Reflections in the Royal Albert Hall - The Cure to perform triple album show in November 2011
Crawley in West Sussex - not the most musically-thrilling town in England, it has to be said. The late Simon Jeffes of Penguin Café Orchestra fame was born there and numerous members of The Feeling went to school in the town but, apart from Robert Smith, Michael Dempsey and Lol Tulhurst striking up a musical friendship during the mid-'70s, you're more likely to head out of town to see live music in Brighton or London, than hang around waiting for the next big thing.
Which is a shame because, as big names go, The Cure were, in the '80s and '90s, a pretty good provincially-created flag to wave in people's faces, when they chose to slag the town off. Let's just say that Smith's charges didn't inspire many other kids to pick up instruments and sing in support of the place. Besides, Robert Smith and co were too busy having heavily made-up guys and gals fall at their feet, choosing to emulate their idols with spikey, wirey black hair and THE tightest drainpipe trousers ever.
With their Bestival appearance out of the way, The Cure's next intriguing show at the Royal Albert Hall on 15th November promises to be a special evening. The band will be reviewing their first three albums in their entirety (with added 'encore favourites' for good measure), neatly divided into sets and promising over two hours of top-notch music in wonderful Gloom-a-scope©. Tickets are on sale from Friday, priced from £20 to (cough) £150 (which, for that money, should involve Robert Smith making you a cocktail and reading a bedtime story!). Whatever you pay, the experience will be unforgettable, due mainly to their choice of playlist.
Their first two albums, "Three Imaginary Boys" and "Seventeen Seconds" and the accompanying non-album singles contained shorter, more satirical songs, particularly on the literary Albert Camus-inspired "Killing an Arab" and near-pop sparkler, "Boy's Don't Cry". But darker efforts such as "A Forest" and "At Night", both from "Seventeen Seconds", pointed the way forward to their (eventually) very large (global) audience.
Indeed, before the pop-froth of "The Lovecats" and "Close to Me", you had the darkness. Put it this way - if you feel elated after listening to third album "Faith", you are clearly a Cure fan and clearly in need of a cuddle - it makes Joy Division's "Closer" sound like a Ministry of Sound album, such is its dour lustre and depressed mood. It's also rather excellent, of course. The last album set will also feature original drummer Lol Tolhurst on percussion and keys. Enjoy!
You may be interested in
- Sat 21st Jul 2018 to Sun 29th Jul 2018 Del AmitriBuy Tickets
- Sat 21st Jul 2018 Walking On CarsFestival Big Top (Galway)Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Jul 2018 to Wed 25th Jul 2018 The Gaslight Anthem, The Flatliners, Matthew Ryan: 59 SoundBuy Tickets
- Sat 21st Jul 2018 Kaleidoscope Festival, The Flaming Lips, Ghostpoet, Mystery ...Alexandra Palace (London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Jul 2018 Tramlines Festival, Noel Gallagher's High Flying BirdsHillsborough Park (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Jul 2018 to Wed 25th Jul 2018 Ministry, Chelsea WolfeBuy Tickets
- Sat 21st Jul 2018 Tramlines @ Plug: JAWS, Estrons, Cassia, Larkins, Glass Caves, Giant RooksThe Plug (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Jul 2018 SpizzenergiDublin Castle (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Jul 2018 The WeeksThe Night and Day Cafe (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Jul 2018 AIRWAYSVoodoo Lounge (Mama Liz's) (Stamford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Jul 2018 PhobophobesWindmill (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Sun 22nd Jul 2018 The xx, Baxter Dury, Lee Fields and the Expressions, Sevdali...Parque das Nacoes (Lisbon)Buy Tickets
