New Snow Patrol album and 2012 'Fallen Empires' tour - first dates on sale Friday 23rd September
In 2006, Snow Patrol were pretty-much in charge of mainstream UK rock. Formed more than a decade earlier by a trio of students from Northern Ireland studying at Dundee University, and under the name Polar Bear, their first two albums and an EP were released with minimal commercial impact. Very minimal.
But 2003's indie sleeper hit, the Mercury-nominated 'Final Straw', followed by the knock-out punch of 'Eyes Open' (2006), was enough to earn Snow Patrol, fronted by the twitching Gary Lightbody, the keys to the executive bathroom at Rock Towers.
'Final Straw' peaked at No 3 in the UK charts (No 1 in Ireland) and 'Eyes Open' was No 1 in the UK and a top 30 album in the US. The world fell over itself to nominate Snow Patrol for every imaginable award. Across 2005 and 2006, the band picked up six BRIT Award nominations, a couple of MTV noms and even a nomination for a Grammy for 'Chasing Cars' as best single. Nearly always the bridesmaid, Snow Patrol missed out on most of those gongs but did pick up an Ivor Novello award for Best Album (for 'Final Straw').
If the band split judging panels, then the music press and public seemed equally divided. Fans of Snow Patrol spoke of anthemic sing-along arena rock that wore its heart on its sleeve. Yet, to the naysayers, 'Snooze Patrol' produced leaden dad-rock. On balance, the 'ayes' just about edged it and Gary Lightbody and co prevailed.
After the bright lights of 'Eyes Open', came 2008's 'A Hundred Millions Suns'. The record received a more muted critical response but was no less successful, topping the UK chart and peaking at No 9 on the Billboard Hot 100, the band's best ever performance in the US.
A sixth album, 'Fallen Empires', is due for release in November 2011 and the band are in the process of announcing a 2012 UK and Ireland tour. Lead guitarist Nathan Connolly warns that he expects a mixed reception for the record, saying the band has taken a new musical direction and urging fans to have an open mind. If it's Dad Rock, you owe me five pounds.
Two 2012 dates have been announced so far, for The O2 in Dublin on 21st January 2012, followed by Belfast's Odyssey Arena on 23rd January.
We will have tickets for both dates when they go on sale at 9AM on Friday 23rd September, priced from €44 for Dublin and £33 for Belfast. More UK dates will be announced soon.
Ahead of the new record, Snow Patrol are playing the HMV Forum in London on 27th October as part of the Q Awards tour. Face value tickets are long-since sold out. They are also playing as part of the 'Children in Need Rocks Manchester' gig on 17th November, along with Michael Bublé, Coldplay, Lady Gaga and Elbow. And if you think tickets for that have sold out, you'd be right.
First two dates sold out - two more added!
With the initial Dublin (21st) and Belfast (23rd) dates being snapped-up on Friday, the boys have now added two more at both venues, meaning they now play Dublin's O2 Arena on 20th and 21st and Belfast's Odyssey Arena on 23rd and 24th January 2012. Tickets for the new dates are on sale now.
