See Dominic West in Butley from just £12.50 - offer ends 27th August 2011!
Following his turn as hedonistic alcoholic cop Jimmy McNulty in HBO's 'The Wire', it came as a surprise to many to learn that the man behind McNulty was in fact a very well spoken English actor called Dominic West.
As we marvelled at his skilful delivery of a hardcore Baltimore accent, he revealed - in fifties' BBC announcer Received Pronunciation - that the only way he could manage the drawl was to stick to the script and the voice coach's instructions 100 per cent, terrified of deviating and ruining the take. He admitted he'd be much more at home playing an Englishman.
Since then, he's played, among others, serial killer Fred West (no relation), BBC reporter Hector Madden in BBC2 drama 'The Hour' and is currently appearing in a revival of Simon Gray's play 'Butley' at London's Duchess Theatre.
As much as these English roles suit West, many things do translate from Jimmy McNulty- the apparent sense of fun and mischief, that rakish smile and the glint in his eye. All very much in evidence as Ben Butley, the sharp-tongued (check), alcoholic (check), womanising (check) English lecturer (check!) in Gray's 1971 play.
Ben Butley is having an awful day at the start of term. He learns that his wife is divorcing him and his best friend deserting him. As his world unravels, he resorts to mischief making and his own derailed sense of irony to wreak havoc. The role is made for Dominic West and 'Butley' has enjoyed excellent reviews. An excellent support cast includes Paul McCann.
With the run coming to a close at the end of August, we have a special offer on tickets, but you'll have to be quick.
The special offer is a saving of a third on £49.50 tickets, now available for just £34.25 for selected performances. In addition, Thursday matinee performances - also normally £49.50 - are available for an incredible £12.50. Standard price tickets are available from £26.
To check availability, click on the Book This Offer button, below.
- Book This Offer
You may be interested in
- Sun 25th Feb 2018 to Fri 25th May 2018 The Comedy About a Bank RobberyBuy Tickets
- Sun 25th Feb 2018 to Sat 21st Jul 2018 The Play That Goes WrongBuy Tickets
- Mon 26th Feb 2018 to Sat 3rd Mar 2018 Again [play]Buy Tickets
- Mon 26th Feb 2018 to Fri 27th Apr 2018 The Book of MormonBuy Tickets
- Tue 6th Mar 2018 Up 'n UnderThe Lowry (Salford)Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Mar 2018 Steptoe and SonDarwen Library Theatre (Blackburn)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Mar 2018 and Sat 23rd Jun 2018 Mortified LiveBuy Tickets
- Mon 26th Mar 2018 to Sat 14th Apr 2018 Quartet [play]Buy Tickets
- Sat 31st Mar 2018 to Fri 15th Jun 2018 QuizBuy Tickets
- Mon 16th Apr 2018 to Thu 21st Jun 2018 My Dad Wrote a Porno - LiveBuy Tickets
- Fri 20th Apr 2018 to Fri 13th Jul 2018 An Ideal HusbandBuy Tickets
- Sun 6th May 2018 to Sun 20th May 2018 One Woman Sex and The CityBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Fri 27th Jul 2018 TartuffeBuy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged)Whitley Bay Playhouse (Whitley Bay)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Jun 2018 to Sat 23rd Jun 2018 Lord Arthur Savile's CrimeBuy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Jun 2018 to Thu 2nd Aug 2018 The Lieutenant of Inishmore, Michael Grandage CompanyBuy Tickets
- Fri 3rd Aug 2018 The Lieutenant of InishmoreNoel Coward Theatre (London)Buy Tickets