The Pigeon Detectives announce November 2011 UK tour - tickets on sale Friday 8th July
Posted: 1st July 2011
Five or so years ago, as the Kaiser Chiefs and, most dramatically, the Arctic Monkeys, were drawing attention to Yorkshire's burgeoning indie scene, another band were dutifully bringing up the rear.
Formed in 2006, the Pigeon Detectives released their debut album, 'Wait For Me', in 2007. It was an immediate radio hit, chocked full as it was with disposable indie gold. Hit after hit followed; 'I Found Out', 'Take Her Back', 'Romantic Type' and 'I'm Not Sorry' all made the top 20 and the debut LP peaked at No 3. Boom.
Instantly hummable, every Pigeon Detectives track had a chorus you'd learned by the end of the second verse and, before long, their gigs earned a reputation as raucous, fun indie sing-alongs. The second LP, 'Emergency', picked up exactly where the last left off.
At Radio 1's Big Weekend in Maidstone in 2008, lead singer Matt Bowman was so caught up in the excitement of it all that one of his trademark leaps from the drum kit ended with a serious leg injury. He gamely tried to run it off before being taken to hospital and cancelling subsequent dates.
It had happened as the Pigeon Detectives were airing fresh material, specifically the new album's title track 'Emergency'. Some things you can't make up.
After taking some time out, the band's third album, 'Up, Guards And At 'Em!' was released in March. Following a successful spring tour and an August holiday weekend date at the Leeds and Reading festivals (playing the main stage), the Pigeon Detectives will be taking the new record on the road again in the autumn.
The tour starts on 6th November in Newcastle, visiting Preston, Manchester, Sheffield, Lincoln, Birmingham, and London's Electric Ballroom, among others, before a hometown gig at Leeds Academy on 24th November.
Two Scotland dates follow, in Edinburgh and Dundee (25th and 26th). Tickets for all shows go on sale on Friday 8th July at 9AM, priced from £15.
- Fri 31st Jul 2020 Tramlines Festival, Ian Brown, The Kooks, Pale Waves, La Roux, The Pigeon Detectives, The Big Moon Hillsborough Park (Sheffield) Buy Tickets
- Sun 6th Sep 2020 Neighbourhood Weekender, Catfish and the Bottlemen, Paul Heaton, Jacqui Abbott, The Wombats, Miles Kane, Tom Walker, Sundara Karma, Sea Girls, The Lightning Seeds, The Pigeon Detectives, Inhaler, Sports Team, The Snuts, The Lathums, Working Men's Club, The Mysterines, Talk Show Victoria Park (Warrington) Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th Sep 2020 Shed Seven, The Pigeon Detectives, The Wedding Present Piece Hall (Halifax) Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Oct 2020 The Pigeon Detectives Queen Margaret Union - QMU (Glasgow) Buy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Oct 2020 The Pigeon Detectives, Marsicans, Good Cop Bad Cop Hull University Students Union/ Middleton Hall/ Asylum (Hull) Buy Tickets
- Sun 25th Oct 2020 The Pigeon Detectives The Empire (Middlesbrough) Buy Tickets
- Wed 28th Oct 2020 The Pigeon Detectives O2 Institute (Birmingham) Buy Tickets
- Thu 29th Oct 2020 The Pigeon Detectives, Good Cop Bad Cop, LONA O2 Academy Leeds (Leeds) Buy Tickets
- Fri 27th Nov 2020 The Pigeon Detectives, Marsicans, LONA O2 Forum (Kentish Town) Buy Tickets