You may also be interested in
- Thu 24th May 2018 to Sat 16th Jun 2018 Demi Lovato: Tell Me You Love MeBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Fri 1st Jun 2018 Echo and the Bunnymen: The Stars, The Ocean and The MoonBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 Belle and SebastianSWG3 (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 World Island, SamphaGlobe Road (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 Jake BuggKelvingrove Park (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 and Sun 27th May 2018 SqueezeBuy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 All Points East, The xx, Lorde, Sampha, Popcaan, Lykke Li, R...Victoria Park (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Neighbourhood Weekender, The Courteeners, Jake Bugg, Kodalin...Victoria Park (Warrington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Slam Dunk Festival, Good Charlotte, Jimmy Eat World, Pvris, ...Various Leeds Venues (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Brigade, Slaves to GravityO2 Academy Islington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 to Fri 6th Jul 2018 Twisted WheelBuy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Ash: BBC Music's Biggest WeekendThe Slipways (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 Love Saves The Day, Sampha, Knee Deep in Sound, Artwork, Jus...Eastville Park (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 Bearded Theory Festival, Jimmy Cliff, Jake Bugg, Dub Pistols...Catton Hall Park (Derbyshire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 Neighbourhood Weekender, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds,...Victoria Park (Warrington)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 Slam Dunk Festival, Good Charlotte, Jimmy Eat World, Pvris, ...Hatfield House (Hatfield)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 to Sun 15th Jul 2018 Kaiser ChiefsBuy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 Common People Oxford, James, Ride, Maximo Park, DJ Craig Cha...South Park (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Mon 28th May 2018 Slam Dunk Festival, Good Charlotte, Jimmy Eat World, Pvris, ...Genting/ NEC Arena (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Tue 29th May 2018 Clap Your Hands Say YeahThe Dalston Victoria (Dalston)Buy Tickets
- Thu 31st May 2018 to Sat 2nd Jun 2018 Primavera SoundBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st Jun 2018 King CreosoteArc (Stockton-on-Tees)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Jun 2018 The PastelsMacintosh Queen's Cross Church (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Jun 2018 Camden Rocks, Maximo Park, PiL, Twin Atlantic, Mallory Knox,...Various Camden Venues (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Jun 2018 APE Presents, The National, The War On Drugs, Cat Power, Pub...Victoria Park (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Jun 2018 Long Division Festival, Billy Bragg, King Creosote, Charlott...Various Wakefield Venues (Wakefield)Buy Tickets
- Thu 7th Jun 2018 MarmozetsChinnerys (Southend)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Jun 2018 Parklife, The xx, N*E*R*D, A$AP Rocky, Bonobo, Eric Prydz, L...Heaton Park (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 10th Jun 2018 Parklife, Liam Gallagher, Skepta, J Hus, CHVRCHES, Justice, ...Heaton Park (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 10th Jun 2018 Pub in the Park, The Christians, Squeeze, Scouting for Girls...Royal Victoria Park (Bath)Buy Tickets
- Mon 11th Jun 2018 to Fri 20th Jul 2018 Future Islands: Skyline SeriesBuy Tickets
- Thu 14th Jun 2018 Live at Chelsea, Kaiser ChiefsThe Royal Hospital (Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Jun 2018 and Sat 16th Jun 2018 The NationalBuy Tickets
- Sat 16th Jun 2018 Nocturne Live, Elvis Costello, The Waterboys, Nick LoweBlenheim Palace (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Jun 2018 and Sun 17th Jun 2018 Alice in ChainsBuy Tickets
- Mon 18th Jun 2018 and Tue 19th Jun 2018 Pearl JamBuy Tickets
- Tue 19th Jun 2018 Foo Fighters, Wolf Alice, The CribsEtihad Stadium [City of Manchester] (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Foo Fighters, Wolf Alice, Frank CarterThe London Stadium - Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park (Newham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Echo and the Bunnymen, Peter Hook, The Jesus and Mary Chain: Skyline SeriesHarbourside (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Meltdown Festival, Nine Inch NailsRoyal Festival Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Tue 26th Jun 2018 to Thu 28th Jun 2018 Jack WhiteBuy Tickets
- Sat 30th Jun 2018 The VaporsCluny (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Sat 30th Jun 2018 Queens of the Stone Age, Iggy Pop, Run the Jewels, The HivesFinsbury Park (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 30th Jun 2018 TRNSMT, Liam Gallagher, The Courteeners, Wolf Alice, J Hus, ...Glasgow Green (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sun 1st Jul 2018 Community Festival, Two Door Cinema Club, The Vaccines, You ...Finsbury Park (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sun 1st Jul 2018 TRNSMT, Arctic Monkeys, Interpol, Blossoms, Nothing But Thie...Glasgow Green (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Mon 2nd Jul 2018 to Fri 6th Jul 2018 EelsBuy Tickets
- Wed 4th Jul 2018 Sounds of the City, Rag N Bone ManCastlefield Bowl (Castlefield)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Jul 2018 The Cure, Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Inte...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sun 8th Jul 2018 TRNSMT, The Killers, Franz FerdinandGlasgow Green (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Mon 9th Jul 2018 The Summer Series, MGMTSomerset House (Westminster)Buy Tickets