Shaun Ryder: New book, new teeth and new live dates for November/ December 2011 - tickets available now
Around two decades ago, a group of lads from Salford larked about on the roof of a Barcelona hotel miming along unconvincingly to the audio of their forthcoming crossover smash 'Step On'. Skinny, fresh-faced and indifferent, the Happy Mondays had already hinted at what was to come by not turning up for the video shoot until 3pm on the final day of the five allocated for filming.
Melons were twisted, cops were called and 'the Mondays' became the poster boys for the so-called Madchester movement that swept all before it. Amen.
But that, of course, was only part of the story - it was barely the 'b' of the bang. And what a bang. Anthony Wilson called the Happy Mondays' abrasive frontman Shaun Ryder 'a poet' and, with Tony's backing and Factory Records' legendary talent for disorganisation and financial underperformance, the Happy Mondays effed and jeffed and crashed and smashed their way through the next four or five years.
Wide-eyed Bez kept shaking the maracas, whatever he'd levered into his veins, Shaun Ryder kept ad-libbing the f-word on early evening family TV programmes and everyone - everyone - kept dancing, hoping it would last forever.
But the fortunes of Factory, the Happy Mondays and their home ground - the Haçienda - were all inextricably linked; and all improbably fragile given the apparent commercial success enjoyed by each. The wheels fell off and, via Black Grape, Ryder was pitched into a decade-long battle with his demons, about which much has been written.
Fast-forward to 2011 and Shaun Ryder has been in ITV's jungle (runner-up to Stacey Solomon), got married to long-time love Joanne and collected a new set of teeth. He has finally stepped off the ride and taken a breath.
Long battles with addiction and depression have taken their toll but what has emerged is a coherent, wise, veteran of one of music's most exciting times. He's even written it all down in his autobiography 'Twisting My Melon', published by Bantam Press last week.
Shaun Ryder's impish grin may now frame as magnificent a set of pearly whites you're ever likely to see, but it is still there, as is the glint in his eye. With a series of live performances scheduled for later this year, Shaun Ryder - swearer, survivor, poet - will once again give his all and manage to convince everyone in the room that his old friend danger is lurking around the next corner.
Shaun Ryder's autumn dates kick off in Yeovil on 8th October, followed by gigs in Durham, Wrexham, Coventry and Cardiff, with the final date nudging into winter on 2nd December 2011 at Gloucester Guildhall.
We have tickets available now for all dates, priced from £15 to £22.50. Sorted.
Update: December London date and more added!
After a wee appearance on BBC Breakfast the other day, Shaun has now added dates in Preston, Leicester, London, Portsmouth and Reading. Tickets for Preston are on sale now, with the remainder going on sale Thursday (22nd September) morning.
- Thu 29th Nov 2018 Black Grape, Shaun RyderO2 Academy Bristol (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sat 30th Mar 2019 Black Grape, Shaun RyderO2 Academy Islington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Thu 4th Apr 2019 Black Grape, Shaun RyderThe Garage/ G2/ Attic (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Apr 2019 Black Grape, Shaun RyderThe Liquid Rooms (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 Black GrapeRiverside (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 BezThe Exchange (Hanley)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 Black GrapeKing George's Hall (Blackburn)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 BezThe Con Club (Lewes)Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 Black GrapeEngine Rooms (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 Happy Mondays, Tom HingleyThe Avenue (Chesterfield)Buy Tickets
- Mon 31st Dec 2018 Bez, New Year's Eve PartyThe Record Factory (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Mar 2019 Black GrapeTramshed (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Mar 2019 Black GrapeRock City (Nottingham)Buy Tickets
- Thu 21st Mar 2019 Black GrapeThe Welly Club (Hull)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Mar 2019 Black GrapeThe Plug (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Mar 2019 Black GrapeThe Corn Exchange (Bedford)Buy Tickets
- Thu 28th Mar 2019 Black GrapeSub89 (Reading)Buy Tickets
- Fri 29th Mar 2019 Black GrapeThe Mill [Formerly Rainbow Arena] (Digbeth)Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Apr 2019 Black GrapeThe Lemon Tree (Aberdeen)More Info..