Matt Cardle announces Scotland 2011 tour dates - on sale Saturday 27th August
In late 2010, English singer-songwriter Matt Cardle became the latest recipient of the keys to Simon Cowell's executive washroom when he won the most recent series of The X Factor, ITV's phenomenally successful... etc.
As Cowell commands, the winner shall sing a song ('the winners song') and that song shall then be the UK Christmas No 1 single. All very exciting. So when the likeable Cardle swept all before him in the series final, he was duly awarded a Christmas No 1.
The track selected was, to the horror of many, a watered down version of the Biffy Clyro guitar-heavy ballad 'Many of Horror', re-titled for Matt Cardle and The X Factor as 'When We Collide'.
Cardle's 'lite' version was, of course, quickly propelled to the top of the UK charts by a public who had finally grown tired of all the Steve Brookstein and Shayne Ward records and their constant radio play, and were seeking something fresh and original. Like a cover.
In fairness to Matt Cardle, he was contractually obliged to do pretty much whatever the Emperor told him to do, so it's hardy his 'fault'. We all recall Will Young going through the motions with his label paymasters before going his own way, and very successfully.
Whether Matt Cardle is the new Will Young or the new Gareth Gates remains to be seen but the early signs are encouraging and, of course, he'll have every chance of succeeding given he has the likes of Gary Barlow lining up to pen hits for him.
Cardle's new single 'Run For Your Life', written by Gary Barlow, is released on Sunday 9th October, with his debut album, 'Letters', out a week or so later. Ahead of the releases, Matt Cardle is taking his new material on a curious jaunt round the Highlands of Scotland.
The short debut tour begins at The Pickaquoy Centre in Kirkwall (where else?) on Friday 23rd September, followed by a gig in the Shetland Islands the next night, before the final show (announced so far) at The Ironworks in Inverness on Wednesday 28th September.
We will have tickets for all three shows when they go on sale at 9AM on Saturday 27th August, priced £20.
You may be interested in
- Tue 27th Nov 2018 to Sat 20th Jul 2019 Calendar GirlsBuy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 and Sat 1st Dec 2018 Sam LaveryBuy Tickets
- Sat 8th Dec 2018 Capital FM Jingle Bell Ball, Ellie Goulding, Halsey, Rita Or...The O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Mon 7th Jan 2019 Rebecca FergusonBoisdale of Canary Wharf (Canary Wharf)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Feb 2019 Vampires Rock, Sam BaileyWinter Gardens (Margate)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Feb 2019 to Wed 6th Mar 2019 X Factor LiveBuy Tickets
- Sun 17th Feb 2019 to Fri 25th Oct 2019 Lee MeadBuy Tickets
- Mon 25th Mar 2019 Amber Riley, Rebecca Ferguson, Mica Paris, Jaki Graham, Cleo...Eventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Fri 12th Apr 2019 to Sat 8th Jun 2019 Take That, Rick AstleyBuy Tickets
- Wed 1st May 2019 to Tue 28th May 2019 Olly Murs, Rak-SuBuy Tickets
- Wed 1st May 2019 to Sun 19th May 2019 Lucy SpragganBuy Tickets
- Mon 6th May 2019 to Fri 7th Jun 2019 Olly MursBuy Tickets
- Tue 21st May 2019 to Wed 29th May 2019 Rita Ora: PhoenixBuy Tickets
- Wed 29th May 2019 Jonathan Ansell, Rhydian RobertsSpa Theatre and Ocean Room (Scarborough)Buy Tickets
- Thu 10th Oct 2019 to Thu 21st Nov 2019 Little MixBuy Tickets