The Lightning Seeds announce February 2012 tour - tickets available Friday 16th September
Fronted by the likeable Ian Broudie, The Lightning Seeds are undoubtedly now best known for their recordings of various versions of 'Three Lions' with comedians David Baddiel and Frank Skinner.
In 1996, at the height of Britpop and on the eve of the so-called Cool Britannia era, England was hosting a major football competition for the first time in three decades. It was to be a transcendental moment in modern popular culture.
It was a meeting of minds between the nation's favourite sport, two of its favourite comedians and one of its top indie bands, showcased on massive TV hits like Chris Evans' 'TFI Friday', Baddiel and Skinner's own 'Fantasy Football' show and all in the warm embrace of one of the few true, long hot summers of recent times.
Amid a sea of mediocre football-related pop songs, 'Three Lions' was the right sentiment at the right time. The German football team and public even latched onto it. After they'd won the tournament, knocking us out via the regulation penalty shoot-out hell, the homecoming in Berlin culminated in the team singing "It's coming home", trophy aloft. The pain still won't go away.
But, for The Lightning Seeds, it was just another chapter in a hugely successful career that has seen numerous top ten albums, a couple of No 1 singles ('Three Lions', twice) and their music frequently selected for TV shows and sports news beds, most notably for Match of the Day's 'Goal of the Month' segment which featured 1992's 'The Life of Riley'.
Alongside singles like 'Pure', 'Lucky You', 'Change', 'Sugar Coated Iceberg' and, of course, 'Three Lions', the MOTD exposure helped The Lightning Seeds build a merited reputation for extraordinarily catchy sing-along indie pop. A reputation that is alive and well and still thrilling audiences.
The first of nine February 2012 dates for The Lightning Seeds will be at Whitehaven's Civic Hall, with further dates in Leeds, a home-coming gig at the Liverpool Academy, then Milton Keynes, Gateshead, leamington Spa, Frome, London's Shepherds Bush Empire and finally the Buxton Opera House on 20th February.
Tickets go on sale at 9AM on Friday 16th September 2011, from £22.50 (£25 for London).
You may be interested in
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 to Sat 30th Mar 2019 The DualersBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 to Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Madness, The Fratellis: The Sound of MadnessBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 to Mon 17th Dec 2018 MGMTBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 to Sun 17th Mar 2019 Dub PistolsBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 Happy Mondays, Tom HingleyThe Avenue (Chesterfield)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 James WalshKasbah (Coventry)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 Cassia, Spector, The Whip, BLOXX, Vistas, The Ninth WaveO2 Ritz (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 and Sun 30th Dec 2018 How Does It Feel To Be Loved?Buy Tickets
- Sun 16th Dec 2018 to Fri 22nd Feb 2019 RazorlightBuy Tickets
- Sun 16th Dec 2018 Sheppard: Watching the SkyO2 Academy Islington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sun 16th Dec 2018 to Sat 2nd Feb 2019 PhobophobesBuy Tickets
- Tue 18th Dec 2018 Danny GoffeyBush Hall (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Thu 20th Dec 2018 Streets of London, Ellie Goulding, Dua Lipa, Bastille, Mabel...Wembley SSE Arena (Wembley)Buy Tickets
- Fri 21st Dec 2018 The Ninth WaveSaint Luke's Glasgow (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 21st Dec 2018 Boy AzoogaYES (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 21st Dec 2018 Neville Staple, Laid BlakThe Cheese and Grain (Frome)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Ian Prowse, AmsterdamO2 Academy Liverpool (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Dec 2018 to Sun 31st Mar 2019 Jack LukemanBuy Tickets
- Sat 29th Dec 2018 The Stunning, The Frank and WaltersLeisureland (Galway)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Dec 2018 The SnutsSWG3 (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Mon 31st Dec 2018 Everything Everything, Tom Grennan, New Year's Eve PartyVictoria Warehouse (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Mon 31st Dec 2018 Rat BoyUnderworld (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Tue 1st Jan 2019 Camden Rocks Club Night, Rat Boy: DJ SetUnderworld (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Wed 9th Jan 2019 to Fri 25th Jan 2019 The 1975, Pale Waves, No RomeBuy Tickets
- Wed 16th Jan 2019 and Fri 8th Feb 2019 Go Kart MozartBuy Tickets
- Wed 16th Jan 2019 and Sat 19th Jan 2019 Laetitia SadierBuy Tickets
- Fri 18th Jan 2019 to Fri 1st Feb 2019 Bell X1Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Jan 2019 Laetitia Sadier, Marker StarlingSt Mary's Centre (Chester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Jan 2019 and Wed 6th Mar 2019 Gently TenderBuy Tickets
- Fri 18th Jan 2019 Dancing On TablesKing Tut's (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Jan 2019 and Sun 3rd Feb 2019 Rozi PlainBuy Tickets
- Sat 19th Jan 2019 Ian ProwseSt Saviour's Community Hall - Retford (Nottinghamshire)Buy Tickets
- Mon 21st Jan 2019 and Tue 22nd Jan 2019 Years and YearsBuy Tickets
- Tue 22nd Jan 2019 Spotlight: CorellaThe Camden Assembly (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Thu 24th Jan 2019 to Wed 20th Feb 2019 Kaiser ChiefsBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th Jan 2019 Rick Witter, Paul BanksFibbers (York)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th Jan 2019 to Sat 23rd Mar 2019 Red Rum ClubBuy Tickets
- Sat 26th Jan 2019 and Thu 31st Jan 2019 The Wombats, Blaenavon, The Night CafeBuy Tickets
- Sat 26th Jan 2019 to Sat 30th Mar 2019 Neville StapleBuy Tickets
- Sat 26th Jan 2019 to Fri 1st Feb 2019 Jerry WilliamsBuy Tickets
- Sun 27th Jan 2019 to Sun 10th Feb 2019 BastilleBuy Tickets
- Tue 29th Jan 2019 to Fri 1st Feb 2019 Amy SharkBuy Tickets
- Wed 30th Jan 2019 Mitchell MuseumSneaky Pete's (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Thu 31st Jan 2019 to Sat 23rd Feb 2019 Strange Bones, RascaltonBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st Feb 2019 to Sat 9th Mar 2019 Dodgy: HomegrownBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st Feb 2019 Hookworms, The Orielles, Bilge PumpLeeds Town Hall (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Feb 2019 SheafsEsquires (Bedford)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Feb 2019 RascaltonCellar 35 (Aberdeen)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Feb 2019 to Sat 30th Mar 2019 SleeperBuy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Feb 2019 The Darling BudsLe Pub (Newport)Buy Tickets
- Wed 6th Feb 2019 to Tue 12th Feb 2019 BalthazarBuy Tickets