McFly announce 2012 'Up Close and Personal' tour - tickets: 3rd December
Posted: 10th October 2011
Busted used to get a lot of people very excited. In 2004, they offered a leg-up to a band who reminded the trio of themselves; a young pop-rock outfit trying to differentiate their music from the sea of vocal boy bands flooding the reception areas of record companies everywhere.
McFly sounded a bit like Busted, largely because one of the 'Busted writing team', Tom Fletcher, was, along with Danny Jones, the creative force behind McFly. When Busted bust, just two albums in to a promising career, McFly seemed a ready-made replacement.
Turns out that McFly were much better than Busted. Jones and Fletcher honed their songwriting skills and developed a maturing poppy-rock sound that dissenters found hard to dislike. Writing your own songs and playing actual instruments sums up the conventional, if romantic, notion of a pop band pretty well and while McFly have never made an impact in punk or rock circles, the self-confessed, self-obsessed musos were happy to let Danny, Tom, Dougie and Harry do their own thing without boiling up and pouring too much scorn.
Not that it would have made any difference. McFly have been a phenomenal success and it doesn't really matter what @Metal_Angel82 from Swansea thinks. McFly have sold the thick end of 10 million albums. Their first two LPs topped the charts, as have seven singles (another 10 made the Top 10).
Last year's fifth album, 'Above the Noise', was another hit and precipitated a sold-out 2011 tour. McFly are returning in 2012 with an 'Up Close and Personal' tour to play a long list of smaller and medium-size venues as they work on a sixth record.
They kick-off the huge spring tour on 7th March in Portsmouth, stopping off at Manchester, Oxford, Nottingham, Leeds, Bristol, Birmingham, London (Hammersmith Apollo) and many more, before the final date in Leicester on 15th April.
Note that any youngsters under 14 years old will need to be accompanied by an adult.
We will have tickets for all dates when they go on sale at 9AM on Saturday 3rd December 2011 [moved back a week from the original on-sale date - Ed], so stick a reminder in your phone and bookmark this page so that you don't miss out.
Until then, you can catch drummer Harry Judd dancing up a storm on BBC's Strictly Come Dancing with dance partner Aliona Vilani.
Update: Tickets selling fast!
Well, after months of waiting, McFly tickets finally went on sale this morning (Saturday, 3rd December), and they have been, erm, McFlying! Tickets for Portsmouth, Manchester, Oxford, Nottingham, Southampton, Torquay, Bristol, Lincoln, Norwich, Southend, Reading, Cambridge and Newcastle have now sold out, with other dates now close to being sold out (especially Birmingham!).
We'll keep you posted if any more dates are added.
- Mon 10th May 2021 McFly M & S Bank Arena [Formerly Echo] (Liverpool) Buy Tickets
- Tue 11th May 2021 McFly SSE Hydro (Glasgow) Buy Tickets
- Wed 12th May 2021 McFly Utilita Arena (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th May 2021 McFly Motorpoint Arena (Nottingham) Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th May 2021 McFly First Direct Arena (Leeds) Buy Tickets
- Sun 16th May 2021 McFly AO Arena (formerly Manchester Arena) (Manchester) Buy Tickets
- Tue 18th May 2021 McFly Resorts World Arena/ NEC Arena (Birmingham) Buy Tickets
- Wed 19th May 2021 McFly Brighton Centre (Brighton) Buy Tickets
- Fri 21st May 2021 McFly Wembley SSE Arena (Wembley) Buy Tickets
- Sun 23rd May 2021 McFly Bournemouth International Centre BIC (Bournemouth) Buy Tickets
- Mon 24th May 2021 McFly Motorpoint Arena (Cardiff) Buy Tickets
- Sat 31st Jul 2021 McFly, Scouting for Girls, Chapter 13, Eliza and the Bear, Lauran Hibberd Garon Park (Southend) Buy Tickets
- Sat 28th Aug 2021 The Jockey Club Live, McFly Newmarket Racecourse (Newmarket) Buy Tickets