See Dominic West in Butley from just £12.50 - offer ends 27th August 2011!
Following his turn as hedonistic alcoholic cop Jimmy McNulty in HBO's 'The Wire', it came as a surprise to many to learn that the man behind McNulty was in fact a very well spoken English actor called Dominic West.
As we marvelled at his skilful delivery of a hardcore Baltimore accent, he revealed - in fifties' BBC announcer Received Pronunciation - that the only way he could manage the drawl was to stick to the script and the voice coach's instructions 100 per cent, terrified of deviating and ruining the take. He admitted he'd be much more at home playing an Englishman.
Since then, he's played, among others, serial killer Fred West (no relation), BBC reporter Hector Madden in BBC2 drama 'The Hour' and is currently appearing in a revival of Simon Gray's play 'Butley' at London's Duchess Theatre.
As much as these English roles suit West, many things do translate from Jimmy McNulty- the apparent sense of fun and mischief, that rakish smile and the glint in his eye. All very much in evidence as Ben Butley, the sharp-tongued (check), alcoholic (check), womanising (check) English lecturer (check!) in Gray's 1971 play.
Ben Butley is having an awful day at the start of term. He learns that his wife is divorcing him and his best friend deserting him. As his world unravels, he resorts to mischief making and his own derailed sense of irony to wreak havoc. The role is made for Dominic West and 'Butley' has enjoyed excellent reviews. An excellent support cast includes Paul McCann.
With the run coming to a close at the end of August, we have a special offer on tickets, but you'll have to be quick.
The special offer is a saving of a third on £49.50 tickets, now available for just £34.25 for selected performances. In addition, Thursday matinee performances - also normally £49.50 - are available for an incredible £12.50. Standard price tickets are available from £26.
To check availability, click on the Book This Offer button, below.
- Book This Offer
You may be interested in
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 to Sat 1st Dec 2018 The Wipers TimesBuy Tickets
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 to Thu 21st Feb 2019 The Comedy About a Bank RobberyBuy Tickets
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 to Wed 20th Feb 2019 The Play That Goes WrongBuy Tickets
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 to Sat 24th Nov 2018 Heathers The MusicalBuy Tickets
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 to Sat 2nd Feb 2019 The Book of MormonBuy Tickets
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 to Sat 8th Dec 2018 Cuckoo [Lisa Carroll]Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 and Sat 17th Nov 2018 Lord Arthur Savile's CrimeBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 to Fri 15th Feb 2019 True West [West End]Buy Tickets
- Mon 26th Nov 2018 to Sat 5th Jan 2019 The Messiah [Patrick Barlow]Buy Tickets
- Thu 6th Dec 2018 to Sat 19th Jan 2019 Chasing BonoBuy Tickets
- Tue 18th Dec 2018 to Sun 23rd Dec 2018 Christmas with Steptoe and SonBuy Tickets
- Thu 10th Jan 2019 to Thu 21st Feb 2019 Abigail's PartyBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th Jan 2019 to Thu 21st Feb 2019 The Cripple of InishmaanBuy Tickets
- Mon 28th Jan 2019 and Thu 7th Feb 2019 Hancock's Half HourBuy Tickets
- Mon 11th Feb 2019 to Thu 21st Feb 2019 Only Fools And Horses - The MusicalBuy Tickets