Electric Brixton to be switched on by Felix da Housecat in September 2011 - earlybirds tickets now on sale
Brixton's infamous (and some might suggest notorious) live and clubbing scene has had its fair share of landmark venues, and still does to a degree. The Academy is probably the most well-known, partly for its bonkers sloping floor and changeable sound quality - not a good place for getting drunk in. Plan B, George IV, The Dogstar, The Windmill, Jamm, Hootenanny and Ace are all names past and present that have drawn people to the South London district in droves, offering an edgy mix of classic gig or historic night-out.
Another rave from the grave is the old Brixton Fridge, which quadrupled up as a venue, gay club (Love Muscle), trance-haven (Return to the Source) and a spawning ground for many key '80s acts, before centering more on its demographic with hip-hop, funk and the Africa Centre nights. In 2010, the place closed down and since then has been given a huge £1million state-of-the-art facelift in preparation for its next incarnation.
The Fridge is now Electric Brixton and will carry a mid-range capacity of 1500 for live shows (1700 for club nights), a spanking new stage, sound and lighting system - and more importantly gigs! The grand opening night on 24th September will be the first of them and it's a club night boasting some key names in techno-electro. Felix da Housecat will head up an all-star cast that also gathers electro-disco-house luminaries DJ Hell, Jo Jo De Freq, Tom Staar, Hannah Holland and Keith & Supabeatz. Earlybird tickets for this special event are on sale now for £15 - when they're gone, they're gone.
Other forthcoming club nights include Spectrum on 1st October with Jakwob and The Japanese Popstars amongst the line-up (£10 - £17.50), plus live gigs from Sham 69 (original 1977 line-up inc Jimmy Pursey, 29th Oct), Stiff Little Fingers (30th Oct), The Glitch Mob (5th Nov) and New Model Army (16th Dec) - many more to come. Most gigs cost around £20.
We wish Electric Brixton all the best - and here's to many more shows in the future!!
You may be interested in
- Fri 14th Dec 2018 ApparatElectric (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Dec 2018 WookiePhonox (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Wed 19th Dec 2018 and Thu 20th Dec 2018 Wolf AliceBuy Tickets
- Thu 20th Dec 2018 Terry FrancisJamm (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Wed 26th Dec 2018 General Levy, Ragga Twins, Benny Page, Ed Solo, Nicky Blackm...Jamm (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Dec 2018 MoscaJamm (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Mon 31st Dec 2018 Ants NYE, New Year's Eve PartyElectric (Brixton)More Info..
- Fri 25th Jan 2019 Ed Banger Records, SebastiAn, Breakbot, Riton, Busy PElectric (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Feb 2019 Steve AokiO2 Academy Brixton (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Mar 2019 Parov StelarO2 Academy Brixton (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Mar 2019 The Stranglers: Back on the TracksO2 Academy Brixton (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Mar 2019 Martin SolveigElectric (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 25th Apr 2019 Rival ConsolesElectric (Brixton)Buy Tickets