Randy Newman returns to the Land of Dreams with new CD/DVD and 2012 European tour
At some point in your life, either when listening to the radio, watching a movie or surfing the net for music-chart statistics, you will have stumbled across something composed by American songwriter, Randy Newman, either by accident or by doing some digging. Put it this way, he's been composing since he was 17 - he turns 68 in a month's time - and written a LOT of music.
For a start, his many songs have provided food in the fridge for other artists. "Mama Told Me (Not To Come)", with or without the brackets, is possibly his biggest crossover success over here, due to its maximum-volume conversion by Tom Jones and Stereophonics in 2000, preceded by versions from artists as diverse as 'Sweet Soul Music' shouter, Wilson Pickett, quirky US rockers Three Dog Night (who turned into a #1 hit) and the bonkers avant-garde 4AD outfit, The Wolfgang Press. His other biggies include "Sail Away" and "I Think it's Going to Rain Today", the latter a double 'A' side for UB40 ("My Way of Thinking" was the radio choice on the single).
But Newman's real forte has been film-soundtracks - he's been involved in box-office breaking animation such as Toy Story, Cars and A Bug's Life, comedy triumphs (and mis-hits) Parenthood, Meet the Parents (and Fockers) and Pleasantville and the serious Ragtime, one of his earlier cinematic forays. When Newman shoots, he scores.
He also loves to perform live, but it's been a while since his last visit to the UK, and even longer since he last toured. That's all about to change with the announcement of a new European tour next year, including shows in the UK and Ireland, plus the preceding release of the CD/ DVD package, "Live in London", recorded during his 2008 "Harps and Angels" show with the LSO (due 8th November).
For his 2012 shows, Newman will perform songs from the new set featuring the aforementioned trio of classics, plus others from the 22-strong tracklist. His tour kicks off in the UK in Gateshead on 22nd February, followed by Glasgow on the 24th before heading to Belgium for 2 shows. Newman then returns to England with a show at the Royal Festival Hall on the 28th and a pair of evenings in Dublin on 1st and 2nd March. Our man then resumes his European tour by pinballing around Northern Europe!
Tickets for the UK and Ireland shows are available from us now, except the Royal Festival show in London which goes on sale from 10am tomorrow (Friday). Prices vary from £35 for Glasgow, to £45 for London (€55 for Dublin).
You may be interested in
- Wed 26th Sep 2018 Nordoff Robbins Get Loud, Gilbert O'SullivanCottier's (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Sep 2018 to Tue 2nd Oct 2018 Albert HammondBuy Tickets
- Tue 2nd Oct 2018 to Mon 22nd Oct 2018 Van MorrisonBuy Tickets
- Mon 8th Oct 2018 Donavon FrankenreiterDingwalls - Lock 17 (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 to Mon 19th Nov 2018 Michael BoltonBuy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 Climax Blues BandThe Raven Hotel (Corby)Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Oct 2018 to Sat 17th Nov 2018 10ccBuy Tickets
- Fri 19th Oct 2018 AmericaLondon Palladium (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sun 21st Oct 2018 and Tue 23rd Oct 2018 Steve ForbertBuy Tickets
- Fri 26th Oct 2018 BluesFest, Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters, ...The O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th Oct 2018 and Sun 28th Oct 2018 Stepback - the 80s Concert, Tony Hadley, ABC, Bonnie Tyler, ...Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Oct 2018 BluesFest: Robert Plant, Van Morrison3arena (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Oct 2018 and Mon 5th Nov 2018 Curtis StigersBuy Tickets
- Sat 10th Nov 2018 Sad CaféThe Cinnamon Club (Altrincham)Buy Tickets
- Wed 5th Dec 2018 Air SupplyVicar Street (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Wed 12th Dec 2018 to Sun 16th Dec 2018 Paul McCartney: Freshen UpBuy Tickets
- Thu 13th Dec 2018 The Pretty Things, David Gilmour, Van Morrison: Final BowIndigo at the O2 (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Dec 2018 '80s Christmas Concert: Stepback - the 80s Concert, Tony Hadley, Bonnie Tyler, ABC, ...Ricoh Arena / Ericsson Arena (Coventry)Buy Tickets
- Thu 14th Feb 2019 to Sat 2nd Mar 2019 SmokieBuy Tickets
- Wed 20th Feb 2019 to Thu 28th Feb 2019 Steely Dan, Steve WinwoodBuy Tickets
- Thu 4th Apr 2019 to Sun 14th Apr 2019 Legends Live, Suzi Quatro, David Essex, Les McKeown's Bay Ci...Buy Tickets
- Thu 4th Apr 2019 and Thu 11th Apr 2019 Colin BlunstoneBuy Tickets
- Fri 5th Apr 2019 Eros RamazzottiEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Fri 3rd May 2019 Leo Sayer: Just a Boy at 70Union Chapel (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Thu 30th May 2019 to Fri 14th Jun 2019 Rod StewartBuy Tickets
- Sun 9th Jun 2019 to Sat 15th Jun 2019 Elton John: Farewell Yellow Brick RoadBuy Tickets
- Thu 7th Nov 2019 to Sat 30th Nov 2019 Dr HookBuy Tickets