McFly announce 2012 'Up Close and Personal' tour - tickets: 3rd December
Busted used to get a lot of people very excited. In 2004, they offered a leg-up to a band who reminded the trio of themselves; a young pop-rock outfit trying to differentiate their music from the sea of vocal boy bands flooding the reception areas of record companies everywhere.
McFly sounded a bit like Busted, largely because one of the 'Busted writing team', Tom Fletcher, was, along with Danny Jones, the creative force behind McFly. When Busted bust, just two albums in to a promising career, McFly seemed a ready-made replacement.
Turns out that McFly were much better than Busted. Jones and Fletcher honed their songwriting skills and developed a maturing poppy-rock sound that dissenters found hard to dislike. Writing your own songs and playing actual instruments sums up the conventional, if romantic, notion of a pop band pretty well and while McFly have never made an impact in punk or rock circles, the self-confessed, self-obsessed musos were happy to let Danny, Tom, Dougie and Harry do their own thing without boiling up and pouring too much scorn.
Not that it would have made any difference. McFly have been a phenomenal success and it doesn't really matter what @Metal_Angel82 from Swansea thinks. McFly have sold the thick end of 10 million albums. Their first two LPs topped the charts, as have seven singles (another 10 made the Top 10).
Last year's fifth album, 'Above the Noise', was another hit and precipitated a sold-out 2011 tour. McFly are returning in 2012 with an 'Up Close and Personal' tour to play a long list of smaller and medium-size venues as they work on a sixth record.
They kick-off the huge spring tour on 7th March in Portsmouth, stopping off at Manchester, Oxford, Nottingham, Leeds, Bristol, Birmingham, London (Hammersmith Apollo) and many more, before the final date in Leicester on 15th April.
Note that any youngsters under 14 years old will need to be accompanied by an adult.
We will have tickets for all dates when they go on sale at 9AM on Saturday 3rd December 2011 [moved back a week from the original on-sale date - Ed], so stick a reminder in your phone and bookmark this page so that you don't miss out.
Until then, you can catch drummer Harry Judd dancing up a storm on BBC's Strictly Come Dancing with dance partner Aliona Vilani.
Update: Tickets selling fast!
Well, after months of waiting, McFly tickets finally went on sale this morning (Saturday, 3rd December), and they have been, erm, McFlying! Tickets for Portsmouth, Manchester, Oxford, Nottingham, Southampton, Torquay, Bristol, Lincoln, Norwich, Southend, Reading, Cambridge and Newcastle have now sold out, with other dates now close to being sold out (especially Birmingham!).
We'll keep you posted if any more dates are added.
You may be interested in
- Thu 20th Dec 2018 and Thu 27th Dec 2018 Christmas with: East 17Buy Tickets
- Mon 24th Dec 2018 Xmas EventThe Pink Toothbrush - Rayleigh (Essex)Buy Tickets
- Thu 27th Dec 2018 Xmas Event, Whitesnake UKO2 Academy Newcastle (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Sun 20th Jan 2019 to Sat 16th Feb 2019 BoyzoneBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th Jan 2019 FiveClapham Grand (Clapham)Buy Tickets
- Tue 29th Jan 2019 to Sun 3rd Feb 2019 'A'Buy Tickets
- Thu 7th Feb 2019 to Sun 2nd Jun 2019 Rip It UpBuy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Mar 2019 to Sat 30th Mar 2019 Busted: Half Way ThereBuy Tickets
- Sun 24th Mar 2019 CNCOO2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Thu 28th Mar 2019 Teenage Cancer Trust, Take ThatRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Apr 2019 to Sun 7th Apr 2019 Boyz II MenBuy Tickets
- Fri 12th Apr 2019 to Sat 8th Jun 2019 Take That, Rick AstleyBuy Tickets
- Sat 27th Apr 2019 to Sat 1st Jun 2019 The Vamps: Four CornersBuy Tickets
- Wed 22nd May 2019 to Sat 6th Jul 2019 WestlifeBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th May 2019 Birmingham Classical, Scottish Chamber Orchestra, Nicola Ben...Birmingham Town Hall (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Mon 10th Jun 2019 to Tue 18th Jun 2019 Backstreet BoysBuy Tickets
- Tue 29th Oct 2019 to Wed 6th Nov 2019 a-ha: Hunting High and LowBuy Tickets