Wilko Johnson celebrates his own Feelgood factor with spring 2012 UK tour, book and box set
There's no denying it - Ian Dury and The Blockheads were a formidable force when it came to live shows. Naturally, being the band's frontman, Dury himself earned props for the vitality, verve and vigour achieved by a lyricist at the top of his game. Behind him though, a class live act powered their way through the classics such as "Hit Me with Your Rhythm Stick" and "What A Waste".
Meanwhile, a certain Wilko Johnson was winding up his relationship with blues-rockers, Dr Feelgood, and founding his own Wilko Johnson Band. By 1980, Dury and Johnson converged and the latter joined his crack bunch of Blockheads, with the fearsome guitarist contributing to the band's "Laughter" album, including the excellent, "Sueperman's Big Sister" (sic) single and continuing the Blockheads' live legacy, whilst also working with his own band.
Three decades later, the Blockheads connection continues with Johnson - his current sparring partners on stage are previous Dury stooges, bassist Norman Watt-Roy and drummer Dylan Howe, whilst his former career with Dr Feelgood came under the spotlight in 2009 with the DVD release of the band's documentary, "Oil City Confidential", a broad reference to their home-turf of Canvey Island.
And it's biographical events that will be featuring heavily in Johnson's calendar in 2012, when EMI will be issuing a Dr Feelgood box-set, Johnson's autobiography "Looking Back At Me" (written in association with Zoë Howe) gets published in the spring and Fender will be producing a limited run of a Stratocaster based on Johnson's 1962 model. But, there is a forward-thinking element to all of this - Wilko is working on a new album, some of which may rear its head during his lengthy 2012 tour.
First stop will be Buxton on 5th April, followed by Sale, Clitheroe, Newbury, Tavistock and many more until Bridport on the 29th. Tickets will be available here from Friday, priced at £17.50. Joining Wilko, Watt-Roy and Howe will be special guests, Virgil and the Accelerators.
- Thu 3rd May 2018 Wilko JohnsonBath Forum (Bath)Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th May 2018 Wilko Johnson, Hugh CornwellO2 Academy Oxford (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 5th May 2018 Wilko JohnsonUniversity of East Anglia [UEA]/ LCR (Norwich)Buy Tickets
- Thu 10th May 2018 Wilko JohnsonLeeds University Union [Stylus/ Pulse/ Mine] (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Fri 11th May 2018 Wilko Johnson, Hugh CornwellO2 ABC (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 12th May 2018 Wilko JohnsonManchester Academy (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 Wilko JohnsonThe Civic Hall - Cottingham (East Riding of Yorkshire)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 The BlockheadsRobin (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 1st Mar 2018 Dr FeelgoodKing Tut's (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Mar 2018 Dr FeelgoodThe Platform (Morecambe)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Mar 2018 The BlockheadsO2 Academy Oxford (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 10th Mar 2018 The BlockheadsO2 Academy Islington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Mar 2018 The BlockheadsEsquires (Bedford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 31st Mar 2018 Dr Feelgood, Climax Blues Band: 50th Anniversary TourNantwich Civic Hall (Cheshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 13th Apr 2018 Undercover Festival, The Blockheads, Eddie and the Hotrods, ...Dreamland (Margate)Buy Tickets
- Thu 12th Jul 2018 Dr FeelgoodGuildhall (Portsmouth)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Oct 2018 Dr FeelgoodThe Globe (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Oct 2018 Dr FeelgoodThe Assembly (Leamington Spa)Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Oct 2018 The BlockheadsRiverside (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Fri 19th Oct 2018 Dr FeelgoodThe Georgian Theatre/ Green Room (Stockton-on-Tees)Buy Tickets
- Fri 9th Nov 2018 The BlockheadsThe Globe (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Sat 10th Nov 2018 The BlockheadsThe Fleece (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 Dr Feelgood229 the venue - Great Portland Street (Marylebone)Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Nov 2018 Dr FeelgoodArts Centre (Norwich)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Nov 2018 Dr FeelgoodThe Rescue Rooms (Nottingham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 Dr FeelgoodRoadmender (Northampton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 Dr FeelgoodThekla (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sun 25th Nov 2018 Dr FeelgoodThe Ruby Lounge (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 7th Dec 2018 Dr FeelgoodThe Cambridge Junction (Cambridge)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 Dr FeelgoodThe Flowerpot (Derby)Buy Tickets