2018 Killing Joke: Laugh at Your PerilBuy Tickets
- Thu 15th Nov 2018 to Wed 28th Nov 2018 OysterbandBuy Tickets
- Sat 17th Nov 2018 The MekonsNells Jazz and Blues (Kensington and Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Tue 20th Nov 2018 to Wed 28th Nov 2018 The VirginmarysBuy Tickets
- Tue 27th Nov 2018 and Wed 28th Nov 2018 Nitin SawhneyBuy Tickets
- Wed 5th Dec 2018 to Sat 6th Apr 2019 The Wedding PresentBuy Tickets
- Wed 5th Dec 2018 to Sun 9th Dec 2018 james, The CharlatansBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Dec 2018 and Fri 7th Dec 2018 Lewis Capaldi, Nina NesbittBuy Tickets
- Fri 14th Dec 2018 to Fri 21st Dec 2018 Pop Will Eat ItselfBuy Tickets
- Thu 20th Dec 2018 Echo and the BunnymenHolmfirth Picturedrome (West Yorkshire)Buy Tickets
- Wed 13th Mar 2019 to Fri 24th May 2019 The BluetonesBuy Tickets
- Fri 5th Apr 2019 to Sun 21st Apr 2019 Love from Stourbridge 2019: Ned's Atomic Dustbin, Pop Will Eat Itself, Miles HuntBuy Tickets
- Wed 17th Apr 2019 to Fri 26th Apr 2019 Dropkick MurphysBuy Tickets
- Thu 2nd May 2019 to Sat 18th May 2019 The Undertones, Neville StapleBuy Tickets
- Sat 4th May 2019 to Fri 17th May 2019 The UndertonesBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th May 2019 Rory McLeodKatie Fitzgerald's (Stourbridge)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th May 2019 Call of the Wild Festival, The VirginmarysLincolnshire Showground (Lincoln)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th May 2019 Gigantic Vol. 5: Echo and the Bunnymen, The Wonder Stuff, The Bluetones, Jesu...Manchester Academy (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th May 2019 Neighbourhood Weekender, Richard Ashcroft, The Vaccines, Sla...Victoria Park (Warrington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 21st Jun 2019 Buzzcocks, The Skids, PenetrationRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Jun 2019 and Sat 29th Jun 2019 BuzzcocksBuy Tickets