Get a Grip on yourselves - The Stranglers announce March 2012 UK tour - tickets on sale Friday 23rd Sep
Posted: 20th September 2011
September the 11th means many things to many people and, whilst not wishing to belittle what it means, its significance possibly rings different memory-bells for The Stranglers. For it was in 1974 on that date, the band registered their name and 'opened for business'.
The Guildford group have, in four decades, sailed the choppy seas of punk-rock and controversy, surfed the foamy waves of mainstream success and, bar the departure of founding vocalist Hugh Cornwell in 1990, have kept their ranks in a ship-shape state. The Stranglers are an institution.
With the possibility of new material on the horizon (it will be six years since 2006's "Suite XVI"), the band still have an incredible back-catalogue to fall back on. Their first four albums, from "Rattus Norvegicus" to "The Raven", stand up as prime examples of stroppy Brit-wave, packed full of gems such as "Peaches", "Get a Grip", "Something Better Change", "No More Heroes" and "Duchess", whilst their poppier '80s period spawned more rewards with the huge harpsichord-friendly hymn, "Golden Brown" and "Strange Little Girl".
Despite the hits drying up, The Stranglers can still shift albums and tickets to some considerable degree, a situation that will become a little more frenetic now that messrs Warne, Greenfield, Burnel and Black have announced another UK tour.
First stop is Leeds on 1st March, followed by several large towns and cities, including a rare homecoming headlining show in Guildford on the 20th and the final show in Manchester on the 24th. Their London show will be at the historic Roundhouse venue on the 9th. Support on the tour comes in the shape of The Popes and Mike Marlin.
Tickets will go on sale this Friday, priced around £23 (£26 for London).
- Fri 29th May 2020 The Stranglers Olympia Theatre (Dublin) Buy Tickets
- Sat 30th May 2020 The Stranglers The Telegraph Building (Belfast) Buy Tickets
- Tue 20th Oct 2020 The Stranglers The Engine Shed/ Platform (university of Lincoln) (Lincoln) Buy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Oct 2020 Ruts DC, The Stranglers, Mike Peters Motorpoint Arena (Cardiff) Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Oct 2020 The Stranglers O2 Academy (Bristol) Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Oct 2020 The Stranglers The Corn Exchange (Cambridge) Buy Tickets
- Mon 26th Oct 2020 The Stranglers University of East Anglia [UEA]/ LCR (Norwich) Buy Tickets
- Tue 27th Oct 2020 The Stranglers Brighton Dome/ Concert Hall (Brighton) Buy Tickets
- Thu 29th Oct 2020 The Stranglers O2 Academy Newcastle (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Oct 2020 The Stranglers City Hall/ Memorial Hall/ Oval Hall/ Ballroom (Sheffield) Buy Tickets
- Sat 31st Oct 2020 The Stranglers O2 Academy Birmingham (Birmingham) Buy Tickets
- Mon 2nd Nov 2020 The Stranglers Guildhall (Portsmouth) Buy Tickets
- Tue 3rd Nov 2020 The Stranglers Rock City (Nottingham) Buy Tickets
- Thu 5th Nov 2020 The Stranglers Music Hall (Aberdeen) Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Nov 2020 The Stranglers O2 Academy Glasgow (Glasgow) Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Nov 2020 The Stranglers O2 Academy Glasgow (Glasgow) Buy Tickets
- Mon 9th Nov 2020 The Stranglers Victoria Hall (Stoke-on-Trent) Buy Tickets
- Tue 10th Nov 2020 The Stranglers De Montfort Hall and Gardens (Leicester) Buy Tickets
- Thu 12th Nov 2020 The Stranglers O2 Academy Leeds (Leeds) Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Nov 2020 The Stranglers O2 Apollo (Manchester) Buy Tickets
- Mon 16th Nov 2020 The Stranglers G-Live (Guildford) Buy Tickets
- Tue 17th Nov 2020 The Stranglers The Hexagon (Reading) Buy Tickets
- Thu 19th Nov 2020 The Stranglers Cliffs Pavilion (Southend) Buy Tickets
- Fri 20th Nov 2020 The Stranglers O2 Academy Brixton (Brixton) Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Nov 2020 The Stranglers O2 Academy Brixton (Brixton) Buy Tickets