Conversations with Penn & Teller - London dates announced for December 2011
After first appearing in our green unpleasant land in the late eighties, Penn & Teller soon disappeared back to the vast skies of home, preferring instead to appear in a huge number of US TV shows and undertake a phenomenally successful (and long) Las Vegas residency. And who wouldn't.
The illusionists and comedians have been appearing at the Rio Hotel and Casino six nights a week for a decade, with only short breaks for touring and recording. If anything, Penn & Teller got too big for the UK; their audience was on Broadway, in Vegas, on Letterman and in Springfield (they've appeared in The Simpsons twice).
When the duo first popped-up on Channel 4 twenty years ago, their dark, gory 'alternative' comedy fitted well with the network's challenging remit. Two decades after Penn & Teller's antics were scheduled post-watershed on a channel (then) perceived as something of a liberal arty luxury, they were reborn as the family entertainment of choice on prime time Saturday mainstream telly with 2011 ITV show 'Penn & Teller: Fool Us'.
Admittedly, the programme is more of a talent magic show than a Penn & Teller showcase, with contestants attempting to fool the two stars with their own sleight of hand and trickery. Any able to hoodwink the Americans are rewarded with a trip to Vegas where they will open a night of Penn & Teller's residency at the Rio.
All of which means that Penn & Teller are bigger than ever. Last summer's short residency at the Hammersmith Apollo was a success and they're returning to London with two more gigs this winter. The new show, titled 'Conversations with Penn & Teller - 35 Years of Magic and Bullshit', is described as an 'evening of candid discussion, audience Q&A, video clips and some classic Penn & Teller tricks performed live'.
The pair will be appearing at the IndigO2 on Wednesday 7th and Thursday 8th December. We will have tickets for both nights when they go on sale at 9AM on Friday 5th August, priced from £27.50 to £33.50.
They will sell out before you can say 'you can see the wires'.
You may be interested in
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Andy Askins, Danny McLoughlinAlexander's Live (Chester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 to Tue 20th Nov 2018 The Magic CircleBuy Tickets
- Sun 24th Jun 2018 Javier Jarquin - Card NinjaThe Belly (Waterloo)Buy Tickets
- Wed 27th Jun 2018 to Thu 25th Oct 2018 High JinxBuy Tickets
- Fri 29th Jun 2018 to Fri 28th Dec 2018 The Gentleman Cheater Magic ShowBuy Tickets
- Fri 29th Jun 2018 to Sun 16th Dec 2018 Jimmy CarrBuy Tickets
- Fri 29th Jun 2018 Markus Birdman, Brendon BurnsAlexander's Live (Chester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 1st Jul 2018 Tom Wrigglesworth, Andy Askins, Brendan RileyChester Cathedral (Chester)Buy Tickets
- Mon 2nd Jul 2018 to Wed 4th Jul 2018 Derren BrownBuy Tickets
- Sat 7th Jul 2018 to Sun 26th Aug 2018 Morgan and West's Utterly Spiffing Spectacular Magic Show Fo...Buy Tickets
- Tue 17th Jul 2018 to Wed 24th Oct 2018 Mark JamesBuy Tickets
- Sat 21st Jul 2018 Andy Askins, Brendan RileyThe Bentley (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Wed 1st Aug 2018 to Sun 25th Nov 2018 The Magic CavernBuy Tickets
- Tue 7th Aug 2018 to Sat 25th Aug 2018 Frankie BoyleBuy Tickets
- Sat 11th Aug 2018 to Sat 29th Sep 2018 The League of Gentlemen Live Again!Buy Tickets
- Thu 23rd Aug 2018 to Tue 18th Dec 2018 Kevin BridgesBuy Tickets
- Mon 27th Aug 2018 Piff the Magic DragonThe Comedy Store (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Sep 2018 to Sat 10th Nov 2018 Pete FirmanBuy Tickets
- Sat 29th Sep 2018 Craig CampbellLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Sep 2018 Jamie RavenTyne Theatre and Opera House (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Oct 2018 Britain's Got MagicWilliam Aston Hall - Glyndwr University [NEWI] (Wrexham)Buy Tickets
- Sun 7th Oct 2018 Graham NortonRoyal Northern College of Music (RNCM) (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Nov 2018 Lydia LunchMoth Club (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Tue 6th Nov 2018 Russell Brand: Re:BirthOpera House (Blackpool)Buy Tickets
- Wed 13th Mar 2019 to Sat 8th Jun 2019 Julian ClaryBuy Tickets