The Dwarves are Born Again with brand new album and UK tour for November 2011
Around the time that Grunge was starting to help loosen the grip on teenager's belts (and wallets), the iconic thrash/punk/rock Sub Pop label was reaping rewards with albums from Mudhoney, Dinosaur Jnr, Green River (later to become Pearl Jam), Soundgarden and Nirvana. Although it didn't become rich overnight, its exported bands did, once they had jumped ship to follow the dollar.
One band who may well have done themselves absolutely NO favours at all with getting a major label deal (that's if they cared, of course) were The Dwarves. Best described as garage punk/scum-punk or even just hardcore, the band took their influence from extreme performance artist, G.G.Allin, a man not afraid to, er, entertain with bodily functions, shall we say.
The album which garnered more attention for its sleeve-art than for its powerful trash-rock, was 1989/90's "Blood Guts and Pussy", an intense assemblage of potty-mouth splatter-punk and a cover emblazoned with naked women, blood and, er, a rabbit being compromised. Not surprisingly, the chain-stores banned it, proclaiming it to be all manner of things, except good taste. The Dwarves had struck a nerve and, therefore, continued to offend with similarly 'dodgy' artwork and song-titles. Well, it's tradition - and tongue-in-cheek.
Now in 2011, according to their latest album-title, "The Dwarves Are Born Again", which could mean one of two things - they've discovered God or they're back to their sleazy trashy best. Let's go with the second scenario, shall we? I can't even tell you about some of the titles, although opener "The Dwarves are the Best Band Ever" gives you an idea of their audacity.
Think they need to prove it? Check them out on tour in November to see what all the noisy fuss is about, when they start touring from London (17th) through Bristol, Manchester and more until Southampton on the 26th. Tickets cost from £10 to £13.50.
You may be interested in
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 ThumpersThe Lexington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Mar 2018 Turbonegro: Rocknroll MachineKOKO (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Mon 5th Mar 2018 to Tue 3rd Apr 2018 Flight of the Conchords: sing Flight of the Conchords TourBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Mar 2018 to Tue 13th Mar 2018 At the Drive-In, Death from Above, Le ButcherettesBuy Tickets
- Sun 11th Mar 2018 to Thu 15th Mar 2018 Damien JuradoBuy Tickets
- Sun 11th Mar 2018 and Wed 14th Mar 2018 Le ButcherettesBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Mar 2018 to Fri 23rd Mar 2018 Guitar WolfBuy Tickets
- Fri 13th Apr 2018 Undercover Festival, The Blockheads, Eddie and the Hotrods, ...Dreamland (Margate)Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Apr 2018 Undercover Festival, Sham 69 [Jimmy Pursey], Kirk Brandon, P...Dreamland (Margate)Buy Tickets
- Mon 30th Apr 2018 to Wed 2nd May 2018 METZBuy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 to Sat 23rd Feb 2019 The SkidsBuy Tickets
- Mon 28th May 2018 to Thu 31st May 2018 Frankie CosmosBuy Tickets
- Sun 17th Jun 2018 The Skids, From the Jam, Bruce FoxtonKelvingrove Park (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 30th Jun 2018 Queens of the Stone Age, Iggy Pop, Run the Jewels, The HivesFinsbury Park (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Thu 12th Jul 2018 NOS Alive, Arctic Monkeys, Nine Inch NailsPasseio Marítimo de Algés (Lisbon)Buy Tickets
- Fri 13th Jul 2018 NOS Alive, Queens of the Stone Age, The NationalPasseio Marítimo de Algés (Lisbon)Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Jul 2018 NOS Alive, Pearl Jam, Jack WhitePasseio Marítimo de Algés (Lisbon)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Sep 2018 HRH Sleaze, Backyard Babies, Tigertailz, Falling Red, Snakeb...O2 Academy Sheffield (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Thu 20th Sep 2018 to Sun 23rd Sep 2018 José González, Jesca HoopBuy Tickets