The Vaccines announce autumn 2011 UK tour - tickets on sale Friday 1st July
The Vaccines' rise to fame has been whatever comes after 'meteoric'. Last weekend, just 12 months after forming, they were playing a mid-afternoon slot on the Other Stage at Glastonbury.
Championed by Beyoncé-avoider Zane Lowe, Q magazine and short-listed in the BBC Sound of 2011 poll, acolytes were queuing up long before the debut LP was even recorded. When it was released, in March 2011, 'What Did You Expect from the Vaccines?' peaked at an impressive No 4 in the UK album charts.
The demo for 'If You Wanna' - a by-numbers stomping indie anthem - had been doing the rounds since the early days but the first single was 'Wreckin' Bar (Ra Ra Ra)', released as a double A-side with 'Blow It Up'. Zane Lowe promptly declared it that week's Hottest Record IN THE WORLD, which obviously made the whole world stop and think.
'If You Wanna' was later released as the third single from the album, followed by possibly the best yet, 'All in White' (out now, kids). Thankfully, the strength of the last two releases means we can gloss over the terrible, awful, obvious, dreary, cringe-worthy, sixth-former chemistry-folder nonsense of 'Post Break-up Sex'.
The Vaccines are not going to change the world (unlike an actual vaccine) but theirs is a classic indie sound and it will always find an audience. With a vocal reminiscent of Madchester-era Tom Hingley (of the Inspiral Carpets) and a soulful indie motif that sounds like Embrace demos, The Vaccines' are continuing a long (and great) tradition of classic British indie music.
And their diary is no doubt filling up, not least with a dozen new dates announced for the autumn, beginning at the O2 Academy Newcastle on 21st November. The tour takes in Lincoln, Leeds and Leamington Spa, among others, before the final show at the Brixton Academy on 7th December.
Tickets go on sale at 9AM on Friday 1st July, priced £15 (£17.50 for London - on sale now). If you wanna see them, you'll need to be on your toes as all dates are expected to sell out quickly.
If you can't get hold of tickets, there are plenty of other opportunities to see The Vaccines this year. They play Hyde Park on 30th June (with Arcade Fire and Mumford and Sons), the Lounge on the Farm festival (8th July), T in the Park (10th July) [face value tickets now sold-out - Ed], Latitude (15th July), Belfast's Belsonic festival - supporting Beady Eye (20th August) and Leeds/Reading on the August holiday weekend.
They're also supporting the Arctic Monkeys on their autumn UK arena tour.
You may be interested in
- Thu 23rd Aug 2018 Leeds FestivalBramham Park (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Thu 23rd Aug 2018 Reading FestivalLittle John's Farm (Reading)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 Leeds Festival, Kings Of Leon, The Courteeners, Skepta, The ...Bramham Park (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 Reading Festival, Fall Out Boy, Post Malone, Wolf Alice, Not...Little John's Farm (Reading)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th Aug 2018 Leeds Festival, Fall Out Boy, Post Malone, Wolf Alice, Nothi...Bramham Park (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th Aug 2018 Reading Festival, Kendrick Lamar, Panic! At The Disco, Dua L...Little John's Farm (Reading)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th Aug 2018 Leeds Festival, Kendrick Lamar, Panic! At The Disco, Dua Lip...Bramham Park (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th Aug 2018 Reading Festival, Kings Of Leon, The Courteeners, Skepta, Th...Little John's Farm (Reading)Buy Tickets
- Thu 6th Sep 2018 and Fri 7th Sep 2018 Arctic Monkeys, The Lemon TwigsManchester Arena (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 9th Sep 2018 to Thu 13th Sep 2018 Arctic Monkeys, The Lemon TwigsThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Sep 2018 Arctic Monkeys, The Lemon TwigsArena Birmingham (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Sun 16th Sep 2018 Arctic MonkeysArena Birmingham (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Tue 18th Sep 2018 to Sat 22nd Sep 2018 Arctic Monkeys, The Lemon TwigsFlyDSA Sheffield Arena (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Mon 24th Sep 2018 and Tue 25th Sep 2018 Arctic Monkeys, The Lemon Twigs3arena (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Thu 27th Sep 2018 Arctic Monkeys, The Lemon TwigsMetro Radio Arena (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Sep 2018 Arctic MonkeysMetro Radio Arena (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets