See Dominic West in Butley from just £12.50 - offer ends 27th August 2011!
Following his turn as hedonistic alcoholic cop Jimmy McNulty in HBO's 'The Wire', it came as a surprise to many to learn that the man behind McNulty was in fact a very well spoken English actor called Dominic West.
As we marvelled at his skilful delivery of a hardcore Baltimore accent, he revealed - in fifties' BBC announcer Received Pronunciation - that the only way he could manage the drawl was to stick to the script and the voice coach's instructions 100 per cent, terrified of deviating and ruining the take. He admitted he'd be much more at home playing an Englishman.
Since then, he's played, among others, serial killer Fred West (no relation), BBC reporter Hector Madden in BBC2 drama 'The Hour' and is currently appearing in a revival of Simon Gray's play 'Butley' at London's Duchess Theatre.
As much as these English roles suit West, many things do translate from Jimmy McNulty- the apparent sense of fun and mischief, that rakish smile and the glint in his eye. All very much in evidence as Ben Butley, the sharp-tongued (check), alcoholic (check), womanising (check) English lecturer (check!) in Gray's 1971 play.
Ben Butley is having an awful day at the start of term. He learns that his wife is divorcing him and his best friend deserting him. As his world unravels, he resorts to mischief making and his own derailed sense of irony to wreak havoc. The role is made for Dominic West and 'Butley' has enjoyed excellent reviews. An excellent support cast includes Paul McCann.
With the run coming to a close at the end of August, we have a special offer on tickets, but you'll have to be quick.
The special offer is a saving of a third on £49.50 tickets, now available for just £34.25 for selected performances. In addition, Thursday matinee performances - also normally £49.50 - are available for an incredible £12.50. Standard price tickets are available from £26.
To check availability, click on the Book This Offer button, below.
- Book This Offer
You may be interested in
- Sun 19th Aug 2018 to Fri 21st Dec 2018 The Comedy About a Bank RobberyBuy Tickets
- Sun 19th Aug 2018 to Fri 21st Dec 2018 The Play That Goes WrongBuy Tickets
- Sun 19th Aug 2018 to Fri 7th Sep 2018 SpamiltonBuy Tickets
- Mon 20th Aug 2018 to Fri 7th Sep 2018 The Lieutenant of Inishmore, Michael Grandage CompanyBuy Tickets
- Mon 20th Aug 2018 to Fri 28th Sep 2018 Young FrankensteinBuy Tickets
- Mon 20th Aug 2018 to Sat 1st Sep 2018 Silk Road (How to Buy Drugs Online)Buy Tickets
- Thu 23rd Aug 2018 to Thu 13th Sep 2018 51 Shades of MaggieBuy Tickets
- Sun 26th Aug 2018 Secret Affair, The Truth [play], The Truth [Dennis Greaves]The Old Market (Hove)Buy Tickets
- Tue 28th Aug 2018 My Dad Wrote a Porno - LiveVicar Street (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Wed 29th Aug 2018 to Sun 7th Oct 2018 Early Doors LiveBuy Tickets
- Tue 4th Sep 2018 to Sat 8th Sep 2018 Charley's AuntBuy Tickets
- Sat 8th Sep 2018 to Sat 15th Sep 2018 Taking StepsBuy Tickets
- Sat 8th Sep 2018 Duncan Reid and the Big Heads, Billy Liar, Mr ShirazThe New Cross Inn (New Cross)Buy Tickets
- Sun 9th Sep 2018 to Tue 11th Sep 2018 Funny MoneyBuy Tickets
- Sun 30th Sep 2018 to Sat 3rd Nov 2018 Private Parts LiveBuy Tickets
- Thu 4th Oct 2018 The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged)Whitley Bay Playhouse (Whitley Bay)Buy Tickets
- Tue 16th Oct 2018 to Fri 30th Nov 2018 The Wipers TimesBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Oct 2018 Mortified LiveLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Wed 31st Oct 2018 to Sat 3rd Nov 2018 The Addams FamilyBuy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Nov 2018 to Tue 6th Nov 2018 Bridget Jones' Diary In Concert - Film With Live OrchestraBuy Tickets
- Thu 8th Nov 2018 Withering LooksCygnet Theatre (Exeter)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 to Fri 21st Dec 2018 True West [West End]Buy Tickets