New Snow Patrol album and 2012 'Fallen Empires' tour - first dates on sale Friday 23rd September
In 2006, Snow Patrol were pretty-much in charge of mainstream UK rock. Formed more than a decade earlier by a trio of students from Northern Ireland studying at Dundee University, and under the name Polar Bear, their first two albums and an EP were released with minimal commercial impact. Very minimal.
But 2003's indie sleeper hit, the Mercury-nominated 'Final Straw', followed by the knock-out punch of 'Eyes Open' (2006), was enough to earn Snow Patrol, fronted by the twitching Gary Lightbody, the keys to the executive bathroom at Rock Towers.
'Final Straw' peaked at No 3 in the UK charts (No 1 in Ireland) and 'Eyes Open' was No 1 in the UK and a top 30 album in the US. The world fell over itself to nominate Snow Patrol for every imaginable award. Across 2005 and 2006, the band picked up six BRIT Award nominations, a couple of MTV noms and even a nomination for a Grammy for 'Chasing Cars' as best single. Nearly always the bridesmaid, Snow Patrol missed out on most of those gongs but did pick up an Ivor Novello award for Best Album (for 'Final Straw').
If the band split judging panels, then the music press and public seemed equally divided. Fans of Snow Patrol spoke of anthemic sing-along arena rock that wore its heart on its sleeve. Yet, to the naysayers, 'Snooze Patrol' produced leaden dad-rock. On balance, the 'ayes' just about edged it and Gary Lightbody and co prevailed.
After the bright lights of 'Eyes Open', came 2008's 'A Hundred Millions Suns'. The record received a more muted critical response but was no less successful, topping the UK chart and peaking at No 9 on the Billboard Hot 100, the band's best ever performance in the US.
A sixth album, 'Fallen Empires', is due for release in November 2011 and the band are in the process of announcing a 2012 UK and Ireland tour. Lead guitarist Nathan Connolly warns that he expects a mixed reception for the record, saying the band has taken a new musical direction and urging fans to have an open mind. If it's Dad Rock, you owe me five pounds.
Two 2012 dates have been announced so far, for The O2 in Dublin on 21st January 2012, followed by Belfast's Odyssey Arena on 23rd January.
We will have tickets for both dates when they go on sale at 9AM on Friday 23rd September, priced from €44 for Dublin and £33 for Belfast. More UK dates will be announced soon.
Ahead of the new record, Snow Patrol are playing the HMV Forum in London on 27th October as part of the Q Awards tour. Face value tickets are long-since sold out. They are also playing as part of the 'Children in Need Rocks Manchester' gig on 17th November, along with Michael Bublé, Coldplay, Lady Gaga and Elbow. And if you think tickets for that have sold out, you'd be right.
First two dates sold out - two more added!
With the initial Dublin (21st) and Belfast (23rd) dates being snapped-up on Friday, the boys have now added two more at both venues, meaning they now play Dublin's O2 Arena on 20th and 21st and Belfast's Odyssey Arena on 23rd and 24th January 2012. Tickets for the new dates are on sale now.
- Wed 5th Dec 2018 Snow Patrol: WildnessMetro Radio Arena (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Fri 7th Dec 2018 Snow Patrol: WildnessSSE Arena Belfast (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Dec 2018 Snow Patrol: WildnessSSE Arena Belfast (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Tue 11th Dec 2018 Snow Patrol: Wildness3arena (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th Jan 2019 Snow Patrol: WildnessArena Birmingham (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th Jan 2019 Snow Patrol: WildnessThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)More Info..
- Sun 27th Jan 2019 Snow Patrol: WildnessBournemouth International Centre BIC (Bournemouth)Buy Tickets
- Tue 29th Jan 2019 Snow Patrol: WildnessFirst Direct Arena (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Wed 30th Jan 2019 Snow Patrol: WildnessManchester Arena (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Thu 31st Jan 2019 Snow Patrol: WildnessSSE Hydro (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Feb 2019 Snow Patrol: WildnessWembley SSE Arena (Wembley)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 Reading Festival, Fall Out Boy, Post Malone, Wolf Alice, Not...Little John's Farm (Reading)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 Victorious Festival, The Libertines, Kaiser Chiefs, Shed Sev...Southsea Seafront (Southsea)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 Rag N Bone ManCustom House Square (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th Aug 2018 Leeds Festival, Fall Out Boy, Post Malone, Wolf Alice, Nothi...Bramham Park (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th Aug 2018 and Sat 1st Sep 2018 Kaiser ChiefsBuy Tickets
- Wed 29th Aug 2018 Yo La TengoKomedia (Brighton)More Info..
