Wilko Johnson celebrates his own Feelgood factor with spring 2012 UK tour, book and box set
There's no denying it - Ian Dury and The Blockheads were a formidable force when it came to live shows. Naturally, being the band's frontman, Dury himself earned props for the vitality, verve and vigour achieved by a lyricist at the top of his game. Behind him though, a class live act powered their way through the classics such as "Hit Me with Your Rhythm Stick" and "What A Waste".
Meanwhile, a certain Wilko Johnson was winding up his relationship with blues-rockers, Dr Feelgood, and founding his own Wilko Johnson Band. By 1980, Dury and Johnson converged and the latter joined his crack bunch of Blockheads, with the fearsome guitarist contributing to the band's "Laughter" album, including the excellent, "Sueperman's Big Sister" (sic) single and continuing the Blockheads' live legacy, whilst also working with his own band.
Three decades later, the Blockheads connection continues with Johnson - his current sparring partners on stage are previous Dury stooges, bassist Norman Watt-Roy and drummer Dylan Howe, whilst his former career with Dr Feelgood came under the spotlight in 2009 with the DVD release of the band's documentary, "Oil City Confidential", a broad reference to their home-turf of Canvey Island.
And it's biographical events that will be featuring heavily in Johnson's calendar in 2012, when EMI will be issuing a Dr Feelgood box-set, Johnson's autobiography "Looking Back At Me" (written in association with Zoë Howe) gets published in the spring and Fender will be producing a limited run of a Stratocaster based on Johnson's 1962 model. But, there is a forward-thinking element to all of this - Wilko is working on a new album, some of which may rear its head during his lengthy 2012 tour.
First stop will be Buxton on 5th April, followed by Sale, Clitheroe, Newbury, Tavistock and many more until Bridport on the 29th. Tickets will be available here from Friday, priced at £17.50. Joining Wilko, Watt-Roy and Howe will be special guests, Virgil and the Accelerators.
You may be interested in
- Sat 25th May 2019 Dr FeelgoodThe Greystones (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th May 2019 Dr FeelgoodThe Cheese and Grain (Frome)Buy Tickets
- Thu 13th Jun 2019 Dr FeelgoodThe Marr's Bar (Worcester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Jun 2019 The BlockheadsThe Old Market (Hove)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Jun 2019 Dr FeelgoodLavenham Village Hall (Sudbury)Buy Tickets
- Wed 10th Jul 2019 Dr FeelgoodYardbirds Club (Grimsby)Buy Tickets
- Sat 31st Aug 2019 The Blockheads, Chantel McGregor, Stevie Nimmo, Zal Cleminso...Leicester Arena (Leicester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Oct 2019 The BlockheadsThe Voodoo Rooms (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th Oct 2019 The BlockheadsOran Mor (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Nov 2019 Dr FeelgoodRobin (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 21st Nov 2019 Dr FeelgoodStramash (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Nov 2019 Dr FeelgoodBackstage at the Green Hotel (Kinross)Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Dec 2019 Dr FeelgoodCluny (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Fri 13th Dec 2019 Dr Feelgood, Climax Blues BandThe Cambridge Junction (Cambridge)Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Dec 2019 Dr FeelgoodThe Flowerpot (Derby)Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Dec 2019 Dr FeelgoodThe Musician (Leicester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Dec 2019 The BlockheadsO2 Academy Islington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 17th Jan 2020 Dr Feelgood, The Claim100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Mar 2020 The BlockheadsKing George's Hall (Blackburn)Buy Tickets