Randy Newman returns to the Land of Dreams with new CD/DVD and 2012 European tour
At some point in your life, either when listening to the radio, watching a movie or surfing the net for music-chart statistics, you will have stumbled across something composed by American songwriter, Randy Newman, either by accident or by doing some digging. Put it this way, he's been composing since he was 17 - he turns 68 in a month's time - and written a LOT of music.
For a start, his many songs have provided food in the fridge for other artists. "Mama Told Me (Not To Come)", with or without the brackets, is possibly his biggest crossover success over here, due to its maximum-volume conversion by Tom Jones and Stereophonics in 2000, preceded by versions from artists as diverse as 'Sweet Soul Music' shouter, Wilson Pickett, quirky US rockers Three Dog Night (who turned into a #1 hit) and the bonkers avant-garde 4AD outfit, The Wolfgang Press. His other biggies include "Sail Away" and "I Think it's Going to Rain Today", the latter a double 'A' side for UB40 ("My Way of Thinking" was the radio choice on the single).
But Newman's real forte has been film-soundtracks - he's been involved in box-office breaking animation such as Toy Story, Cars and A Bug's Life, comedy triumphs (and mis-hits) Parenthood, Meet the Parents (and Fockers) and Pleasantville and the serious Ragtime, one of his earlier cinematic forays. When Newman shoots, he scores.
He also loves to perform live, but it's been a while since his last visit to the UK, and even longer since he last toured. That's all about to change with the announcement of a new European tour next year, including shows in the UK and Ireland, plus the preceding release of the CD/ DVD package, "Live in London", recorded during his 2008 "Harps and Angels" show with the LSO (due 8th November).
For his 2012 shows, Newman will perform songs from the new set featuring the aforementioned trio of classics, plus others from the 22-strong tracklist. His tour kicks off in the UK in Gateshead on 22nd February, followed by Glasgow on the 24th before heading to Belgium for 2 shows. Newman then returns to England with a show at the Royal Festival Hall on the 28th and a pair of evenings in Dublin on 1st and 2nd March. Our man then resumes his European tour by pinballing around Northern Europe!
Tickets for the UK and Ireland shows are available from us now, except the Royal Festival show in London which goes on sale from 10am tomorrow (Friday). Prices vary from £35 for Glasgow, to £45 for London (€55 for Dublin).
You may be interested in
- Sun 16th Jun 2019 Leo SayerThe Grand Pavilion - Porthcawl (Bridgend)Buy Tickets
- Sun 16th Jun 2019 and Tue 18th Jun 2019 Fleetwood MacBuy Tickets
- Tue 18th Jun 2019 to Sun 23rd Jun 2019 Curtis StigersBuy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Jun 2019 Billy JoelWembley Stadium (Wembley)Buy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Jun 2019 Van MorrisonBotanic Gardens (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Jul 2019 and Mon 8th Jul 2019 Hall & OatesBuy Tickets
- Sat 6th Jul 2019 and Sun 7th Jul 2019 Innervisions Festival, Van Morrison, James HunterBuy Tickets
- Tue 9th Jul 2019 to Thu 19th Dec 2019 Rod StewartBuy Tickets
- Fri 12th Jul 2019 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Bob Dylan, Nei...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Jul 2019 Lytham Festival, Rod Stewart, Wet Wet Wet, Joanne Shaw Taylo...Lytham Green (Lancashire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Jul 2019 Feels like Summer: Bananarama, Bonnie TylerSophia Gardens (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Jul 2019 Rewind Scotland, Foreigner, Lulu, Paul Young, Eddi Reader, J...Scone Palace (Perth and Kinross)Buy Tickets
- Sun 21st Jul 2019 Ramblin' Man Fair, Foreigner, Airbourne, Beth Hart, Inglorio...Mote Park (Maidstone)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Aug 2019 Rewind South, Michael Bolton, Belinda Carlisle, Paul Young, ...Henley (Henley-on-Thames)Buy Tickets
- Thu 29th Aug 2019 and Sat 31st Aug 2019 Don McLeanBuy Tickets
- Sat 31st Aug 2019 to Mon 7th Oct 2019 Gilbert O'SullivanBuy Tickets
- Sat 14th Sep 2019 BBC Proms in the Park, Barry Manilow, Chrissie Hynde, Jack S...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Wed 18th Sep 2019 Bonnie TylerLondon Palladium (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Wed 2nd Oct 2019 and Wed 9th Oct 2019 Iain MatthewsBuy Tickets
- Thu 3rd Oct 2019 to Tue 29th Oct 2019 Al StewartBuy Tickets
- Mon 7th Oct 2019 to Mon 21st Oct 2019 Chris de BurghBuy Tickets
- Sun 13th Oct 2019 to Fri 18th Oct 2019 John MayerBuy Tickets
- Sun 20th Oct 2019 to Sun 3rd Nov 2019 CherBuy Tickets
- Sun 20th Oct 2019 to Mon 28th Oct 2019 Albert HammondBuy Tickets
- Tue 22nd Oct 2019 to Fri 8th Nov 2019 Christopher Cross: Take Me as I AmBuy Tickets
- Sun 17th Nov 2019 Nearly Dan, Steely DanJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 30th Nov 2019 Climax Blues BandThe Voodoo Rooms (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Fri 13th Dec 2019 Dr Feelgood, Climax Blues BandThe Cambridge Junction (Cambridge)Buy Tickets
- Wed 4th Nov 2020 to Wed 16th Dec 2020 Elton John: Farewell Yellow Brick RoadBuy Tickets