Release the Dogs - The Dogs D'amour announce winter 2011 UK shows
In 1990, in middle England, a war was raging in Mr Tomblin's chemistry class. We may have been the lower of two sets and not known quite enough about ionisation energies to get through our A level, but we knew our music.
At least we thought we did. That we would often be told off for bickering about who was best, The Mission or The Dogs D'amour, perhaps suggests otherwise. Admittedly, there may even have been one or two in the set who were oblivious to this unseemly and all-consuming conflict, such as Mr Tomblin himself (plainly a U2 fan).
Anyway, Melody Makers and NMEs were cut up and copydexed onto our folders with our latest musical heroes, The Mission's Wayne Hussey and the Dogs' frontman and founder Tyla, taking pride of place.
In the short term, folder sabotage and one lad dropping chemistry altogether meant that The Mission prevailed. Too many years later, it turns out that neither The Mission nor the Dogs D'Amour, not even The Quireboys, changed the world. But, thankfully, all three are still eking-out careers reliving the glory days of Mr Tomblin's War.
The Dogs D'Amour have even put out new material in recent times. Led by the band's only ever-present, Tyla, the Dogs released 'When Bastards Go To Hell' in 2004 and 'Let Sleeping Dogs...' (named after the Mission song?) a year later. The records were, in truth, more or less solo outings for Tyla under the Dogs name.
The band continues to tour, and their brand of dark, glam British hair rock continues to find an audience, even if the band no longer divides sixth form chemistry classes.
The Dogs D'Amour are playing the Islington Academy on 4th December, followed by Oxford, Liverpool, Newcastle and the Birmingham Academies.
We will have tickets for all shows when they go on sale at 9AM on Monday 26th September priced £12, except London which will cost £14.
Ahead of that, the Dogs D'Amour play The Corporation in Sheffield on 26th November - we have tickets available now for £12.
For the record, I got an 'n' in my chemistry A level, which was still better than I did in maths.
- Sat 8th Dec 2018 The Dogs D'amourThe Fulford Arms (York)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 The QuireboysSub89 (Reading)Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Nov 2018 The QuireboysThe Globe (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 The QuireboysLivewire Youth Music (Saltash)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 The QuireboysLemon Grove (Exeter University) (Exeter)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 The QuireboysLittle Civic/ Slade Rooms (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 29th Nov 2018 The QuireboysThe Waterloo (Blackpool)Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 The QuireboysQueens Hall (Nuneaton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 6th Dec 2018 The QuireboysThe Classic Grand (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 7th Dec 2018 The QuireboysThink Tank [Digital] (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Sun 9th Dec 2018 The QuireboysLevel 3 (formerly the Furnace) (Swindon)Buy Tickets
- Thu 13th Dec 2018 The QuireboysWaterfront (Norwich)Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Dec 2018 The QuireboysDuffy's (Leicester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 The QuireboysThe Craufurd Arms (Wolverton)Buy Tickets
- Sun 16th Dec 2018 The QuireboysThe Live Rooms [formerly Central Station] (Wrexham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 21st Dec 2018 The QuireboysThe Joiners (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Dec 2018 The QuireboysThe Corporation (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Dec 2018 The QuireboysThe Fleece (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th Jan 2019 The QuireboysDiamond Bar (Ballymena)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Apr 2019 The QuireboysTivoli Nightclub - Buckley (Flintshire)Buy Tickets