Michael Frayn's Noises Off hits the Old Vic in December 2011 - tickets available now
Those two great pillars of post-war British theatre, the play-within-a-play and the bawdy sex comedy, are married perfectly in Michael Frayn's classic modern farce, Noises Off.
Rich with theatrical stereotypes and double-entendres, the idea for Noises Off was supposedly formulated when Frayn was watching one of his own plays in 1970. Observing that the play was funnier from the wings than from the floor, Frayn hinted at the nudge-nudge wink-wink farce to come when he said: "It was funnier from behind than in front and I thought that one day I must write a farce from behind." Oo-er.
The result was the expertly conceived and frequently updated Noises Off, the tale of a theatre company taking their terrible sex comedy 'Nothing On' through its stage debut and early performances. If 'Nothing On' is cheeky seventies pants-down pantomime nonsense, Noises Off is its irresistible, hilarious alter ego, itself rich in slapstick and farce and a hit with audiences everywhere.
Seemingly a very British affair, Noises Off also proved a hit on Broadway where it transferred in 1983 after premiering in London a year earlier. The Broadway run extended to over 500 performances and earned the production a Tony award for Best Play. Another Tony (for Katie Finneran as Best Featured Actress) followed the 2001 Broadway revival.
Noises Off was also made into a film in 1992, featuring Sir Michael Caine and directed by Peter Bogdanovich. It did not translate well to the screen and the movie proved to be more of a Nothing On than a Noises Off, and flopped biblically.
The love for the stage version has never waned however and Lindsay Posner directs a new production of Michael Frayn's classic backstage comedy, which opens at the West End's beloved Old Vic later this year.
The new production of Noises Off is at the Old Vic from Saturday 3rd December, now booking to 25th February 2012.
We have tickets available now for all dates, priced from £27.50 (£22.50 for previews - until Monday 12th December), rising to £49.50 for the best stalls (previews £44.50).
- Fri 28th Jun 2019 to Fri 26th Jul 2019 Noises OffLyric Theatre (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Wed 19th Jun 2019 to Tue 17th Sep 2019 The Play That Goes WrongBuy Tickets
- Wed 19th Jun 2019 to Mon 16th Sep 2019 Only Fools And Horses - The MusicalBuy Tickets
- Wed 19th Jun 2019 to Tue 17th Sep 2019 The Comedy About a Bank RobberyBuy Tickets
- Wed 19th Jun 2019 to Sat 14th Sep 2019 The Book of MormonBuy Tickets
- Wed 19th Jun 2019 to Fri 28th Jun 2019 Hormonal HousewivesBuy Tickets
- Wed 19th Jun 2019 to Sat 29th Jun 2019 Education, Education, EducationBuy Tickets
- Thu 20th Jun 2019 to Sat 22nd Jun 2019 Entertaining AngelsBuy Tickets
- Fri 21st Jun 2019 to Sun 7th Jul 2019 Mrs Brown's Boys D'Musical?Buy Tickets
- Tue 25th Jun 2019 to Sat 3rd Aug 2019 Dark SublimeBuy Tickets
- Wed 26th Jun 2019 to Sat 29th Jun 2019 The Addams FamilyBuy Tickets
- Thu 27th Jun 2019 to Thu 25th Jul 2019 National Theatre LiveBuy Tickets
- Fri 28th Jun 2019 and Fri 26th Jul 2019 Lord of the Game of the Ring of ThronesBuy Tickets
- Fri 5th Jul 2019 The Truth [play], The LambrettasThe Corporation Club Hartlepool (Hartlepool)Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Jul 2019 Mortified LiveLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Jul 2019 to Sat 24th Aug 2019 Early Doors LiveBuy Tickets
- Mon 29th Jul 2019 to Sat 3rd Aug 2019 Stones in his PocketsBuy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Aug 2019 Birds of a FeatherResorts World Arena/ NEC Arena (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Wed 4th Sep 2019 to Sat 14th Sep 2019 Boeing BoeingBuy Tickets