Get your kids into deep water - take them to the Sealife London Aquarium, now booking until 2013!
Mention fish to many children and they'll either bounce around with glee at the thought of the bread-crumbed finger-shaped variety, or salivate (as I am doing) at the prospect of a Friday night's chippy tea, topped-off with a big old chunk of battered cod. But, to adapt a well-known welfare campaign strap-line, fish are also for the oceans, not just dinner.
At an aquarium, I can guarantee 99% of youngsters will, at some point, look excitedly aghast at some of the creatures swimming and lurking in the 'rocky' surroundings - I certainly did during my first trip to one, which was the London Zoo Aquarium many years ago.
Nowadays, the capital's flagship piscatorial palace, the London Sealife Aquarium to give it its full name, sits proudly within the old County Hall near Waterloo and Westminster tubes and welcomes around 1 million visitors a year - that's a lot of fishy fans, out there.
There are over 500 species from all over the globe, including 40 sharks, some of which you can have swimming below you as you walk across a special glass bottomed walkway!! There are interactive feeding times throughout the day, as well as diving displays and touching pools. 3 floors of sea-life right in the centre of London is going to impress even the most-hardened of sulkies!! They've even got penguins - and everybody loves penguins, right?
Despite its enormous popularity, there are pretty much always tickets available and the centre is now booking until 2013. For the 2011 summer holidays, there are also tickets available priced at £17 for adults, £12 for 3 to 15 year olds or £14 for students and disabled customers, Kids under 3 go free! Your visit will take over an hour, with last entry during the summer being 7pm.
NB - The aquarium does advise that you visit from mid- afternoon, if you are bringing buggies and younger children - this is due to the sheer numbers of tourists in the first half of the day.
You may be interested in
- Tue 25th Jun 2019 to Fri 27th Sep 2019 Kew GardensBuy Tickets
- Tue 25th Jun 2019 to Fri 27th Sep 2019 London Zoo - AdmissionBuy Tickets
- Tue 25th Jun 2019 to Fri 27th Sep 2019 Whipsnade Zoo AdmissionBuy Tickets
- Tue 25th Jun 2019 to Tue 23rd Jul 2019 Ice SkatingBuy Tickets
- Fri 28th Jun 2019 to Fri 30th Aug 2019 Lambeth Palace TourBuy Tickets
- Sat 29th Jun 2019 to Fri 27th Sep 2019 Day Out With Thomas, Thomas The Tank Engine & FriendsBuy Tickets
- Sat 29th Jun 2019 to Sat 21st Sep 2019 Houses of Parliament VisitBuy Tickets
- Sat 29th Jun 2019 to Sat 21st Sep 2019 Theatre TourBuy Tickets
- Sat 6th Jul 2019 to Sat 10th Aug 2019 The Battle Proms ConcertBuy Tickets
- Wed 10th Jul 2019 to Sun 1st Sep 2019 Luna Kids: The Gruffalo, Highway Rat, ZogBuy Tickets
- Sat 13th Jul 2019 to Sun 18th Aug 2019 My First Day Out With ThomasBuy Tickets
- Thu 18th Jul 2019 to Sun 1st Sep 2019 Dinosaur World LiveBuy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Aug 2019 and Sun 4th Aug 2019 CBBC Summer SocialBuy Tickets
- Sat 31st Aug 2019 and Sun 1st Sep 2019 Shackerstone FestivalBuy Tickets
- Sat 14th Sep 2019 BBC Proms in the Park, Barry Manilow, Chrissie Hynde, Jack S...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets