Van Morrison announces autumn 2011 UK dates - tickets available Friday 22nd July
Posted: 20th July 2011
Blues rock legend Van Morrison has announced two UK shows for the autumn. Van 'The Man' will be playing the Birmingham Symphony Hall on Friday 2nd September and the Liverpool Empire the following evening.
The gigs come nearly a year after his last solo UK show at the Royal Albert Hall, although London audiences did get the opportunity to see the great man at the Fèis 2011 festival in Finsbury Park in June this year.
George Ivan Morrison has volume upon volume dedicated to his greatness. Said to be stubborn and moody, yet undeniably brilliant, Van Morrison's influence on rock and blues music cannot be overstated. His albums 'Astral Weeks' and 'Moondance', released in 1968 and 1970 respectively, are both ranked among the best of all time. The two LPs also serve to highlight the artist's mercurial nature.
'Astral Weeks' attracted critical acclaim for its ambition and genre-busting creativity but the record's melancholy was less appealing to the music-buying public who needed years, even decades, to warm to its charms. Moondance, by contrast, was comparatively straightforward, bright and lively and quickly became Van the Man's first million-selling album.
Forty albums in 40 years offer most music fans something to love about Van Morrison and his live shows have a reputation for thrilling and surprising.
If you're lucky enough to get a ticket, you'll be treated to some of the finest rock, pop and blues songs ever recorded, including 'Moondance', 'Jackie Wilson Said', 'Gloria', 'Bright Side of the Road' and, Van's 1967 debut hit, 'Brown Eyed Girl'.
We will have tickets for the two autumn shows from 9AM on Friday 22nd July, priced from around £45. They will sell very quickly so set two alarms.
Update: 22nd September 2011
Since we last reported on Van Morrison's September shows (tonight's Bristol gig is still available, by the way - £45 - £85), the Irish songwriting legend has announced a further two shows in the North West of England. First stop is Blackpool's Opera House on 11th November, followed by Manchester's Bridgewater Hall on the 12th. Tickets will go on sale from tomorrow morning (23rd Sep), priced from £49.50 upwards.
- Wed 23rd Sep 2020 Van Morrison London Palladium (Westminster) Buy Tickets
- Thu 24th Sep 2020 Van Morrison London Palladium (Westminster) Buy Tickets
- Tue 17th Nov 2020 Van Morrison London Palladium (Westminster) Buy Tickets
- Wed 18th Nov 2020 Van Morrison London Palladium (Westminster) Buy Tickets
- Fri 20th Nov 2020 Van Morrison London Palladium (Westminster) Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Nov 2020 Van Morrison London Palladium (Westminster) Buy Tickets
- Tue 3rd Aug 2021 Summer Nights at the Bandstand, Van Morrison Kelvingrove Park (Glasgow) Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Aug 2021 Van Morrison, The Waterboys Audley End (Saffron Walden) Buy Tickets