New Snow Patrol album and 2012 'Fallen Empires' tour - first dates on sale Friday 23rd September
In 2006, Snow Patrol were pretty-much in charge of mainstream UK rock. Formed more than a decade earlier by a trio of students from Northern Ireland studying at Dundee University, and under the name Polar Bear, their first two albums and an EP were released with minimal commercial impact. Very minimal.
But 2003's indie sleeper hit, the Mercury-nominated 'Final Straw', followed by the knock-out punch of 'Eyes Open' (2006), was enough to earn Snow Patrol, fronted by the twitching Gary Lightbody, the keys to the executive bathroom at Rock Towers.
'Final Straw' peaked at No 3 in the UK charts (No 1 in Ireland) and 'Eyes Open' was No 1 in the UK and a top 30 album in the US. The world fell over itself to nominate Snow Patrol for every imaginable award. Across 2005 and 2006, the band picked up six BRIT Award nominations, a couple of MTV noms and even a nomination for a Grammy for 'Chasing Cars' as best single. Nearly always the bridesmaid, Snow Patrol missed out on most of those gongs but did pick up an Ivor Novello award for Best Album (for 'Final Straw').
If the band split judging panels, then the music press and public seemed equally divided. Fans of Snow Patrol spoke of anthemic sing-along arena rock that wore its heart on its sleeve. Yet, to the naysayers, 'Snooze Patrol' produced leaden dad-rock. On balance, the 'ayes' just about edged it and Gary Lightbody and co prevailed.
After the bright lights of 'Eyes Open', came 2008's 'A Hundred Millions Suns'. The record received a more muted critical response but was no less successful, topping the UK chart and peaking at No 9 on the Billboard Hot 100, the band's best ever performance in the US.
A sixth album, 'Fallen Empires', is due for release in November 2011 and the band are in the process of announcing a 2012 UK and Ireland tour. Lead guitarist Nathan Connolly warns that he expects a mixed reception for the record, saying the band has taken a new musical direction and urging fans to have an open mind. If it's Dad Rock, you owe me five pounds.
Two 2012 dates have been announced so far, for The O2 in Dublin on 21st January 2012, followed by Belfast's Odyssey Arena on 23rd January.
We will have tickets for both dates when they go on sale at 9AM on Friday 23rd September, priced from €44 for Dublin and £33 for Belfast. More UK dates will be announced soon.
Ahead of the new record, Snow Patrol are playing the HMV Forum in London on 27th October as part of the Q Awards tour. Face value tickets are long-since sold out. They are also playing as part of the 'Children in Need Rocks Manchester' gig on 17th November, along with Michael Bublé, Coldplay, Lady Gaga and Elbow. And if you think tickets for that have sold out, you'd be right.
First two dates sold out - two more added!
With the initial Dublin (21st) and Belfast (23rd) dates being snapped-up on Friday, the boys have now added two more at both venues, meaning they now play Dublin's O2 Arena on 20th and 21st and Belfast's Odyssey Arena on 23rd and 24th January 2012. Tickets for the new dates are on sale now.
- Wed 5th Dec 2018 Snow Patrol: WildnessMetro Radio Arena (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Fri 7th Dec 2018 Snow Patrol: WildnessSSE Arena Belfast (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Dec 2018 Snow Patrol: WildnessSSE Arena Belfast (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Tue 11th Dec 2018 Snow Patrol: Wildness3arena (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th Jan 2019 Snow Patrol: WildnessArena Birmingham (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th Jan 2019 Snow Patrol: WildnessThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)More Info..
- Sun 27th Jan 2019 Snow Patrol: WildnessBournemouth International Centre BIC (Bournemouth)Buy Tickets
- Tue 29th Jan 2019 Snow Patrol: WildnessFirst Direct Arena (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Wed 30th Jan 2019 Snow Patrol: WildnessManchester Arena (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Thu 31st Jan 2019 Snow Patrol: WildnessSSE Hydro (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Feb 2019 Snow Patrol: WildnessWembley SSE Arena (Wembley)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 to Fri 23rd Nov 2018 Kississippi, TancredBuy Tickets
- Sat 17th Nov 2018 and Sun 18th Nov 2018 Tonight AliveBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 to Tue 27th Nov 2018 Jake BuggBuy Tickets
- Sun 25th Nov 2018 Kilmarnock Dirty Weekender, Jake Bugg, The Coral, The Sex Pi...Various Venues Kilmarnock (Kilmarnock)Buy Tickets
- Sun 25th Nov 2018 Patent PendingO2 Academy Islington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 to Fri 14th Dec 2018 Twisted WheelBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 and Sun 2nd Dec 2018 Def Leppard, Cheap Trick: HysteriaBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 The VaporsNells Jazz and Blues (Kensington and Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Tue 18th Dec 2018 Matthew SweetIslington Assembly Hall [Town Hall] (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Wed 19th Dec 2018 and Thu 20th Dec 2018 AshBuy Tickets
- Thu 20th Dec 2018 Echo and the BunnymenHolmfirth Picturedrome (West Yorkshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th Jan 2019 to Fri 25th Jan 2019 F*cked UpBuy Tickets
- Tue 22nd Jan 2019 to Sun 3rd Feb 2019 Frank Turner and the Sleeping Souls: Frank Turner, Jimmy Eat World - Be More KindBuy Tickets
- Wed 23rd Jan 2019 and Wed 30th Jan 2019 Jimmy Eat WorldBuy Tickets
- Thu 24th Jan 2019 to Wed 20th Feb 2019 Kaiser ChiefsBuy Tickets
- Tue 29th Jan 2019 to Fri 1st Feb 2019 The Dandy WarholsBuy Tickets
- Thu 14th Feb 2019 Enuff Z'NuffUnderworld (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Wed 20th Feb 2019 Good CharlotteAlexandra Palace (London)Buy Tickets
- Wed 20th Feb 2019 to Wed 29th May 2019 FathersonBuy Tickets
- Fri 8th Mar 2019 to Fri 10th May 2019 Cats in SpaceBuy Tickets
- Thu 14th Mar 2019 to Sun 17th Mar 2019 Bob MouldBuy Tickets
- Sat 30th Mar 2019 to Sun 7th Apr 2019 Stand AtlanticOn SaleFri 16th Novat 10am
- Wed 10th Apr 2019 to Fri 12th Apr 2019 BeirutBuy Tickets
- Sun 5th May 2019 Mods Mayday, Secret Affair, The Chords, The Lambrettas, The ...: Glory Boys 40th Anniversary Tour 1979-2019Islington Assembly Hall [Town Hall] (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sun 5th May 2019 Hit the North Festival, Jake Bugg, Tom Grennan, Blaenavon, C...Various Newcastle Venues (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th May 2019 T'PauO2 Academy Newcastle (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th May 2019 Neighbourhood Weekender, George Ezra, Primal Scream, Nothing...Victoria Park (Warrington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th May 2019 Gigantic Vol. 5: Echo and the Bunnymen, The Wonder Stuff, The Bluetones, Jesu...Manchester Academy (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Wed 5th Jun 2019 to Thu 20th Jun 2019 Nick LoweBuy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jun 2019 Kaiser Chiefs, The Vaccines, The Sherlocks: A celebration of 100 years of Leeds UnitedElland Road (Leeds United FC) (Leeds)Buy Tickets