The Spaghetti Western Orchestra riding out on 2012 tour - tickets available now
Just as today's youngsters are growing up with Ben 10 and the Nintendo Wii, and with footballers as their idols, it wasn't that long ago that playgrounds were filled with 'cowboys and Indians', kapowing pistols at each other and heading the baddies off at the pass.
Their heroes were James Coburn, Clint Eastwood, Yul Brynner and Lee Marvin; the stars of an unparalleled group of films that stylishly delivered the thrills, spills and sounds of the American Wild West into living rooms up and down the nation, via the Spaghetti Western.
Sergio Leone's Westerns bore some of the hallmarks of sixties' Italian cinema (hence 'spaghetti') and the spell was completed with the memorable, swooping, panoramic scores of Ennio Morricone. Films like 'A Fistful of Dollars' and 'The Good, the Bad and the Ugly' cemented Leone's reputation as an auteur and stirred strong feelings of manly, cowboy love for the genre that lives on today.
The Spaghetti Western Orchestra is a quintet of musicians that deploy up to a hundred instruments to perform some of Morricone's classic themes, supplementing the performances with Western sound effects and no little humour.
The Orchestra is very popular; its reputation enhanced by a recent performance at the Royal Albert Hall as part of the BBC Proms. First formed in 2004, the current show was devised in 2007 and has toured the world, playing to full houses and thrilling audiences from Sydney to Montreal.
The Spaghetti Western Orchestra is embarking on a UK and Ireland tour in early 2012. Kicking off at the Theatre Royal Brighton on 7th February, the tour heads to Oxford, York, Salford, Dublin, Cardiff, Liverpool, Glasgow and many more, before the final show of the run in Inverness on 17th March 2012.
Ahead of the tour, there are also a handful of dates in January at London's Southbank Centre, beginning on 5th January.
We have tickets available now for most venues, priced generally £16 - £25 and around €25 for Ireland dates. Note also that some venues may offer more than one performance a day.
As yet, no dates have been announced for Tombstone or the OK Corral, but there's still time.
You may be interested in
- Mon 12th Nov 2018 Mae MartinSoho Theatre/ Studio (Soho)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 to Sat 13th Apr 2019 Rich Hall: Rich Hall's HoedownBuy Tickets
- Thu 15th Nov 2018 to Fri 22nd Mar 2019 David O'DohertyBuy Tickets
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 to Fri 17th May 2019 Macc LadsBuy Tickets
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 and Mon 19th Nov 2018 Tom AdamsBuy Tickets
- Sat 17th Nov 2018 to Sat 24th Nov 2018 The DollsBuy Tickets
- Sat 17th Nov 2018 to Sat 13th Apr 2019 The Lancashire HotpotsBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Nov 2018 to Sun 10th Feb 2019 Adam KayBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 to Sat 2nd Feb 2019 AbandomanBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 to Sun 17th Feb 2019 Phil NicholBuy Tickets
- Sun 25th Nov 2018 and Fri 25th Jan 2019 Graham FellowsBuy Tickets
- Mon 26th Nov 2018 and Fri 15th Feb 2019 Ennio MorriconeBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 Steve Gribbin, Sam Avery, Brendan RileyThe Bentley (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 and Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Mik Artistik's Ego TripBuy Tickets
- Mon 3rd Dec 2018 to Mon 17th Jun 2019 Bill BaileyBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Dec 2018 James Acaster, Mae Martin, Ed Gamble, Simon MunneryBloomsbury Theatre (Bloomsbury)Buy Tickets
- Mon 17th Dec 2018 Frisky and MannishThe Spiegeltent (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Thu 27th Dec 2018 The RubberbanditsDolan's Pub/ Warehouse/ Restaurant (Limerick)Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th Jan 2019 Jonny AwsumThe Arts Centre (Essex)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Jan 2019 Gavin OsbornFrenchay Village Hall (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sun 20th Jan 2019 to Sun 3rd Feb 2019 The 2 Johnnies: Kids ShowOn SaleWed 14th Novat 9am
- Fri 1st Feb 2019 to Thu 18th Apr 2019 Andrew LawrenceBuy Tickets
- Mon 18th Feb 2019 Vikki StoneThe Cookie (Leicester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Mar 2019 to Sun 7th Apr 2019 Rachel ParrisBuy Tickets
- Sun 14th Apr 2019 to Thu 18th Apr 2019 Demetri Martin: Wandering MindBuy Tickets
- Sat 27th Apr 2019 Scotland Calling, The Exploited, Slaughter and the Dogs, Mac...O2 Academy Glasgow (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Tue 15th Oct 2019 to Sat 30th Nov 2019 Tim Minchin: BackBuy Tickets
- Thu 17th Oct 2019 And In The End...: The Bootleg Beatles, Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra,...Royal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets