See Dominic West in Butley from just £12.50 - offer ends 27th August 2011!
Following his turn as hedonistic alcoholic cop Jimmy McNulty in HBO's 'The Wire', it came as a surprise to many to learn that the man behind McNulty was in fact a very well spoken English actor called Dominic West.
As we marvelled at his skilful delivery of a hardcore Baltimore accent, he revealed - in fifties' BBC announcer Received Pronunciation - that the only way he could manage the drawl was to stick to the script and the voice coach's instructions 100 per cent, terrified of deviating and ruining the take. He admitted he'd be much more at home playing an Englishman.
Since then, he's played, among others, serial killer Fred West (no relation), BBC reporter Hector Madden in BBC2 drama 'The Hour' and is currently appearing in a revival of Simon Gray's play 'Butley' at London's Duchess Theatre.
As much as these English roles suit West, many things do translate from Jimmy McNulty- the apparent sense of fun and mischief, that rakish smile and the glint in his eye. All very much in evidence as Ben Butley, the sharp-tongued (check), alcoholic (check), womanising (check) English lecturer (check!) in Gray's 1971 play.
Ben Butley is having an awful day at the start of term. He learns that his wife is divorcing him and his best friend deserting him. As his world unravels, he resorts to mischief making and his own derailed sense of irony to wreak havoc. The role is made for Dominic West and 'Butley' has enjoyed excellent reviews. An excellent support cast includes Paul McCann.
With the run coming to a close at the end of August, we have a special offer on tickets, but you'll have to be quick.
The special offer is a saving of a third on £49.50 tickets, now available for just £34.25 for selected performances. In addition, Thursday matinee performances - also normally £49.50 - are available for an incredible £12.50. Standard price tickets are available from £26.
To check availability, click on the Book This Offer button, below.
- Book This Offer
You may be interested in
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Fri 15th Jun 2018 QuizBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Tue 24th Jul 2018 The Book of MormonBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Wed 25th Jul 2018 Young FrankensteinBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Sat 9th Jun 2018 3WomenBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Fri 1st Jun 2018 H.R. HaitchBuy Tickets
- Tue 22nd May 2018 to Fri 13th Jul 2018 An Ideal HusbandBuy Tickets
- Tue 22nd May 2018 to Wed 25th Jul 2018 The Comedy About a Bank RobberyBuy Tickets
- Tue 22nd May 2018 to Tue 24th Jul 2018 The Play That Goes WrongBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Wed 25th Jul 2018 TartuffeBuy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 MojoJagz (Ascot)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged)Whitley Bay Playhouse (Whitley Bay)Buy Tickets
- Thu 31st May 2018 to Thu 21st Jun 2018 My Dad Wrote a Porno - LiveBuy Tickets
- Fri 8th Jun 2018 Mum's The WordBasement Theatre (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Jun 2018 The RivalsPalladium Club (Bideford)Buy Tickets
- Tue 12th Jun 2018 to Wed 25th Jul 2018 Heathers The MusicalBuy Tickets
- Sat 16th Jun 2018 to Sat 23rd Jun 2018 Lord Arthur Savile's CrimeBuy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Jun 2018 Mortified LiveLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Jun 2018 to Wed 25th Jul 2018 The Lieutenant of Inishmore, Michael Grandage CompanyBuy Tickets
- Wed 11th Jul 2018 One Man, Two GuvnorsJohn Peel Centre for Creative Arts (Suffolk)Buy Tickets