- Sun 22nd Jul 2018 Tramlines Festival, Craig David, Blossoms, De La Soul, Jake ...Hillsborough Park (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Sun 22nd Jul 2018 The Stunning, The AcademicFestival Big Top (Galway)Buy Tickets
- Sun 22nd Jul 2018 Paul Young, Happy Mondays, The Bluetones, Boomtown Rats [Gar...Jimmy's Farm (Ipswich)Buy Tickets
- Sun 22nd Jul 2018 to Thu 2nd Aug 2018 The Wedding PresentBuy Tickets
- Mon 23rd Jul 2018 The Summer Series Dublin, Grace JonesTrinity College Park (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Mon 23rd Jul 2018 to Thu 26th Jul 2018 The Flaming LipsBuy Tickets
- Tue 24th Jul 2018 Portugal. The ManO2 Forum (Kentish Town)Buy Tickets
- Tue 24th Jul 2018 to Thu 26th Jul 2018 Goo Goo DollsBuy Tickets
- Tue 24th Jul 2018 to Mon 30th Jul 2018 Natalie MerchantBuy Tickets
- Tue 24th Jul 2018 to Sat 11th Aug 2018 No Hot Ashes [Manchester]Buy Tickets
- Tue 24th Jul 2018 RedFacesSebright Arms (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Wed 25th Jul 2018 to Sat 28th Jul 2018 Pet Shop Boys: Inner SanctumBuy Tickets
- Thu 26th Jul 2018 and Mon 30th Jul 2018 Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Queen KwongBuy Tickets
- Thu 26th Jul 2018 and Fri 27th Jul 2018 Grandmaster FlashBuy Tickets
- Thu 26th Jul 2018 White LiesSubterania (London)More Info..
- Fri 27th Jul 2018 Standon Calling, Paloma Faith, Django Django, The Amazons, M...Standon (Hertfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 27th Jul 2018 Y Not Festival, The Libertines, Manic Street Preachers, Kuru...Aston Hill Farm (Matlock)Buy Tickets
- Fri 27th Jul 2018 to Sat 18th Aug 2018 The KutBuy Tickets
- Sat 28th Jul 2018 Wonk UnitBoston Arms/ The Dome - Tufnell Park (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 28th Jul 2018 Standon Calling, George Ezra, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, M...Standon (Hertfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 28th Jul 2018 Mallory Knox, Black Peaks, Hacktivist, Area 11, Carcer City,...The Lanes (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sat 28th Jul 2018 Y Not Festival, Catfish and the Bottlemen, Kaiser Chiefs, Se...Aston Hill Farm (Matlock)Buy Tickets
- Sat 28th Jul 2018 King Tut's Summer Nights, VistasKing Tut's (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sun 29th Jul 2018 Catfish and the BottlemenCardiff Castle (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Sun 29th Jul 2018 Standon Calling, Bryan Ferry, Goldfrapp, The Horrors, Gaz Co...Standon (Hertfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 29th Jul 2018 Catfish and the Bottlemen, The Libertines, Run DMC, Hacienda...Lowther Deer Park - Lowther Castle (Penrith)Buy Tickets
- Sun 29th Jul 2018 Y Not Festival, Jamiroquai, The Wombats, Levellers, The Go! ...Aston Hill Farm (Matlock)Buy Tickets
- Sun 29th Jul 2018 to Thu 23rd Aug 2018 We Are ScientistsBuy Tickets
- Tue 31st Jul 2018 to Fri 10th Aug 2018 Iron Maiden, Killswitch Engage: Legacy of the BeastBuy Tickets
- Wed 1st Aug 2018 to Sat 18th Aug 2018 George EzraBuy Tickets
- Wed 1st Aug 2018 to Thu 9th Aug 2018 Black Foxxes: AcousticBuy Tickets
- Wed 1st Aug 2018 to Fri 10th Aug 2018 The Fatback BandBuy Tickets
- Wed 1st Aug 2018 Ducking PunchesThe Joiners (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Wed 1st Aug 2018 TiffanyConcorde 2 (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 2nd Aug 2018 Palace, Chic, My Baby, Mahalia, Kamasi Washington, Joy Crook...Cornbury Park (Chipping Norton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 3rd Aug 2018 Summer Nights at the Bandstand, OMDKelvingrove Park (Glasgow)More Info..
- Fri 3rd Aug 2018 All Together Now, Fleet FoxesCurraghmore House (Waterford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 4th Aug 2018 Bananarama, Sara CoxMillennium Square (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sun 5th Aug 2018 CowtownSoup Kitchen (Manchester)Buy Tickets