Big Country take The Crossing on tour for 2012 UK shows and album reissue - tickets on sale Friday 9th September
Scotland boasts a proud and recent history of rock and pop bands, many of which have been, at some point, appreciated by discerning music-buyers south of the border. Simple Minds, Runrig, Marillion, The Silencers, Biffy Clyro, The Proclaimers and Idlewild have all had a bit of the solid, rocky and weather-beaten landscape of their homeland in their music. In the '70s, one band was brave enough to adopt a sound that oozed Scottish attitude and imagery - The Skids.
They were fronted by Richard Jobson, who wrapped up rousing lyrics of strength, masquerades and valleys with a strong Dunfermline burr to great effect, with their guitarist, Stuart Adamson, chopping out eerie riffs that provoked a few tears in the eyes of bleary-eyed, concert-going fans back in the day. After The Skids disbanded in 1982, Jobson formed the not dissimilar Armoury Show and peddled spoken-prose albums around Europe, while Adamson founded Big Country, bringing the same sound to the table, only this time heavily treated to sound like the skirl of bagpipes - rock bagpipes. It worked a treat.
Their debut album, "The Crossing", was issued in 1983 and provided the band with a handful of hits and a future that has lasted almost 30 years. After several albums and hundreds of shows, Big Country's popularity has continued, even after the premature passing of Stuart Adamson in 2001. Tony Butler took up the vocal reins for a while before Mike Peters of The Alarm contributed to their later material and will continue to do so for their next tour.
2012 will see the band revisit "The Crossing" in its entirety during a full UK tour, starting in Newcastle on 3rd February, followed by the usual bigger cities, as well as Dunfermline (naturally) on the 7th and a London show on the 11th. We will have tickets from Friday 9th September at 9.30am, with prices ranging from £22.50 to £23.50 (London).
At around the same time, Universal will be issuing a remastered version of "The Crossing", jam-packed with extra tracks and rarities, as well as the related big hits from the album including "Chance", "Fields of Fire", "In a Big Country", "Harvest Home" and "Wonderland" (the latter normally added as a bonus in other territories). It's a worthy '80s album by anyone's standards.
- Fri 27th Apr 2018 Big CountryThe Platform (Morecambe)Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th May 2018 Big CountryThe Georgian Theatre/ Green Room (Stockton-on-Tees)More Info..
- Sat 5th May 2018 Big CountryThe Engine Shed/ Platform (university of Lincoln) (Lincoln)Buy Tickets
- Tue 19th Jun 2018 The Skids, Big CountrySummerhall (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Jul 2018 Big CountryMorley Town Hall (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Thu 13th Sep 2018 Big CountryThe Buttermarket/ Cellars (Shrewsbury)Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Sep 2018 Big CountryM.E.C.A (Swindon)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Sep 2018 Big CountryPhoenix Arts Centre (Exeter)Buy Tickets
- Thu 20th Sep 2018 Big CountryCavern (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Fri 21st Sep 2018 Big CountryRobin (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Sep 2018 Big CountryThe Live Rooms (Chester)Buy Tickets
- Thu 11th Oct 2018 Big CountryMK11 (Milton Keynes)Buy Tickets
- Fri 12th Oct 2018 Big CountryWarehouse 23 (Wakefield)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 Big CountryO2 Academy Newcastle (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Oct 2018 Big CountryTown Hall (Louth)Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th Oct 2018 Big CountryHarpenden Public Halls (Hertfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Nov 2018 Big CountryGorilla (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Nov 2018 Big CountryBrudenell Social (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Fri 9th Nov 2018 Big CountryChinnerys (Southend)Buy Tickets
- Sat 10th Nov 2018 Big CountryRoadmender (Northampton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 Big CountryUnder the Bridge (Fulham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Nov 2018 Big CountryThe Old Market (Hove)Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 Big CountryThe Flowerpot (Derby)Buy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 Big CountrySubscription Rooms (Stroud)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 Big CountryThe Fleece (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 Big CountryThe Cheese and Grain (Frome)Buy Tickets
- Sun 25th Nov 2018 Big CountryThe Globe (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 The Skids, Big CountryThe Limelight 1/2 (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 The Skids, Big CountryDublin Academy [1/2/ Green Room] (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th Jan 2019 The Skids, Big CountryThe Guild Hall & Charter Theatre (Preston)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Mar 2019 Big Country: AcousticSt John's Church - Farncombe (Godalming)Buy Tickets