Melissa Etheridge for 'Fearless Love' 2012 UK/ Ireland tour - tickets: Friday 14th October
Melissa Etheridge is exactly the kind of artist who may still need some introduction for those unfamiliar with her work yet who, paradoxically, can never be justifiably introduced in just 300-or-so words.
Always more of an album artist than a writer of singles, the Kansas-born Etheridge has released 10 studio records since her self-titled 1988 debut. Most popular in the US and Europe (notably Germany and the Netherlands), all of her albums released in those territories have made the Top 40 at least. More commonly they have broken the Top 20, or better, and turned many times Platinum in the process.
She has survived breast cancer, won an Oscar (for her song 'I Need To Wake Up' from the Al Gore documentary 'An Inconvenient Truth'), picked up a couple of Grammy awards and become a staunch supporter of lesbian and gay rights (she came out in 1993). In 2008, and as a California resident, Etheridge threatened not to pay her state taxes in objection to the Golden State passing 'Proposition 8', which banned same-sex marriage.
Her fourth album, 'Yes, I Am', was released the year she revealed she was gay and the title is widely believed to relate to her proud, somewhat defiant, coming out after long-term rumours about her private life. 'Yes, I Am' went on to become her most successful record to date, selling more than six million copies.
The UK and Ireland dates are the first of the European leg of her Fearless Love Tour. The 'Fearless Love' album, her tenth, may have been released more than a year ago, but Etheridge is continuing to tour the record (one of her most successful) around the world.
Melissa Etheridge kicks off her tour in Ireland at Dublin's Olympia Theatre on Tuesday 14th February moving on to gigs at the Manchester Academy 2 and then the Shepherds Bush Empire, before the final date of the short run in Brighton on Sunday 19th February.
We will have tickets for all dates when they go on sale at 9AM on Friday 14th October, priced £35 for London, £30 for Manchester and Brighton and from around €40 for Dublin.
You may be interested in
- Sun 27th May 2018 Bearded Theory Festival, Jimmy Cliff, Jake Bugg, Dub Pistols...Catton Hall Park (Derbyshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 30th Jun 2018 Love Supreme Festival, Elvis Costello, Pharoah Sanders, Leve...Glynde Place (Lewes)Buy Tickets
- Thu 5th Jul 2018 Innervisions Festival, Jimmy CliffRoundhouse (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Jul 2018 Mostly Jazz, Funk and Soul Festival, Jimmy Cliff, The Jungle...Moseley Park (Moseley)Buy Tickets
- Fri 20th Jul 2018 Jimmy Cliff, Grandmaster FlashLloyd's Amphitheatre (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Mon 23rd Jul 2018 The Summer Series Dublin, Grace JonesTrinity College Park (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Tue 24th Jul 2018 and Wed 25th Jul 2018 Sly & Robbie, Nils Petter MolvaerBuy Tickets
- Wed 8th Aug 2018 Summer Nights at the Bandstand, Jimmy CliffKelvingrove Park (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Tue 2nd Oct 2018 to Thu 25th Oct 2018 Level 42, The Blow Monkeys: EternityBuy Tickets