Glasgow's No Mean City when it comes to its 2011 Blues, Country and Americana festival
There is no doubting the Scottish city's hard-bitten reputation and tough streets, but the title of this festival doesn't come from some stereotypical impression of Scottish thrift or a recent headline in a copy of The Glaswegian, but from a 1930's novel written by unemployed grafter-turned-author, Alexander McArthur. "No Mean City" is a gritty account of life in the Gorbals, one of the most resilient and run-down districts in Scotland, a true tale of gangs and violence, turf and territory - sounds familiar?
Far less terrifying and a danger to life is Glasgow's newer festival dedicated to bringing you the best in folk, roots, psychedelia and Americana over the course of a fortnight. The No Mean City Festival 2011 runs from 5th to 18th September and will feature over 50 artists from both the US and the UK, all of whom have one thing in common - a love of American roots.
Early highlights of the festival include acclaimed songwriter Ron Sexsmith, appearing at the O2 ABC on opening night (£18.50) and part of a UK tour, arty-psychedelic fuzz-rocker Kurt Vile with The Violators at The Stereo on 6th September (£10) and Nashville's angelic Caitlin Rose at the ABC2 on the 7th (£8). But if you think the bigger names have been grouped together to get things off to a top start - you'd be wrong. The whole fortnight has quality scattered all over it.
You're guaranteed a right old knees-up when Hayseed Dixie hit town on the 9th, appearing at the O2 ABC armed with favourites from their catalogue of banjoed rock-classics (£15) and, as upcoming must-see artists go, Po' Girl have more than enough in their canon to rouse the sleepiest of punters - they play the ABC2 on the 12th (£11).
The festival closes with two more big guns in the form of electro-blues/trip-hop axe-grinder, Skip MacDonald aka Little Axe at the ABC2 on 15th September (£10) and The Blockheads/Dr Feelgood guitar maestro Wilko Johnson at the same venue on the 16th (£17.50 - Ian Siegal supports). Many other acts are performing across the two weeks - scroll down for more details.
You may be interested in
- Mon 5th Nov 2018 Kurt VileConcorde 2 (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Tue 6th Nov 2018 and Wed 7th Nov 2018 Kurt VileO2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Thu 8th Nov 2018 Kurt VileSt Philip's Gate (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Fri 9th Nov 2018 Kurt VileThe Crossing [South Birmingham College] (Digbeth)Buy Tickets
- Sat 10th Nov 2018 Kurt VileAlbert Hall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 11th Nov 2018 Kurt VileO2 Academy Leeds (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Tue 13th Nov 2018 Kurt VileSWG3 (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Kurt VileVicar Street (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Thu 15th Nov 2018 Kurt VileThe Limelight 1/2 (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Fri 7th Dec 2018 Ian SiegalThe Chichester Inn (Chichester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Dec 2018 Ian SiegalStrings Bar and Venue (Newport [Isle of Wight])Buy Tickets
- Thu 28th Feb 2019 Wilko Johnson, Glenn TilbrookOpera House (Buxton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Mar 2019 Wilko JohnsonPyramid/ Parr Hall (Warrington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Mar 2019 Wilko Johnson, Glenn TilbrookDe La Warr Pavilion (Sussex)Buy Tickets
- Fri 8th Mar 2019 Wilko Johnson, Glenn TilbrookCliffs Pavilion (Southend)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Mar 2019 Wilko Johnson, Glenn TilbrookEngine Rooms (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Sun 10th Mar 2019 Wilko Johnson, Glenn TilbrookAlban Arena (St. Albans)Buy Tickets
- Wed 13th Mar 2019 Wilko Johnson, Glenn TilbrookRobin (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 14th Mar 2019 Wilko JohnsonHolmfirth Picturedrome (West Yorkshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Mar 2019 Wilko Johnson, Glenn TilbrookTyne Theatre and Opera House (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Thu 11th Apr 2019 Wilko JohnsonPrincess Alexandra Auditorium (Stockton-on-Tees)Buy Tickets
- Fri 12th Apr 2019 Wilko Johnson, Glenn TilbrookThe Queen's Hall (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Apr 2019 Wilko JohnsonFibbers (York)Buy Tickets
- Thu 25th Apr 2019 Wilko JohnsonThe Cambridge Junction (Cambridge)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Apr 2019 Wilko JohnsonTramshed (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th Apr 2019 Wilko Johnson, Glenn TilbrookCheltenham Town Hall (Cheltenham)Buy Tickets