The Rubberbandits are bringing their horse to England for November 2011 - tickets on sale Friday 9th September
There is a pop video posted on YouTube that has recorded an impressive 7,759,707 hits. It is not a Lady Gaga or Beyoncé track; it is called 'Horse Outside' and it is credited to the Irish comedy pop outfit The Rubberbandits.
Formed in Limerick, Ireland, a decade or so ago, The Rubberbandits are the 'comedy hip hop duo' of Blindboy Boat Club and Mr Chrome. You may not have heard that much from them but 'Horse Outside' was a national comedy smash in Ireland and, earlier this year, The Rubberbandits were officially declared to be better than The Script. Take THAT, pop.
Yes, at the 2011 entertainment.ie awards, the Limerick duo won Best Irish Act ahead of the once-Mercury nominated Fionn Regan and squeaky clean Irish popstrels The Script. Quite a coup for a comedy double-act that spent their first six or seven years making prank phonecalls and liberally satirising Irish politics, especially so-called 'armchair republicanism'.
Blindboy and Mr Chrome may have the reassuring real names of Dave and Bob but in public they mask their identities with torn plastic carrier bags stretched over their faces, giving their satire an edgy menace. The bandits' big breakthrough was 'Horse Outside', again poking fun at Irish stereotypes as they attempted to woo a bridesmaid with the fact that they have 'a horse outside'. It is catchy, expertly delivered and mercilessly funny.
'Horse Outside' was kept off the 2010 Christmas No 1 spot in Ireland by The X Factor's latest blah but it still brought The Rubberbandits a worldwide audience, bigger gigs, awards and a platform for their next single 'I Wanna Fight Your Father'. It has also seen the band/act announce a handful of England dates for later this year.
The Rubberbandits' tour kicks off in Oxford on Sunday 13th November 2011, moving on to Newcastle, Birmingham, Manchester and Cardiff, before the final gig of the run at XOYO in London on Sunday 27th November.
We will have tickets for all dates when they go on sale at 9AM on Friday 9th September, priced just £10 for all venues including London.
You may also be interested in
- Sun 18th Nov 2018 to Fri 22nd Mar 2019 David O'DohertyBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Nov 2018 to Sun 10th Feb 2019 Adam KayBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 to Sat 24th Nov 2018 The DollsBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 Tom AdamsSt Pancras Old Church (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 to Sat 2nd Feb 2019 AbandomanBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 to Sun 17th Feb 2019 Phil NicholBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 to Fri 17th May 2019 Macc LadsBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 to Sat 13th Apr 2019 Rich Hall: Rich Hall's HoedownBuy Tickets
- Sun 25th Nov 2018 and Fri 25th Jan 2019 Graham FellowsBuy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 to Sat 13th Apr 2019 The Lancashire HotpotsBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 Steve Gribbin, Sam Avery, Brendan RileyThe Bentley (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 and Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Mik Artistik's Ego TripBuy Tickets
- Mon 3rd Dec 2018 to Mon 17th Jun 2019 Bill BaileyBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Dec 2018 James Acaster, Mae Martin, Ed Gamble, Simon MunneryBloomsbury Theatre (Bloomsbury)Buy Tickets
- Mon 17th Dec 2018 Frisky and MannishThe Spiegeltent (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th Jan 2019 Jonny AwsumThe Arts Centre (Essex)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Jan 2019 Gavin OsbornFrenchay Village Hall (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sun 20th Jan 2019 to Sun 3rd Feb 2019 The 2 Johnnies: Kids ShowBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st Feb 2019 to Thu 18th Apr 2019 Andrew LawrenceBuy Tickets
- Mon 18th Feb 2019 Vikki StoneThe Cookie (Leicester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Mar 2019 to Sun 7th Apr 2019 Rachel ParrisBuy Tickets
- Sun 14th Apr 2019 to Thu 18th Apr 2019 Demetri Martin: Wandering MindBuy Tickets
- Sat 27th Apr 2019 Scotland Calling, The Exploited, Slaughter and the Dogs, Mac...O2 Academy Glasgow (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Tue 15th Oct 2019 to Sat 30th Nov 2019 Tim Minchin: BackBuy Tickets
- Thu 17th Oct 2019 And In The End...: The Bootleg Beatles, Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra,...Royal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets