Backbeat, the story of the 'Fifth Beatle', is back - and now booking to March 2012
Back in the early sixties, the Beatles were a five-piece skiffle/blues covers band featuring John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, bassist Stuart Sutcliffe and drummer Pete Best. Both Sutcliffe and Best legitimately lay claim to the sobriquet 'The Fifth Beatle' although in 1960, one or the other must have been the fourth.
The five-piece famously visited Germany regularly between '60 and '63, playing the smoky clubs of Hamburg and honing their style. It was during one Hamburg trip that Stuart Sutcliffe met photographer Astrid Kirchherr (who took some famous shots of the band) and fell in love.
The pair were later engaged and Sutcliffe began to feel more at home amid the German art scene than his native Liverpool and, in 1961, he left The Beatles. Paul McCartney picked up the bass and five became four. Subsequently, Pete Best would be sacked from the band and replaced with Ringo Starr, the 'sixth Beatle'.
Sutcliffe was never to fully appreciate the role he had in The Beatles as, just seven months after leaving - and before the band's late '62 breakthrough with 'Love Me Do' - he died. Sutcliffe's new passions had been art and his fiancée, and it was while studying the former in the home city of the latter that he started getting severe headaches and collapsed. After a brief recovery, he later died at Astrid Kirchherr's parents' house due to a brain aneurysm. He was just 21.
Sutcliffe's death is said to have haunted Lennon throughout his life but, for the public, the tale of the Fifth Beatle was a matter of backstory and a footnote to the headlines of Beatlemania, Sergeant Pepper, John and Yoko, Revolver and being 'bigger than Jesus'.
In 1994, the film Backbeat sought to shed some light on the band's pre-fame days and was an acclaimed study of the relationship between Sutcliffe, Lennon and Kirchherr with the inevitable musical soundtrack. The musical does not feature any original Beatles material however, focussing instead on the blues and rock'n'roll covers the band performed in the early days.
The tragic tale of Stuart Sutcliffe and the uplifting broader story of The Beatles made for a poignant, bittersweet tale that struck chords with audiences, although it was reported that neither Paul McCartney nor George Harrison liked it. One suspects John Lennon may have approved of his friend's tale being so affectionately told.
Seventeen years later, Backbeat is returning as a stage show, retold by the original writer and director of the film, Iain Softley. Backbeat premiered at Glasgow's Citizen's Theatre in 2010 and the production now moves to the West End in the autumn.
Backbeat is playing at the Duke of York's Theatre from 24th September 2011, booking until 24th March 2012.
We have tickets for all shows available now, priced £55 for weeknight performances and £57.50 for Friday and Saturday night shows.
You may be interested in
- Tue 21st May 2019 to Sat 8th Jun 2019 The Rutles: Get Up and Go AgainBuy Tickets
- Wed 22nd May 2019 to Sat 25th May 2019 Let It BeBuy Tickets
- Wed 22nd May 2019 Mike MasséRobin (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 23rd May 2019 to Sat 4th Apr 2020 The Magic of the BeatlesBuy Tickets
- Thu 23rd May 2019 Amy RigbyThe Prince Albert (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th May 2019 DlugokeckiGuildhall (Portsmouth)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th May 2019 and Sat 22nd Jun 2019 Imagine... the BeatlesBuy Tickets
- Fri 31st May 2019 to Fri 8th May 2020 The Bootleg BeatlesBuy Tickets
- Fri 7th Jun 2019 to Wed 10th Jul 2019 Nell BrydenBuy Tickets
- Fri 21st Jun 2019 to Sat 6th Jul 2019 The Beach BoysBuy Tickets
- Thu 4th Jul 2019 to Fri 12th Jul 2019 The Grand SlamboviansBuy Tickets
- Sun 7th Jul 2019 Cornbury Festival, The Beach Boys, Paul Carrack, Alfie Boe, ...The Great Tew Park (Oxfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Tue 9th Jul 2019 to Fri 29th Nov 2019 Mersey BeatlesBuy Tickets
- Fri 19th Jul 2019 AnathemaThe Dome/ Grand Central Hall (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Jul 2019 Ramblin' Man Fair, Black Stone Cherry, Cheap Trick, Anathema...Mote Park (Maidstone)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Jul 2019 and Sat 28th Dec 2019 The Beatles for SaleBuy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Aug 2019 to Fri 30th Aug 2019 The OverturesBuy Tickets
- Tue 17th Sep 2019 and Wed 18th Sep 2019 Benji KirkpatrickBuy Tickets
- Fri 20th Sep 2019 to Thu 7th Nov 2019 The Upbeat BeatlesBuy Tickets
- Wed 25th Sep 2019 to Tue 8th Oct 2019 All You Need Is Love in ConcertBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th Sep 2019 and Sat 18th Jan 2020 The Vox BeatlesBuy Tickets
- Thu 17th Oct 2019 And In The End...: The Bootleg Beatles, Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra,...Royal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th Oct 2019 to Sat 2nd Nov 2019 Camille O'SullivanBuy Tickets
- Sat 26th Oct 2019 and Sat 16th Nov 2019 The Fab BeatlesBuy Tickets
- Sat 9th Nov 2019 BeatlemaniaSt James Church Weybridge (Weybridge)Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Dec 2019 The Sheffield Beatles ProjectO2 Academy Sheffield (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Wed 6th May 2020 And in the End...: The Bootleg Beatles, Royal Liverpool Philharmonic OrchestraThe Sage (Gateshead)Buy Tickets