Wilko Johnson celebrates his own Feelgood factor with spring 2012 UK tour, book and box set
There's no denying it - Ian Dury and The Blockheads were a formidable force when it came to live shows. Naturally, being the band's frontman, Dury himself earned props for the vitality, verve and vigour achieved by a lyricist at the top of his game. Behind him though, a class live act powered their way through the classics such as "Hit Me with Your Rhythm Stick" and "What A Waste".
Meanwhile, a certain Wilko Johnson was winding up his relationship with blues-rockers, Dr Feelgood, and founding his own Wilko Johnson Band. By 1980, Dury and Johnson converged and the latter joined his crack bunch of Blockheads, with the fearsome guitarist contributing to the band's "Laughter" album, including the excellent, "Sueperman's Big Sister" (sic) single and continuing the Blockheads' live legacy, whilst also working with his own band.
Three decades later, the Blockheads connection continues with Johnson - his current sparring partners on stage are previous Dury stooges, bassist Norman Watt-Roy and drummer Dylan Howe, whilst his former career with Dr Feelgood came under the spotlight in 2009 with the DVD release of the band's documentary, "Oil City Confidential", a broad reference to their home-turf of Canvey Island.
And it's biographical events that will be featuring heavily in Johnson's calendar in 2012, when EMI will be issuing a Dr Feelgood box-set, Johnson's autobiography "Looking Back At Me" (written in association with Zoë Howe) gets published in the spring and Fender will be producing a limited run of a Stratocaster based on Johnson's 1962 model. But, there is a forward-thinking element to all of this - Wilko is working on a new album, some of which may rear its head during his lengthy 2012 tour.
First stop will be Buxton on 5th April, followed by Sale, Clitheroe, Newbury, Tavistock and many more until Bridport on the 29th. Tickets will be available here from Friday, priced at £17.50. Joining Wilko, Watt-Roy and Howe will be special guests, Virgil and the Accelerators.
- Thu 23rd Aug 2018 Wilko JohnsonLeadmill (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 Wilko JohnsonThe Civic Hall - Cottingham (East Riding of Yorkshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th Aug 2018 Wilko JohnsonThe Assembly (Leamington Spa)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Thu 12th Jul 2018 Dr FeelgoodGuildhall (Portsmouth)Buy Tickets
- Fri 3rd Aug 2018 Dr FeelgoodThe Marine Theatre - Lyme Regis (Dorset)Buy Tickets
- Sat 11th Aug 2018 Kubix Festival, Adam Ant, The Boomtown Rats, Fun Lovin' Crim...Herrington Country Park (Sunderland)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Oct 2018 Dr FeelgoodThe Globe (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Oct 2018 Dr FeelgoodThe Assembly (Leamington Spa)Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Oct 2018 The BlockheadsRiverside (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Oct 2018 Dr FeelgoodHarpenden Public Halls (Hertfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 19th Oct 2018 Dr FeelgoodThe Georgian Theatre/ Green Room (Stockton-on-Tees)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Nov 2018 Dr FeelgoodRobin (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Nov 2018 Dr FeelgoodKing Tut's (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 9th Nov 2018 The BlockheadsThe Globe (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Sat 10th Nov 2018 The BlockheadsThe Fleece (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 Dr Feelgood229 the venue - Great Portland Street (Marylebone)Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Nov 2018 Dr FeelgoodArts Centre (Norwich)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Nov 2018 Dr FeelgoodThe Rescue Rooms (Nottingham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 Dr FeelgoodRoadmender (Northampton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 Dr FeelgoodThekla (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sun 25th Nov 2018 Dr FeelgoodThe Ruby Lounge (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 7th Dec 2018 Dr FeelgoodThe Cambridge Junction (Cambridge)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 Dr FeelgoodThe Flowerpot (Derby)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Dr FeelgoodShire Hall (East Riding of Yorkshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Feb 2019 Dr FeelgoodThe Civic Hall - Cottingham (East Riding of Yorkshire)Buy Tickets