Steve Earle and the Dukes (and Duchesses) - UK/ Ireland autumn 2011 dates on sale now
Alt-country legend Steve Earle has been writing and performing for around 40 years and has, at times, been as renowned for his politics as his music although he usually combines the two.
When he first started performing, he was too young to play in bars and clubs so would perform in coffee houses, alongside anti-war protest singers with whom he found much common ground. It was the launch-pad for a career protesting against aggressive US foreign policy and of staunch opposition to the use of the death penalty in America.
Much of which has inspired and influenced his music; 'Over Yonder (Jonathan's Song)' was written about death row prisoner Jonathan Wayne Nobles with whom Earle had been in contact. At Nobles' request, the musician attended his 1998 execution.
The US conservative right also accused Earle of sympathising with terrorists when he wrote 'John Walker's Blues' about captured American Taliban fighter John Walker Lindh. Most missed the point that speaking out against or about such issues was an act of great patriotism.
For the most part, his music - these love letters to the disaffected - continued to strike a chord and won him a great many fans and a vast number of awards, award nominations and film credits.
After more than a dozen studio albums, Steve Earle (with the Dukes - and Duchesses) will be bringing his latest material (from 2011's 'I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive'), his colossal back catalogue and four decades of political and social commentary back to the UK later this year.
Off the back of his 70-date 2011 US tour, Earle will be playing several dates in the UK in the autumn, starting at Cardiff's St David's Hall on 24th October, at the Royal Festival Hall the following evening, then Glasgow York, and Birmingham's Symphony Hall on 31st October before crossing the Irish sea and heading to the Olympia Theatre in Dublin on 6th November.
Tickets for all shows are available now, prices starting at £28.50 (£30 for London).
You may be interested in
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 and Sat 17th Nov 2018 Blackberry SmokeBuy Tickets
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 Trampled by TurtlesElectric Ballroom (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 Punch BrothersBarbican (City of London)Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 and Sat 17th Nov 2018 Shakey GravesBuy Tickets
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 and Sat 17th Nov 2018 J.P. HarrisBuy Tickets
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 SupersuckersOslo (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Nov 2018 to Sat 15th Dec 2018 The Men They Couldn't HangBuy Tickets
- Sat 17th Nov 2018 Thomas Rhett, Devin DawsonEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Nov 2018 to Sat 2nd Mar 2019 Andy Fairweather LowBuy Tickets
- Sat 17th Nov 2018 to Sun 9th Dec 2018 Jade BirdBuy Tickets
- Sat 17th Nov 2018 to Wed 21st Nov 2018 Seasick SteveBuy Tickets
- Sat 17th Nov 2018 to Fri 23rd Nov 2018 Amy RigbyBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Nov 2018 and Mon 19th Nov 2018 Alela DianeBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Nov 2018 Peter Bruntnell, B. J. ColeCaroline Street Social Club/ Live Room (Shipley)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Nov 2018 Kim RicheyThe Cabbage Patch/ Eel Pie Club (Twickenham)Buy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 to Fri 7th Dec 2018 Midland [US]Buy Tickets
- Tue 20th Nov 2018 Leyla McCalla, London Jazz FestivalCadogan Hall (Kensington and Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Tue 20th Nov 2018 and Wed 21st Nov 2018 Cam PennerBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 to Thu 31st Jan 2019 The Wandering HeartsBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 to Sun 2nd Dec 2018 Dan StuartBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 to Wed 30th Jan 2019 Israel NashBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 to Sat 30th Mar 2019 Mike DenverBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 Dar WilliamsThe Workman's Club (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 to Fri 3rd May 2019 Christy MooreBuy Tickets
- Sun 25th Nov 2018 to Sun 2nd Dec 2018 Brothers OsborneBuy Tickets
- Sun 25th Nov 2018 to Sat 1st Dec 2018 Becca MancariBuy Tickets
- Mon 26th Nov 2018 and Tue 27th Nov 2018 Country Roads - A Celebration Of John DenverBuy Tickets
- Mon 26th Nov 2018 Maren MorrisOmeara (Southwark)Buy Tickets
- Thu 29th Nov 2018 to Thu 28th Mar 2019 Islands in the StreamBuy Tickets
- Thu 29th Nov 2018 and Sun 2nd Dec 2018 Peter BruntnellBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 Red Pine Timber CompanyBlue Lamp (Aberdeen)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 to Sat 8th Dec 2018 The WaterboysBuy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Dec 2018 and Sun 14th Apr 2019 Raymond FroggattBuy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Dec 2018 Honey RyderFulford Village Hall (Stoke-on-Trent)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Dec 2018 Zervas and PepperThe Globe (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Dec 2018 to Tue 4th Dec 2018 The WildheartsBuy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Dec 2018 Jade Bird, Sea Girls, Another Sky, Billie Marten, Matt Malte...Notting Hill Arts Club (Notting Hill)Buy Tickets
- Tue 4th Dec 2018 to Fri 14th Dec 2018 Thea GilmoreBuy Tickets
- Tue 4th Dec 2018 and Wed 5th Dec 2018 Josh T. PearsonBuy Tickets
- Tue 4th Dec 2018 and Sat 30th Mar 2019 Elles BaileyBuy Tickets
- Tue 4th Dec 2018 to Fri 15th Feb 2019 Micah P HinsonBuy Tickets
- Wed 5th Dec 2018 to Sun 9th Dec 2018 Molly HatchetBuy Tickets
- Wed 5th Dec 2018 Red Sky JulyGreen Note (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Thu 6th Dec 2018 and Fri 11th Jan 2019 Tim EdeyBuy Tickets
- Fri 7th Dec 2018 Rose-MarieViva Blackpool (Blackpool)Buy Tickets
- Mon 10th Dec 2018 to Fri 14th Dec 2018 Lera LynnBuy Tickets
- Wed 12th Dec 2018 to Sun 14th Apr 2019 Nathan CarterBuy Tickets
- Fri 14th Dec 2018 and Sat 15th Dec 2018 Daniel O'DonnellBuy Tickets
- Fri 14th Dec 2018 and Sat 15th Dec 2018 Pokey LafargeBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 to Sat 27th Apr 2019 Ferocious DogBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 The Pogue TradersQueen Margaret Union - QMU (Glasgow)Buy Tickets