Get a Grip on yourselves - The Stranglers announce March 2012 UK tour - tickets on sale Friday 23rd Sep
Posted: 20th September 2011
September the 11th means many things to many people and, whilst not wishing to belittle what it means, its significance possibly rings different memory-bells for The Stranglers. For it was in 1974 on that date, the band registered their name and 'opened for business'.
The Guildford group have, in four decades, sailed the choppy seas of punk-rock and controversy, surfed the foamy waves of mainstream success and, bar the departure of founding vocalist Hugh Cornwell in 1990, have kept their ranks in a ship-shape state. The Stranglers are an institution.
With the possibility of new material on the horizon (it will be six years since 2006's "Suite XVI"), the band still have an incredible back-catalogue to fall back on. Their first four albums, from "Rattus Norvegicus" to "The Raven", stand up as prime examples of stroppy Brit-wave, packed full of gems such as "Peaches", "Get a Grip", "Something Better Change", "No More Heroes" and "Duchess", whilst their poppier '80s period spawned more rewards with the huge harpsichord-friendly hymn, "Golden Brown" and "Strange Little Girl".
Despite the hits drying up, The Stranglers can still shift albums and tickets to some considerable degree, a situation that will become a little more frenetic now that messrs Warne, Greenfield, Burnel and Black have announced another UK tour.
First stop is Leeds on 1st March, followed by several large towns and cities, including a rare homecoming headlining show in Guildford on the 20th and the final show in Manchester on the 24th. Their London show will be at the historic Roundhouse venue on the 9th. Support on the tour comes in the shape of The Popes and Mike Marlin.
Tickets will go on sale this Friday, priced around £23 (£26 for London).
- Mon 29th Mar 2021 The Stranglers The Engine Shed/ Platform (university of Lincoln) (Lincoln) Buy Tickets
- Tue 30th Mar 2021 The Stranglers Victoria Hall (Stoke-on-Trent) Buy Tickets
- Thu 1st Apr 2021 The Stranglers O2 Academy Glasgow (Glasgow) Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Apr 2021 The Stranglers O2 Academy Glasgow (Glasgow) Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Apr 2021 The Stranglers Music Hall (Aberdeen) Buy Tickets
- Mon 5th Apr 2021 The Stranglers Guildhall (Portsmouth) Buy Tickets
- Tue 6th Apr 2021 The Stranglers O2 Academy (Bristol) Buy Tickets
- Thu 8th Apr 2021 The Stranglers O2 Academy Newcastle (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) Buy Tickets
- Fri 9th Apr 2021 The Stranglers O2 Apollo (Manchester) Buy Tickets
- Sat 10th Apr 2021 The Stranglers O2 Academy Birmingham (Birmingham) Buy Tickets
- Mon 12th Apr 2021 The Stranglers Cliffs Pavilion (Southend) Buy Tickets
- Tue 13th Apr 2021 The Stranglers G-Live (Guildford) Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Apr 2021 The Stranglers Brighton Dome/ Concert Hall (Brighton) Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Apr 2021 The Stranglers O2 Academy Brixton (Brixton) Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Apr 2021 The Stranglers O2 Academy Brixton (Brixton) Buy Tickets
- Mon 19th Apr 2021 The Stranglers University of East Anglia [UEA]/ LCR (Norwich) Buy Tickets
- Tue 20th Apr 2021 The Stranglers The Hexagon (Reading) Buy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Apr 2021 The Stranglers City Hall/ Memorial Hall/ Oval Hall/ Ballroom (Sheffield) Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Apr 2021 The Stranglers Pyramid/ Parr Hall (Warrington) Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Apr 2021 The Stranglers, Mike Peters, Ruts DC Motorpoint Arena (Cardiff) Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Apr 2021 Ruts DC, The Stranglers, Mike Peters Cardiff University Students Union [Solus/ CF10/ Great Hall/ Y Plas] (Cardiff) Buy Tickets
- Mon 26th Apr 2021 The Stranglers O2 Academy Leeds (Leeds) Buy Tickets
- Tue 27th Apr 2021 The Stranglers Rock City (Nottingham) Buy Tickets
- Wed 28th Apr 2021 The Stranglers De Montfort Hall and Gardens (Leicester) Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Apr 2021 The Stranglers The Corn Exchange (Cambridge) Buy Tickets