Why Reggie so crazy? find out as Reggie Watts confirms Roundhouse show for 2012!
The mark of a good comedian are the basics - excellent patter, confidence, audience-rapport and, above all, hilarious jokes. However, if a comic is blessed with a physical quirk or blemish, then all the better. Milton Jones wouldn't be Milton Jones without the slightly perplexed expression and a hairstyle that looks like it's seen the inside of a wind tunnel more than a barbers. Greg Davis makes good use of his height and brick-house chest-width, while the revered Les Dawson, surely one of comedy's greats, had a face that sank a thousand chips [sic] and a knack for monologues that could curdle varnish.
Reggie Watts is another comedian who is blessed with a few outstanding features, the most physically obvious one is his hair - we're talking rampant afro locks. But that doesn't necessarily make him funny, it just makes him all the more memorable when combined with his rapier-like rapping sequences, in which no two raps seem the same, or his breath-taking beat-boxing which impressed our own Beardyman enough to include him in his recent Udderbelly show, "Complete and Utter Shambles". It's all about persona.
With praise being showered upon the award-winning American from all sides - GQ branded him a "comic genius", the Toronto Star exclaimed him as "altogether weird, wonderful and sublimely funny", even Brian Eno went one better than GQ by calling Reggie, "a towering genius"- that's a whole bunch to live up to. And you can judge for yourself when the king of absurdist hip-hop and creator of the album, "Why $#!+ So Crazy?" hits London in 2012.
Watts will be appearing at the Roundhouse on 23rd January, a perfect show to wipe away the Christmas cobwebs and the cold turkey.
We will have tickets for this show from Friday morning at 9am, priced from £17.50 to £22.50 plus fees. Our editor recommends him - he stole the show at a Lewis Taylor gig a few years back, not an easy thing to do it has to be said!
You may be interested in
- Sun 18th Nov 2018 to Fri 22nd Mar 2019 David O'DohertyBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Nov 2018 to Sun 10th Feb 2019 Adam KayBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 to Sat 24th Nov 2018 The DollsBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 Tom AdamsSt Pancras Old Church (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 to Sat 2nd Feb 2019 AbandomanBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 to Sun 17th Feb 2019 Phil NicholBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 to Fri 17th May 2019 Macc LadsBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 to Sat 13th Apr 2019 Rich Hall: Rich Hall's HoedownBuy Tickets
- Sun 25th Nov 2018 and Fri 25th Jan 2019 Graham FellowsBuy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 to Sat 13th Apr 2019 The Lancashire HotpotsBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 Steve Gribbin, Sam Avery, Brendan RileyThe Bentley (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 and Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Mik Artistik's Ego TripBuy Tickets
- Mon 3rd Dec 2018 to Mon 17th Jun 2019 Bill BaileyBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Dec 2018 James Acaster, Mae Martin, Ed Gamble, Simon MunneryBloomsbury Theatre (Bloomsbury)Buy Tickets
- Sun 16th Dec 2018 to Fri 22nd Feb 2019 David FordBuy Tickets
- Mon 17th Dec 2018 Frisky and MannishThe Spiegeltent (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Thu 27th Dec 2018 The RubberbanditsDolan's Pub/ Warehouse/ Restaurant (Limerick)Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th Jan 2019 Jonny AwsumThe Arts Centre (Essex)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Jan 2019 Gavin OsbornFrenchay Village Hall (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sun 20th Jan 2019 to Sun 3rd Feb 2019 The 2 Johnnies: Kids ShowBuy Tickets
- Wed 23rd Jan 2019 to Thu 14th Feb 2019 Marc RebilletBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st Feb 2019 to Thu 18th Apr 2019 Andrew LawrenceBuy Tickets
- Mon 18th Feb 2019 Vikki StoneThe Cookie (Leicester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Mar 2019 to Sun 7th Apr 2019 Rachel ParrisBuy Tickets
- Mon 4th Mar 2019 to Tue 26th Mar 2019 KT TunstallBuy Tickets
- Tue 19th Mar 2019 to Fri 22nd Mar 2019 Ólafur ArnaldsBuy Tickets
- Mon 25th Mar 2019 and Tue 26th Mar 2019 KimbraBuy Tickets
- Sun 14th Apr 2019 to Thu 18th Apr 2019 Demetri Martin: Wandering MindBuy Tickets
- Sun 21st Apr 2019 to Thu 25th Apr 2019 Rufus Wainwright: All These PosesBuy Tickets
- Sat 27th Apr 2019 Scotland Calling, The Exploited, Slaughter and the Dogs, Mac...O2 Academy Glasgow (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Aug 2019 to Mon 26th Aug 2019 Ed SheeranBuy Tickets
- Tue 15th Oct 2019 to Sat 30th Nov 2019 Tim Minchin: BackBuy Tickets
- Thu 17th Oct 2019 And In The End...: The Bootleg Beatles, Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra,...Royal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets