The Drifters are saving the last dance for you - 2011/12 dates on sale now
Down the years, The Drifters have become a little like Trigger's broom in 'Only Fools and Horses'. Famously, Trigger was given an award from the council for the careful custodianship of his roadsweeper's broom, which he had been using for 20 years.
Later, Trigger reveals that his long serving broom had, in that time, had '17 new heads and 14 new handles' but was 'still the same broom' (if that messes with your head, draw the curtains and look up the Theseus Paradox).
Although this is nothing when compared with The Drifters. Originally formed in New York city as Clyde McPhatter's backing group in 1953, the original, or 'classic', Drifters lasted (with several line-up changes) until 1958 when, after a typically fractious few weeks, manager George Treadwell fired the whole group.
With a year of bookings already secured and needing to be fulfilled , Treadwell assembled 'The New Drifters', including Ben E King, and embarked on what most consider to be the group's golden age. More than 50 years on, in one form or another, The Drifters have clocked up 60 different members. The current line-up of Michael Williams, Damion Charles, Ryan King and Carlton Powell are still the 'Treadwell Drifters', with the late George Treadwell's daughter Tina the UK holder of the name.
What has never been in dispute is the incomparable back catalogue of soul classics that include monster tracks like 'Saturday Night at the Movies', 'Kissing in the Back Row', 'Save the Last Dance For Me', 'Under the Boardwalk', 'There Goes My First Love', 'Come On Over To My Place' and many more. Each one a karaoke classic and each contributing to global single sales in excess of 200 million.
The Drifters continue to perform prolifically and have announced gigs up to October 2012, such is the demand to see them.
We have tickets available now for many of the shows across the UK and Ireland, starting in Dudley on Saturday 1st October and, more than 40 gigs and 12 months later, ending up in Stoke-on-Trent on 18th October 2012.
Ticket prices vary but generally start at around £25.
- Thu 19th Apr 2018 The DriftersRoyal Hippodrome Theatre (Eastbourne)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Jun 2018 The DriftersWhitley Bay Playhouse (Whitley Bay)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Jun 2018 The DriftersPrincess Theatre (Torquay)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 The DriftersExeter Corn Exchange (St George's Hall) (Exeter)Buy Tickets
- Fri 13th Jul 2018 The DriftersThe Southport Theatre and Convention Centre (Southport)Buy Tickets
- Tue 7th Aug 2018 The DriftersTheatre Royal (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 23rd Aug 2018 The DriftersGrand Opera House (York)Buy Tickets
- Wed 26th Sep 2018 The DriftersVictoria Hall (Stoke-on-Trent)Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Oct 2018 The DriftersLeas Cliff Hall (Folkestone)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 to Wed 12th Sep 2018 Chicago Blues BrothersBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Mar 2018 and Sat 28th Apr 2018 Northern Soul EventBuy Tickets
- Sat 10th Mar 2018 and Sat 17th Mar 2018 Roy G HemmingsBuy Tickets
- Thu 15th Mar 2018 to Sun 18th Mar 2018 Sister Sledge, Tavares, Rose Royce, Boney M, The Real Thing,...: 40 Years of DiscoBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Mar 2018 Teenage Cancer Trust, Nile Rodgers, ChicRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Apr 2018 to Sat 29th Sep 2018 Elkie BrooksBuy Tickets
- Fri 8th Jun 2018 to Sun 10th Jun 2018 Stand By MeBuy Tickets
- Thu 14th Jun 2018 Nocturne Live, Chic, Nile Rodgers, Soul II SoulBlenheim Palace (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Jun 2018 to Fri 10th Aug 2018 Nile Rodgers, ChicBuy Tickets
- Wed 27th Jun 2018 Sounds of the City, Chic, Nile RodgersCastlefield Bowl (Castlefield)Buy Tickets
- Wed 27th Jun 2018 The Rhythm KingsHarpenden Public Halls (Hertfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 13th Jul 2018 Sister Sledge, Manchester CamerataVictoria Warehouse (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Jul 2018 Sister SledgeBraehead Arena (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Jul 2018 Lytham Festival, Chic, Nile Rodgers, Soul II SoulLytham Green (Lancashire)Buy Tickets
- Thu 9th Aug 2018 Summer Nights at the Bandstand, Van MorrisonKelvingrove Park (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 31st Aug 2018 Heritage Live Summer Concerts, Van Morrison, The Waterboys, ...Wrest Park - Silsoe (Bedfordshire)On SaleFri 23rd Febat 9am
- Sun 18th Nov 2018 and Wed 21st Nov 2018 The Four TopsBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 to Thu 29th Nov 2018 The Four Tops, The TemptationsBuy Tickets