Randy Newman returns to the Land of Dreams with new CD/DVD and 2012 European tour
At some point in your life, either when listening to the radio, watching a movie or surfing the net for music-chart statistics, you will have stumbled across something composed by American songwriter, Randy Newman, either by accident or by doing some digging. Put it this way, he's been composing since he was 17 - he turns 68 in a month's time - and written a LOT of music.
For a start, his many songs have provided food in the fridge for other artists. "Mama Told Me (Not To Come)", with or without the brackets, is possibly his biggest crossover success over here, due to its maximum-volume conversion by Tom Jones and Stereophonics in 2000, preceded by versions from artists as diverse as 'Sweet Soul Music' shouter, Wilson Pickett, quirky US rockers Three Dog Night (who turned into a #1 hit) and the bonkers avant-garde 4AD outfit, The Wolfgang Press. His other biggies include "Sail Away" and "I Think it's Going to Rain Today", the latter a double 'A' side for UB40 ("My Way of Thinking" was the radio choice on the single).
But Newman's real forte has been film-soundtracks - he's been involved in box-office breaking animation such as Toy Story, Cars and A Bug's Life, comedy triumphs (and mis-hits) Parenthood, Meet the Parents (and Fockers) and Pleasantville and the serious Ragtime, one of his earlier cinematic forays. When Newman shoots, he scores.
He also loves to perform live, but it's been a while since his last visit to the UK, and even longer since he last toured. That's all about to change with the announcement of a new European tour next year, including shows in the UK and Ireland, plus the preceding release of the CD/ DVD package, "Live in London", recorded during his 2008 "Harps and Angels" show with the LSO (due 8th November).
For his 2012 shows, Newman will perform songs from the new set featuring the aforementioned trio of classics, plus others from the 22-strong tracklist. His tour kicks off in the UK in Gateshead on 22nd February, followed by Glasgow on the 24th before heading to Belgium for 2 shows. Newman then returns to England with a show at the Royal Festival Hall on the 28th and a pair of evenings in Dublin on 1st and 2nd March. Our man then resumes his European tour by pinballing around Northern Europe!
Tickets for the UK and Ireland shows are available from us now, except the Royal Festival show in London which goes on sale from 10am tomorrow (Friday). Prices vary from £35 for Glasgow, to £45 for London (€55 for Dublin).
You may be interested in
- Sun 24th Jun 2018 The Script, BelsonicOrmeau Park (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Mon 25th Jun 2018 and Tue 26th Jun 2018 The Script, Live at the MarqueeBuy Tickets
- Fri 29th Jun 2018 TRNSMT, Stereophonics, The Script, James Bay, Kodaline, Jess...Glasgow Green (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 29th Jun 2018 Newmarket Nights, James BluntNewmarket Racecourse (Newmarket)Buy Tickets
- Sun 1st Jul 2018 Love Supreme Festival, Earth Wind and Fire, George Clinton, ...Glynde Place (Lewes)Buy Tickets
- Mon 2nd Jul 2018 Steve WinwoodThe Bridgewater Hall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 8th Jul 2018 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Eric Clapton, ...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Mon 9th Jul 2018 to Tue 17th Jul 2018 James Taylor, Bonnie RaittBuy Tickets
- Tue 10th Jul 2018 to Fri 13th Jul 2018 Paul SimonBuy Tickets
- Fri 13th Jul 2018 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Michael Bubl&e...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Fri 13th Jul 2018 to Sat 15th Sep 2018 Leo SayerBuy Tickets
- Fri 13th Jul 2018 to Mon 30th Jul 2018 Natalie MerchantBuy Tickets
- Sun 15th Jul 2018 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Paul Simon, Ja...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sun 15th Jul 2018 to Mon 5th Nov 2018 Curtis StigersBuy Tickets
- Mon 16th Jul 2018 to Fri 20th Jul 2018 Marc CohnBuy Tickets
- Thu 9th Aug 2018 Summer Nights at the Bandstand, Van MorrisonKelvingrove Park (Glasgow)More Info..
- Thu 9th Aug 2018 Al StewartNells Jazz and Blues (Kensington and Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Sat 18th Aug 2018 to Fri 22nd Nov 2019 Dr Hook: 50th AnniversaryBuy Tickets
- Thu 30th Aug 2018 to Mon 22nd Oct 2018 Van MorrisonBuy Tickets
- Fri 31st Aug 2018 Heritage Live Summer Concerts, Van Morrison, The Waterboys, ...Wrest Park - Silsoe (Bedfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 to Sat 8th Sep 2018 Barry ManilowBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Sep 2018 James BluntBath Racecourse (Bath)Buy Tickets
- Thu 20th Sep 2018 to Tue 2nd Oct 2018 Albert HammondBuy Tickets
- Mon 8th Oct 2018 Donavon FrankenreiterDingwalls - Lock 17 (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 to Mon 19th Nov 2018 Michael BoltonBuy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 Climax Blues BandThe Raven Hotel (Corby)Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Oct 2018 to Sat 17th Nov 2018 10ccBuy Tickets
- Fri 19th Oct 2018 AmericaLondon Palladium (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Oct 2018 BluesFest, Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters, ...The O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th Oct 2018 and Sun 28th Oct 2018 Stepback - the 80s Concert, Tony Hadley, ABC, Bonnie Tyler, ...Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Oct 2018 BluesFest: Robert Plant, Van Morrison3arena (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Sat 10th Nov 2018 Sad CaféThe Cinnamon Club (Altrincham)Buy Tickets
- Wed 5th Dec 2018 Air SupplyVicar Street (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Thu 13th Dec 2018 The Pretty Things, David Gilmour, Van Morrison: Final BowIndigo at the O2 (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Dec 2018 '80s Christmas Concert: Stepback - the 80s Concert, Tony Hadley, Bonnie Tyler, ABC, ...Ricoh Arena / Ericsson Arena (Coventry)Buy Tickets
- Wed 12th Jun 2019 and Thu 13th Jun 2019 Elton John: Farewell TourBuy Tickets