Check out the further adventures of The Saw Doctors - huge autumn 2011 UK tour just announced
The Irish music scene has spawned many revered and best-selling acts over the past few decades - U2 are a global brand these days, The Dubliners, The Chieftains and The Pogues have made many men's eyes moist with tales of drunken nights and irresistible jigs and you can't discount the boy bands Boyzone and Westlife from the equation either. There has been Jedward, but hey, no-one's perfect. I'll bet Van Morrison, Thin Lizzy and The Undertones would beat them in a karaoke competition, that's if Van doesn't run them over first.
For me personally, it's also been about the superb rock and indie bands that have failed to extend their fan-base beyond Ireland - we just didn't 'get' them over here in the UK. Into Paradise, Blue In Heaven, Cactus World News and That Petrol Emotion all had a stab at success in the '80s and '90s, but to no avail - as indeed did these boys...
Incredibly popular in their Irish homeland, The Saw Doctors' brand of rebel-rousing folk-rock has passed many Brits by. One of their members has actually tasted some UK success - Anthony Thistlethwaite appeared on The Waterboys' key songs by playing that soaring saxophone on "A Girl Called Johnny" and "The Whole of the Moon" (as well as bass guitar), as well as their early albums. But otherwise, apart from the debut album "If This Is Rock And Roll, I Want My Old Job Back" (which had Mike Scott as a guest), the bands' star hasn't shone quite as bright as it has in Ireland.
However, they can sell out venues at the strike of a fiddle and their late autumn tour will no doubt attract fans and new converts alike. First stop is Leeds on 25th Nov and after a double-date bash in at the Shepherd's Bush Empire in December and more regional shows, the last stop is Manchester on 17th Dec. Prices are £21 upwards (£22.50 for London) and you can buy tickets from us for Edinburgh, Newcastle, Exeter, Salisbury and Sheffield now. The remainder will be available from Friday 8th July at 9am. Expect tracks from their 2010 album "The Further Adventures Of..." and new songs.
You may be interested in
- Thu 26th Apr 2018 to Sat 30th Jun 2018 The WaterboysBuy Tickets
- Sat 28th Apr 2018 The StunningNells Jazz and Blues (Kensington and Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Sun 29th Apr 2018 to Sun 26th Aug 2018 Eddi ReaderBuy Tickets
- Thu 17th May 2018 to Sat 24th Nov 2018 Ian McNabbBuy Tickets
- Tue 12th Jun 2018 to Sun 16th Sep 2018 RiverdanceBuy Tickets
- Fri 15th Jun 2018 and Sun 2nd Sep 2018 Heritage Live Summer Concerts, Hacienda ClassicalBuy Tickets
- Sat 16th Jun 2018 Heritage Live Summer Concerts, Alfie BoeKenwood House (London)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Heritage Live Summer Concerts, Kris KristoffersonKenwood House (London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Jun 2018 Heritage Live Summer Concerts, Royal Philharmonic Concert Or...: Movie Themes of John WilliamsKenwood House (London)Buy Tickets
- Sun 24th Jun 2018 Last Night of the Kenwood Proms: Heritage Live Summer Concerts, Katherine Jenkins, Royal Phil...Kenwood House (London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Jul 2018 Stonehaven Folk Festival, AltanStonehaven Town Hall (Aberdeenshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 13th Jul 2018 Heritage Live Summer Concerts, Here and Now - The Very Best ...Audley End (Saffron Walden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Jul 2018 Heritage Live Summer Concerts, Jess Glynne, Ella Eyre, Louis...Audley End (Saffron Walden)Buy Tickets
- Sun 15th Jul 2018 Heritage Live Summer Concerts, 2CellosAudley End (Saffron Walden)Buy Tickets
- Sun 22nd Jul 2018 The Stunning, The AcademicFestival Big Top (Galway)Buy Tickets
- Fri 31st Aug 2018 Heritage Live Summer Concerts, Van Morrison, The Waterboys, ...Wrest Park - Silsoe (Bedfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Sep 2018 Sharon Shannon, Mary BlackGlenRoyal Hotel (Kildare)Buy Tickets
- Thu 20th Sep 2018 Sharon Shannon, Mary CoughlanLime Tree Theatre (Limerick)Buy Tickets
- Fri 17th May 2019 to Sat 25th May 2019 The Icicle Works: 35th AnniversaryBuy Tickets