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 King CreosotePocklington Civic Arts Centre (Yorkshire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Sep 2018 Moseley Folk Festival, Teenage Fanclub, Steve Harley, King C...Moseley Park (Moseley)Buy Tickets
- Mon 3rd Sep 2018 to Mon 10th Sep 2018 The KooksBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Sep 2018 to Thu 27th Sep 2018 Arctic Monkeys, The Lemon TwigsBuy Tickets
- Sat 8th Sep 2018 and Sat 15th Dec 2018 The VaporsBuy Tickets
- Sat 8th Sep 2018 OnBlackheath, Squeeze, The Divine Comedy, Billy Bragg, Corin...Blackheath Common (London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Sep 2018 The DistractionsDublin Castle (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sun 9th Sep 2018 Pub in the Park, Squeeze, The Christians, Scouting for Girls...The Lambing Shed (Knutsford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Sep 2018 to Mon 24th Sep 2018 Biffy Clyro: UnpluggedBuy Tickets
- Sun 16th Sep 2018 and Fri 28th Sep 2018 Arctic MonkeysBuy Tickets
- Fri 21st Sep 2018 Maximo Park, Field Music, Du BlondeThe Sage (Gateshead)More Info..
- Sat 22nd Sep 2018 The British Sound Project, Franz Ferdinand, The Cribs, Larki...Victoria Warehouse (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Sep 2018 The Sherlocks, Twisted WheelSt.John's Minster (Preston)Buy Tickets
- Wed 26th Sep 2018 Franz FerdinandRoundhouse (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Sep 2018 Star Shaped Festival, Ocean Colour Scene, Black Grape, Echob...O2 Academy Brixton (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Tue 2nd Oct 2018 to Fri 2nd Nov 2018 FathersonBuy Tickets
- Sun 7th Oct 2018 to Wed 24th Oct 2018 EditorsBuy Tickets
- Fri 12th Oct 2018 to Mon 22nd Oct 2018 Echo and the Bunnymen: The Stars, The Ocean and The MoonBuy Tickets
- Sun 14th Oct 2018 to Fri 2nd Nov 2018 The Feeling: Twelve Years and HomeBuy Tickets
- Tue 16th Oct 2018 to Fri 26th Oct 2018 Clap Your Hands Say YeahBuy Tickets
- Tue 16th Oct 2018 to Wed 24th Oct 2018 Ash: IslandsBuy Tickets
- Tue 16th Oct 2018 to Sun 21st Oct 2018 Jack WhiteBuy Tickets
- Fri 19th Oct 2018 MarmozetsO2 Forum (Kentish Town)Buy Tickets
- Fri 19th Oct 2018 to Tue 23rd Oct 2018 The Posies: 30th AnniversaryBuy Tickets
- Fri 19th Oct 2018 to Sat 8th Dec 2018 Twisted WheelBuy Tickets
- Sat 27th Oct 2018 and Sun 28th Oct 2018 Stepback - the 80s Concert, Tony Hadley, ABC, Bonnie Tyler, ...Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Oct 2018 The Rubinoos100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Mon 29th Oct 2018 to Thu 15th Nov 2018 Teenage Fanclub: The Creation Records YearsBuy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Nov 2018 Beans On Toast, No Hot Ashes [Manchester], Public Service Br...Various Venues (Lincoln)Buy Tickets
- Thu 8th Nov 2018 to Sun 18th Nov 2018 Tonight AliveBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Nov 2018 AsylumsThe Camden Assembly (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 to Fri 23rd Nov 2018 Kississippi, TancredBuy Tickets
- Thu 15th Nov 2018 TancredThe Joiners (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 to Tue 27th Nov 2018 Jake BuggBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 to Sat 8th Dec 2018 You Me At Six, Marmozets, The Xcerts: Take Off Your ColoursBuy Tickets
- Sun 25th Nov 2018 Kilmarnock Dirty Weekender, Jake Bugg, The Coral, The Sex Pi...Various Venues Kilmarnock (Kilmarnock)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 and Sun 2nd Dec 2018 Def Leppard, Cheap Trick: HysteriaBuy Tickets
- Thu 13th Dec 2018 to Mon 17th Dec 2018 MGMTBuy Tickets
- Sun 20th Jan 2019 to Fri 25th Jan 2019 F*cked UpBuy Tickets
- Tue 22nd Jan 2019 to Sun 3rd Feb 2019 Frank Turner and the Sleeping Souls: Frank Turner, Jimmy Eat World - Be More KindBuy Tickets
- Thu 7th Feb 2019 to Fri 22nd Feb 2019 CHVRCHESBuy Tickets
- Wed 20th Feb 2019 Good CharlotteAlexandra Palace (London)Buy Tickets