The Dwarves are Born Again with brand new album and UK tour for November 2011
Around the time that Grunge was starting to help loosen the grip on teenager's belts (and wallets), the iconic thrash/punk/rock Sub Pop label was reaping rewards with albums from Mudhoney, Dinosaur Jnr, Green River (later to become Pearl Jam), Soundgarden and Nirvana. Although it didn't become rich overnight, its exported bands did, once they had jumped ship to follow the dollar.
One band who may well have done themselves absolutely NO favours at all with getting a major label deal (that's if they cared, of course) were The Dwarves. Best described as garage punk/scum-punk or even just hardcore, the band took their influence from extreme performance artist, G.G.Allin, a man not afraid to, er, entertain with bodily functions, shall we say.
The album which garnered more attention for its sleeve-art than for its powerful trash-rock, was 1989/90's "Blood Guts and Pussy", an intense assemblage of potty-mouth splatter-punk and a cover emblazoned with naked women, blood and, er, a rabbit being compromised. Not surprisingly, the chain-stores banned it, proclaiming it to be all manner of things, except good taste. The Dwarves had struck a nerve and, therefore, continued to offend with similarly 'dodgy' artwork and song-titles. Well, it's tradition - and tongue-in-cheek.
Now in 2011, according to their latest album-title, "The Dwarves Are Born Again", which could mean one of two things - they've discovered God or they're back to their sleazy trashy best. Let's go with the second scenario, shall we? I can't even tell you about some of the titles, although opener "The Dwarves are the Best Band Ever" gives you an idea of their audacity.
Think they need to prove it? Check them out on tour in November to see what all the noisy fuss is about, when they start touring from London (17th) through Bristol, Manchester and more until Southampton on the 26th. Tickets cost from £10 to £13.50.
You may be interested in
- Fri 25th Jan 2019 to Sat 7th Dec 2019 The SkidsBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th Jan 2019 and Sat 26th Jan 2019 Skid Row, VEGA, H.E.A.T, Backyard BabiesBuy Tickets
- Tue 29th Jan 2019 to Thu 31st Jan 2019 LowBuy Tickets
- Thu 7th Feb 2019 and Fri 8th Feb 2019 Shabazz PalacesBuy Tickets
- Thu 14th Feb 2019 to Thu 21st Feb 2019 Lala LalaBuy Tickets
- Mon 1st Apr 2019 Frankie CosmosEartH [Hackney Arts Centre] (Stoke Newington)Buy Tickets
- Mon 1st Apr 2019 and Tue 2nd Apr 2019 Le ButcherettesBuy Tickets
- Thu 11th Apr 2019 to Sun 14th Apr 2019 Nick OliveriBuy Tickets
- Sun 28th Apr 2019 Undercover FestivalBoston Arms/ The Dome - Tufnell Park (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Thu 9th May 2019 to Sun 19th May 2019 J MascisBuy Tickets
- Sat 25th May 2019 Kikagaku Moyo, Wooden Shjips, WandElectric (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th May 2019 All Points East, Christine and the Queens, Metronomy, Maribo...Victoria Park (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Tue 28th May 2019 to Fri 31st May 2019 Still CornersBuy Tickets
- Wed 5th Jun 2019 Yawning Man, Alain JohannesUnderworld (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Wed 12th Jun 2019 and Thu 13th Jun 2019 Eagles of Death MetalBuy Tickets
- Wed 3rd Jul 2019 L.A. WitchDingwalls - Lock 17 (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Jul 2019 Heritage Live Summer Concerts, The Hives, The Fratellis, The...Audley End (Saffron Walden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th Oct 2019 Jesca HoopBarbican (City of London)Buy Tickets