Frank Turner and the Sleeping Souls for November 2011 UK tour - tickets on sale Friday 17th June
Frank Turner's name might make him sound like that guy that used to work at the garage with your dad but he is in fact just 29. He's also an Eton College alumnus and a friend of the Duke of Cambridge, Prince William.
And it was at school that Turner began his prolific musical career with the band, Kneejerk, who self-released three albums. In 2001, aged 20, Frank Turner joined Million Dead who themselves released two albums before splitting in 2005 due to 'irreconcilable differences'. Makes a change.
Turner started doing solo work before the Million Dead died and after some EPs and live shows, released his debut record, 'Sleep is for the Week', in 2007. A year later he released the follow-up 'Love Ire & Song' and it started to happen for young Frank. He supported Biffy Clyro, released a third LP and, in 2009, supported The Gaslight Anthem.
In 2011, he has released his fourth solo record and been bumped up to the main stage for this summer's Leeds and Reading Festivals. Despite the privilege of attending Eton and then the LSE (he studied history), Frank Turner has honed his indie punk folk sound with nothing less than hard graft.
Still not 30, he's already been involved, in one way or another, with NINE albums and a collection of his own otherwise unreleased demos. That's 10 records in 10 years. He's a grafter, for sure and it's paying off. He was nominated for Best Solo Artist and for Best Blog for the 2011 Shockwave NME Awards and is much talked about.
Typically, Frank Turner has a packed summer, having played Download as well as upcoming performances at the Blissfields Festival 2011, the Guernsey Festival, the Port Eliot festival, the Cambridge Folk Festival 2011, Newcastle's Ignition Festival 2011 and Kendal Calling 2011, as well as Leeds and Reading.
In addition, a batch of new dates has been announced with his band "the Sleeping Souls". Turner plays the Newport Centre on 23rd November, followed by gigs in Birmingham, Glasgow, Manchester and London. Support for the tour comes from Against Me! and Emily Barker and the Red Clay Halo.
Tickets for the new dates go on sale Friday 17th June from 9:30AM (9AM for Newport), priced at £16 (£17.50 for London).
You may also be interested in
- Fri 26th Jul 2019 to Sun 28th Jul 2019 Kendal CallingLowther Deer Park - Lowther Castle (Penrith)Buy Tickets
- Thu 1st Aug 2019 to Sun 4th Aug 2019 Cambridge Folk FestivalCherry Hinton Hall (Cambridge)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Aug 2019 Leeds Festival, Foo Fighters, Bastille, The Distillers, Not3...Bramham Park (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Aug 2019 Reading Festival, The 1975, Juice WRLD, Pale Waves, CamelPha...Little John's Farm (Reading)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Aug 2019 Leeds Festival, The 1975, Juice WRLD, Pale Waves, CamelPhat,...Bramham Park (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Aug 2019 Reading Festival, Post Malone, Twenty One Pilots, Blossoms, ...Little John's Farm (Reading)Buy Tickets
- Sun 25th Aug 2019 Leeds Festival, Post Malone, Twenty One Pilots, Blossoms, Bi...Bramham Park (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sun 25th Aug 2019 Reading Festival, Foo Fighters, Bastille, The Distillers, No...Little John's Farm (Reading)Buy Tickets