The Average White Band are going round again - summer 2011 tour tickets available
For a generation of pop music fans, the Average White Band were the group who recorded the original of Louise Redknapp's late nineties disco cover, 'Let's Go Round Again'. As a post-Eternal Louise flapped around helplessly on the cover of lads' mags everywhere, the music of the Average White Band was giving her another top ten single and, for some, this may have been seen as AWB's finest moment.
Like the 'Average' moniker, they couldn't be more wrong. AWB are disco-soul legends who have lived - and pushed - life to the very edge. Their first taste of success came via Eric Clapton's coat tails but the Scottish six-piece (as it was) were quick to make their mark on both sides of the Atlantic.
In fact, 'Let's Go Round Again' was far from their finest hour - more of a parting shot as AWB dropped from view. Their breakthrough in America came with second album 'AWB', and how. No 1 on the Billboard Hot 100, it spawned the million-selling single 'Pick up the Pieces', also a US No 1.
There was also nothing Average about AWB's partying either, and it cost them dear. Having relocated to LA, founding members Robbie McIntosh and Alan Gorrie both overdosed on heroin at a party. McIntosh died there and then but Gorrie survived thanks to the interventions of Cher (really), who kept him conscious until paramedics arrived. That was 1974 and Gorrie still leads AWB today.
White, yes (almost blue, being Scottish) but Average? Never. AWB are funk soul disco legends and they're back on the road this summer.
AWB kick off their UK tour at The Liquid Rooms in Edinburgh on 23rd August, followed by gigs in Wolverhampton, Brighton, London (three nights at The Jazz Café) and others, before the final show of the run in Dunfermline on 4th September.
We have tickets available now for all dates, priced from just £12.50 for Newcastle to £20 for The Jazz Café gigs.
- Mon 1st Jul 2019 Average White BandRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Thu 27th Sep 2018 to Fri 28th Jun 2019 Soul Legends, LemarBuy Tickets
- Sat 6th Oct 2018 Go West, Nik Kershaw, Cutting Crew, Dr and the Medics, Leee ...The Albert Halls/ Festival Hall (Bolton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 19th Oct 2018 to Sat 1st Dec 2018 Soul II SoulBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Oct 2018 to Sat 26th Oct 2019 The Real ThingBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Oct 2018 to Thu 29th Nov 2018 Jo HarmanBuy Tickets
- Sun 21st Oct 2018 to Fri 2nd Nov 2018 David Byrne, Benjamin Clementine: American UtopiaBuy Tickets
- Fri 26th Oct 2018 to Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Marc Almond...Buy Tickets
- Mon 29th Oct 2018 HeatwaveJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Mon 5th Nov 2018 Zoe Francis, Jim MullenPerth Theatre (Perth)Buy Tickets
- Sun 11th Nov 2018 Hot ChocolateThe Albert Hall (Nottingham)Buy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 to Fri 30th Nov 2018 The Stylistics, Odyssey: 50th Anniversary TourBuy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 and Tue 27th Nov 2018 ShalamarBuy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 Soul II Soul, The Brand New HeaviesArena MK (Milton Keynes)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 to Fri 8th Feb 2019 Brutus Gold's Love TrainBuy Tickets
- Sat 8th Dec 2018 to Wed 12th Dec 2018 Courtney Pine, Omar: Black Notes from the DeepBuy Tickets
- Wed 12th Dec 2018 to Sun 16th Dec 2018 Paul McCartney: Freshen UpBuy Tickets
- Thu 13th Dec 2018 to Wed 19th Dec 2018 Chic, Nile RodgersBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 Boney M, OdysseyO2 Guildhall (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 20th Dec 2018 Boney MThe Dome (Doncaster)Buy Tickets
- Thu 17th Jan 2019 London Blues Week, Jo Harman: Sugaray Rayford100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Wed 13th Feb 2019 to Fri 22nd Feb 2019 Lamont Dozier, Jo HarmanBuy Tickets
- Thu 21st Mar 2019 to Sun 24th Mar 2019 40 Years of Disco, Village People, The Trammps, Imagination ...Buy Tickets
- Fri 3rd May 2019 Leo Sayer: Just a Boy at 70Union Chapel (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Jun 2019 to Mon 1st Jul 2019 Gladys KnightBuy Tickets