Get your kids into deep water - take them to the Sealife London Aquarium, now booking until 2013!
Mention fish to many children and they'll either bounce around with glee at the thought of the bread-crumbed finger-shaped variety, or salivate (as I am doing) at the prospect of a Friday night's chippy tea, topped-off with a big old chunk of battered cod. But, to adapt a well-known welfare campaign strap-line, fish are also for the oceans, not just dinner.
At an aquarium, I can guarantee 99% of youngsters will, at some point, look excitedly aghast at some of the creatures swimming and lurking in the 'rocky' surroundings - I certainly did during my first trip to one, which was the London Zoo Aquarium many years ago.
Nowadays, the capital's flagship piscatorial palace, the London Sealife Aquarium to give it its full name, sits proudly within the old County Hall near Waterloo and Westminster tubes and welcomes around 1 million visitors a year - that's a lot of fishy fans, out there.
There are over 500 species from all over the globe, including 40 sharks, some of which you can have swimming below you as you walk across a special glass bottomed walkway!! There are interactive feeding times throughout the day, as well as diving displays and touching pools. 3 floors of sea-life right in the centre of London is going to impress even the most-hardened of sulkies!! They've even got penguins - and everybody loves penguins, right?
Despite its enormous popularity, there are pretty much always tickets available and the centre is now booking until 2013. For the 2011 summer holidays, there are also tickets available priced at £17 for adults, £12 for 3 to 15 year olds or £14 for students and disabled customers, Kids under 3 go free! Your visit will take over an hour, with last entry during the summer being 7pm.
NB - The aquarium does advise that you visit from mid- afternoon, if you are bringing buggies and younger children - this is due to the sheer numbers of tourists in the first half of the day.
You may be interested in
- Sat 23rd Jun 2018 to Wed 31st Oct 2018 Kew GardensBuy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Jun 2018 to Sat 1st Dec 2018 Theatre TourBuy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Jun 2018 Seven Dials SoundtrackSeven Dials (Covent Garden)More Info..
- Sat 23rd Jun 2018 to Tue 31st Jul 2018 Ice SkatingBuy Tickets
- Thu 28th Jun 2018 to Sat 6th Oct 2018 Dinosaur World LiveBuy Tickets
- Sat 30th Jun 2018 to Mon 27th May 2019 Geronimo FestivalBuy Tickets
- Sat 30th Jun 2018 to Sun 28th Oct 2018 Day Out With Thomas, Thomas The Tank Engine & FriendsBuy Tickets
- Sat 7th Jul 2018 to Sat 11th Aug 2018 The Battle Proms Concert, New English Concert OrchestraBuy Tickets
- Sat 7th Jul 2018 to Sun 11th Nov 2018 My First Day Out With ThomasBuy Tickets
- Fri 13th Jul 2018 to Tue 30th Oct 2018 Madame TussaudsBuy Tickets
- Wed 25th Jul 2018 to Tue 4th Sep 2018 Luna KidsBuy Tickets
- Wed 1st Aug 2018 HMS Raleigh Open DayHMS Raleigh (Cornwall)More Info..
- Fri 3rd Aug 2018 to Sun 5th Aug 2018 CBBC Summer SocialBuy Tickets
- Fri 3rd Aug 2018 to Mon 27th Aug 2018 Dragon SlayerBuy Tickets
- Sat 8th Sep 2018 BBC Proms in the ParkHyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets